Start by marking “Border-Line Personalities: A New Generation of Latinas Dish on Sex, Sass, and Cultural Shifting” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Why, in the minds of most Americans, are Latinas still thought of as maids, seductresses, and booty-shaking salsa divas?

Never has the concept of Latina identity been more relevant. Also, never has there been a new generation of Latinas so ready to say what they mean and even criticize the Latina generation that preceded them. Until now.

In Border-Line Personalities, twenty
Published July 6th 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Border-Line Personalities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Border-Line Personalities

Emelda
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’d really give it a 3.5.

The last essay was boooooring. And I take offense that the unhealthy, non-monogamous relationship was referred to as “polyamorous” (after I got all excited when they mentioned it in the intro!). There were a few token queers, so I guess there’s that. I was happiest when people were talking about their childhoods and, or especially, when the writing was partially en español, even if I had to look up some words in the dictionary because I’m the worst Chicana ever (but they
Jez
Nov 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
a gift from Ms. B that made me4 feel right at home.
Kristy
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Remember buying this at the Barnes and Noble near Fisherman's Wharf In SF. I moved to SF to do something big, be alone, and find myself. This book was a silly part of my subsequent (i think fourth) attempt of self discovery. I was in my crunchy SF intercultural awareness class at the time.

One of the editors is from my hometown. Think I thought maybe her involvement in this book would ensure that I understood something new about myself. It's a book full of essays from various Latinas. Truth be to
Paula
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Sigh. What I thought might provide insight into the "Latina-American perspective" did nothing of the sort. Of course, you might think I'd have guessed that sooner. After all, the back cover states that the essays lend "credence to the theory that no one can label any one item, idea, or person more Latina than the other." Doesn't this negate the very concept of the book? If one person can't be more or less Latina, wouldn't that make me a Latina?

At any rate, this is a collection of essays from mo
Sasha
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Latin@ readers
I'm conflicted. Picking up the book, I expected there to be a greater focus on identity-- Just what does it mean to be a Latina in this day and age? How does reality negate existing stereotypes? etc etc. But this doesn't read like a compilation of introspective pieces on the ethnic (Latina) self; rather, the short memoir-style stories cover all topics, at times only very loosely tying back into what is supposed to be the overarching theme. So is it a book on Latina experience or just a number of ...more
Cinemagirl
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I could I would launch a campaign to put this book in the hands of every young latina. I read it when I was 18 and it opened my eyes! Having already dealt with some of the issues talked about in the book and in the middle of experiencing others this book really gave me some good insight from women like me. It was a good feeling to read the stories and hear women explaining the way they felt and or feel and being able to identify with that. It was like having a "Being a latina in the U.S." Ins ...more
Lidia
May 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I was hoping to relate to one or more of these indidvidual stories, seeign as how I am a first generation Latina born here in the USA. However, I didn't find myself relating to any of them so it made me like the book less. I understand that everyone has different experiences, but I can't even think of any of my latina female friends that could relate to these stories, which made them more ficticious to me.
Lauren
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book that speaks to my American Mutt-ness. The women writers in this book express their own versions of being a Latina living in the U.S. Each story is different and it made me appreciate my own unique story. Best part, it's at the Logan Square library!
Kelly
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I started to read this book a few years ago and I was disappointed. However, after seeing such good reviews I think I may have to give it another chance.
Jeanette Cupcake
Jan 07, 2008 rated it liked it
i picked this book up at the bookstore in oaxaca because it seemed really interesting, and it was. easy reading about women in different latin cultures.
Katherine Spencer Inskeep
A collection of essays by Latina writers on a variety of topics. Interesting, if a bit too long or too many essays.
Andrea
Aug 07, 2011 added it
You have to read this book!!!! (even if you're a man)
Angie
Nov 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I really appreciate these women for being so honest in their stories. I could relate to alot of their conflicts. I especially like "American girl" "Se Habla Espanol" and "You're half spanish right?"
Lanette
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book!!! I would recommend this book to everyone especially latina women!!! Love it, love it, love it!!!
Sofia Galvez
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-science
love this book. IT spoke to me.
Monica
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good essays I was able to read and connect with except the last essay. Could've used a better story to close out the book.
Veronica
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stories that every Latina must read.
Glendalee
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some of these essays were good while others I rushed through because they didn't capture my attention.
Maria