Start by marking “Freedom from Want: The Remarkable Success Story of BRAC, the Global Grassroots Organization That's Winning the Fight Against Poverty” as Want to Read:

This title traces BRAC's evolution from a small relief operation indistinguishable from hundreds of others, into what is undoubtedly the largest and most variegated social experiment in the developing world.
Published April 1st 2009 by Kumarian Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Freedom from Want, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freedom from Want

Maksud
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always wanted to know the reason behind paradox of Bangladesh. Despite political turmoil how a nation can see promising growth. NGOs' like BRAC, CARE have played a great role in the development of Bangladesh. Nutrition , child healthcare, tuberculosis or diarrhea are just a fragment of sectors improved radically by BRAC. I really liked the way contexts are broken down. It started with "Why" a development model was chosen , what obstacles were faced & how they managed it. How a long term vi ...more
James Centenera
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-have-a-copy
Great story about an amazing organisation.
Poppy
May 05, 2009 is currently reading it
I am really interested in getting further into this book - whenever that happens! I have recently been hearing more and more coverage of aid organizations/people in need and the topic has become especially intriguing as a result. I received this book as a gift of sorts. It traces the history of BRAC which is an aid organization in the global fight against poverty. Here's part of the description, which makes what would normally sound like a chore to read something that I'm excited to read (I'll l ...more
Rebecca
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a fascinating tale of an NGO's development. It is fairly well written, though the first three chapters are confusing and hard to follow; they would have been better condensed and written in the style the other chapters were. I would also have changed the chapter titles. Many of them were cute and creative, but told me nothing about the chapter topic. I am definitely interested to see how BRAC continues to develop as an organization and hope that other NGO's can use the principles BR ...more
Braden
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it
It is amazing what an organization that really wants to help people can do. BRAC, the NGO discussed in this book, is a Bangladeshi group founded on research, innovation, and evaluation to help the poor. Its success is undeniable. Definitely learned a lot from this book about NGO administration and working with the poor.
Jrohde
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
a good run down of the philosophy and work of BRAC, although the accuracy of the historical beginnings is considerably flawed. for anyone interested in BRAC and how it works and what it has done over 30 years, a good book. Well written and informative.
Chris
Nov 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Best book I've found on BRAC, though I've done minimal digging. If you are considering reading one of the Yunus/Grameen books, I'd recommend BRAC and this book instead. A truly remarkable story.
Alice Korngold
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very well told about one of the world's most remarkable NGOs. Many lessons about alleviating poverty as well as building highly effective organizations. I highly recommend!
Nadia Ahmed
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book to read to know what BRAC has done for Bangladesh!!
Chet Aldrich
Dec 16, 2013
Ian Smillie
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
“This is the basis for the most important critique of microfinance. The poor are not entrepreneurs. The idea that more than a few will turn tiny loans into a viable business is simply unrealistic.” 1 likes