Start by marking “Off the Chart (Thorn, #8)” as Want to Read:
Off the Chart (Thorn, #8)

Off the Chart

(Thorn Mystery #8)

Before Thorn fell in love with crime-scene photographer Alexandra Rafferty, he was involved with Anne Joy, a beautiful woman who abandoned a violent life to forge a new, happier one in the Florida Keys. But her past includes her sadistic brother Vic, now a wealthy rogue businessman who specializes in the hijacking of pleasure boats and who delights in cruelly murdering ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published September 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Chart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Chart

Start your review of Off the Chart (Thorn, #8)
Dru
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was given this by my Aunt. I may have a new series to collect. Love this book.
False
I'm reading through all of James W. Hall this summer. I have about six more books to go. This one didn't make as much of an impression on me as others. He responds to an old girlfriend when a new girlfriend is next to him. WHAT?!? Sugarman's ex-wife marries a rich psychic and one of his daughter's his kidnaps (and somehow you feel the bratty one not taken will pop up again in the future.) There's a convoluted Kentucky hillbilly theme running throughout, plus "true" bad guys and high water ...more
Amy Phelps
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was not impressed. There was too much going on & too much confusion for me. It all revolves around some kids who grew up believing pirates were worth emulating. A brother who doesn’t like anyone his sister dates so he becomes a pain in the a$$. A convoluted kidnapping and murder scenario. I don’t k ow why he kept everything secret from his girlfriend. If it were me I would have explained things just to have her help.
Helen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Bit terrified by the prologue but kept reading and now want to read the series.
Janet Martin
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although Thorn is even more annoying than usual, this episode is tightly plotted and absolutely impossible to put down
Tom
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good cast of characters in a compelling adventure story. Good escape for commute reading...
Hubert
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent thriller, set in South Florida. A guy, Vic Joy, on the lam and his sister end up in South Florida after murdering of some neighbors in Kentucky. Turns out they are wanna-be 20th-21st century pirates, embroiled in some scheme to rob large ships of their cargo. The sister, Anne, was briefly in an affair with main character Thorn, who by the end of the novel ends up getting entangled with Vic Joy, who proves to be a truly evil presence by the end of the novel. In order to get a passcode ...more
Brian Getz
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
James W. Hall goes back to his eastern Kentucky roots and brings them to the Keys.
Tim Armstrong
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this straight after Blackwater Sound. Probably better than Blackwater Sound but this guy can seriously write thrillers!
Another book set in the Florida Keys. I want to visit this place, but some the whacko's in this and Carl Hiassen makes me wonder if it's worth it. But certainly Hall is worth it!! He's special and I must read more of James Hall's books.
J. Ewbank
James W. Hall was unfamiliar to me when I read this book. It was an interesting read and a little unusual but it is certainly worth reading. The plot is enjoyable and you get caught up in the story and want it to end according to your plan.

Would be happy to read other books by this author because he knows how to write.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Doreene
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Do you believe that there are modern day pirates? Well this book talks about pirates in the area of Flordia and what they might be up to. We slide into the world of priates when the author has one of the characters , who is the son of a mafia don, proclaim that he is a pirate. Interesting read. One of those kind of books you bring to the beach with you.
Ed
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
#8 in the Thorn series.

Thorn's ex-lover Ann Bonney Joy goes off with her new boyfriend to be a pirate and hijack ships with a high tech computer system. Her brother Vic, a wealthy FL crime lord who covets Thorn's property, kidnaps Sugerman's daughter to force Thorn into line. Vic also plans to form a world-wide pirate consortium with the help of his sister's software knowledge.
Jill Manske
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is my first James Hall book, and it will most likely be my last. I was really disappointed in the convoluted plot and the fractured storyline. I didn't much care for the characters, either; they were superficial and one-dimensional and their relationships with one another didn't make much sense. This is not a book I would recommend to anyone.
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is another fine entry in series featuring Thorn, that off-the-grid, fly-tier from Florida. A former flame is the reason he's dragged into a scheme of modern day pirates. This is pretty much like Hall's other Thorn books and it's nice to hook up with an old friend.
Ricardo
Oct 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
I really did not like this book. I barely managed to finish it and it is definitely the last one by this author that I read
Andrew Carter
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thorn is a great character. It seemed to me that the book started slow but picked up as it went forward.
Robert
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
I could not finish this felt all characters unbelievable and could not care what happened very rare for me not to finish book especially as at least half way through
Daniel
Jun 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(First Edition)
Rapidio
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not too bad of a book. At least I finished it, which is more than I can say for some more highly touted books I have picked up.
Julie
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
a little slow to start but still enjoyable. part of a series with the same character. not necessary to read in order, but would add depth to the storyline.
Kay
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great story about modern piracy.
Larry
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Always a good, suspenseful read with Hall, who manages to keep you on the edge of your seat without a "cliffhanger" every 3 pages.
Glennie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads, florida
Suspenseful!
Jill Black
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like how he's bringing all of the characters from the different books together. And I Adore Alex' dad Lawton.
Marcella
Shirley Dethlefson
Jun 15, 2014

• 24 Hours
  • A Death in Sweden
  • Greeks Bearing Gifts (Bernie Gunther, #13)
  • The Names of the Dead
  • A Fragile Thing
  • The Good Detective
  • Among the Dead
  • The Hunter's Prayer
  • The Traitor's Story
  • Dark Flag
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #20)
  • Down the River Unto the Sea
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)
  • Roses
  • Robert B. Parker's Old Black Magic (Spenser, #46)
  • To Die in Vienna
  • Blood Never Dies (Bill Slider,#15)

James Wilson Hall is an Edgar and Shamus Award-winning author whose books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has written eighteen novels, four books of poetry, a collection of short stories, and a collection of He also won a John D. MacDonald Award for

Thorn Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
  • Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)
  • Mean High Tide (Thorn, #3)
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • Buzz Cut (Thorn, #5)
  • Red Sky at Night (Thorn, #6)
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
  • Silencer (Thorn, #11)
“isn’t the greatest loss in life,’” Lawton said to Anne. “‘The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” 0 likes