Start by marking “My Father's Keeper” as Want to Read:
My Father's Keeper

My Father's Keeper

A powerful and compelling memoir of growing up with a schizophrenic father, who hid his mental illness behind a charismatic larger-than-life, gluttonous personality and found logical explanations for the most bizarre ways of thinking. As a child Julie was close to her father. More friend than parent, he would belt her into their tiny car and they'd punch through yellow lig ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Harper Element

To ask other readers questions about My Father's Keeper, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Naomi
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-have-brought
Source: I got this book out from the library

First sentence: I was born on the day of Liberace, May 16th to be exact, The Day of Outrageous Flair.

This book is a true story written in first person as Julie Gregory, it is about her growing up with her father who was schizophrenic, and an unstable mother, it starts from when she was very young through to her growing up into an adult.

Julie feels as though she has to protect her father from everything in order to keep his temperament even, she grew up
Zeina Harris
Dec 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
It was such a horrible book. I had a really hard time sticking to it but I had to finish it just because I bought it. It had no plot and the stupidest ending ever
Ashikkin Nor
Not my cup of tea. It's the writer's summary of her once difficult life so it was a mere narration of what happened.
Jack
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I cannot relate to Julie. At all. Even when I try, I cannot. I am the kind of person who believes that we all have our own hell to face. We deal with the pain and suffering in our own ways. But, I cannot find myself to pity Julie at all, even when I tried even when I want to. It was a sad story, a recollection of a broken childhood past that could have easily made others cry or wish that they could have been there to save her somehow. Not I.

Though it was beautifully written, it felt as if it was
Natasha
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book for books-sake. An easy-read about an unfortunate life. I have read more harrowing life-stories, this didn't quite touch my heart. There was a lot of repetition and also a lack of consistency (Carol or Carole?).
Kel
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started reading this and can just tell from the writing style and the way the book is written that it was not for me. I don't waste time with books that do not capture me anymore and this is one for the not to be finished pile.
Michelle Mckenzie
Every female wants to be Daddy's little girl. This book deserves a 5 star rating because it eloquently captures a little girl's undying love for her father. This book will definitely bring you to tears, but in the end it'll be worth it.
Kirsty
Jul 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read this book Because the first one was such an eye opener. I am so disappointed by this book. There was no order. It was always changing.
I was amazed at how there wasn't a link between the two books. It was just casually mentioned towards the end. it was like it had never happened
Dodoworld
Jul 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Done. . so silly
Rachael
May 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
couldnt finish this - it bored me
Sue Heald
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot more difficult to get into than the author's first book - "Sickened", however it was a testament to the author that she survived the trauma with strength and courage.
Alisha Brook
Title: My Father's Keeper
Series: -
Author: Julie Gregory
Genre: True Story
Rating: 3 stars

Based on a true story, we are given the chance to see inside the lives of others, and for a little while experience what Julie Gregory experienced. This story details the reality of living with a Schizophrenic father. Not a bad read. If you have any interest in mental illness and the effects it has on people's lives this is one you should read.
Sharon Usher
real hard going book. struggled to keep on reading it
Tina Holmes
Amy Eutsler
Jul 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Lesbian Kama Sutra
  • Accused (Kindle Single)
  • Skins: Summer Holiday (Skins, #2)
  • Ties That Bind: Familial Homophobia and Its Consequences
  • Hospital Babylon
  • Fractured
  • Dance with the Devil: A Memoir of Murder and Loss
  • Call Me Evil, Let Me Go: A Mother's Struggle to Save Her Children from a Brutal Religious Cult
  • Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder