Start by marking “The Broken Lands (Empire of the East, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Lands (Empire of the East, #1)

The Broken Lands (Empire of the East #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  220 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The passing of thousands of years left the planet Earth a series of broken lands...a mutated world of distant alien empires and near-at-hand rapacious satraps.

The hunted common people were sustained by one last legend - that some day one would come who would "rise the Elephant" and thereby bring back the Golden Age.

This is the gripping novel of the young rebel who found ou
Paperback, Ace #G-740, 191 pages
Published 1968 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Lands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Lands

Richard
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have wanted to read Fred Saberhagen's Sword books for a long time and I had read somewhere that this trilogy was the precursor to them. Perhaps if I had read this when it was originally published I would have liked it more. It was boring and flat to me. In a post apocalyptic world the Empire of the East is enslaving the people of the west. The resistance are looking for the fabled 'Elephant' and their prophesized leader, Ardneh, to free them. Very short and lacking details, it seemed more like ...more
Derek
The Empire of the East, represented west of the Broken Mountains by a collection of satraps on the frontier, is your fairly standard evil land-conquering organization of a type endlessly imitated/replicated by genre fiction. Purpose of conquest and subjugation: check. Evil overlord who hangs rebels by their thumbs outside the pterodactyl roost: check. Smoking hot evil daughter of overlord: check. Evil wizard who secretly loves evil daughter of overlord: check. One wonders if this story or series ...more
Mark Hodder
Magic versus technology is something of a cliche now but wasn't when this was written (1968), and though it's been done better since, this genre mash-up (sword & sorcery and sci-fi) still offers some excitement. Saberhagen writes well (I think he's underrated) and throws in plenty of intriguing ideas. Sufficient to make me want to move on to book 2 of the trilogy.
Davis Emmanuel
I started and stopped this book many times over the years. Once I finished, I realized why: this book is kinda bad. It sets the framework for one of my favorite series of all time, but man getting through it was a chore.
Mark Hodder
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is the first of the Empire of the East trilogy, which forms the back story for Saberhagen's Book of Swords series. Straight away, it feels dated by virtue of obvious Cold War references, along with what is now a very well-worn science vs. magic theme. That wouldn't be a problem if there was vigour in the storytelling, but there isn't. This felt to me like an author writing because it's his job rather than because it's his passion. Nothing really engaged my interest. I give it two stars only ...more
Jeff Crosby
Odd short novel of a post apocalyptic world with some technology mixed with magic. The story is slight for Saberhagen, but the premise is sound. He obviously saw some of the shortcomings when he combined this with its two sequels into a single revised volume as Empire of the East.
Daniel Swensen
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, pulp
Fun pulp sci-fi in the classic vein, mixing magic and technology in liberal measure. May seem a bit tin-eared to modern sensibilities, but I think it holds up well. That ending is quite the unabashed lead-in to a future book, though!
Jacinta
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy, 2015
Not bad, I liked it better than his Swords books but it is very similar. Probably won't chase up the rest of the trilogy.
Keith
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Three in One; From "Empire Of The East"; Book 1
Colin
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: junk-food-lit
An odd combination of post-atomic-apocalypse-sci-fi and sword-and-sorcery . . . not exactly my kind of combination of genres, but well-written, and with some really good ideas . . .
  • The Fallible Fiend (Novarian, #3)
  • The Blue Star
  • The Book of Wonder
  • Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Lacey and His Friends
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • Design for Great-Day
  • Wheels Within Wheels (The LaNague Federation, #2)
  • Down the Bright Way
  • Vita Nostra (Метаморфозы, #1)
  • Ghosthunt
  • Dragon Rigger (Star Rigger, #3)
  • Blood Brothers
  • Cold Allies
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
Fred Saberhagen was an American science fiction and fantasy author most famous for his ''Beserker'' and Dracula stories.

Saberhagen also wrote a series of a series of post-apocalyptic mytho-magical novels beginning with his popular ''Empire of the East'' and continuing through a long series of ''Swords'' and ''Lost Swords'' novels. Saberhagen died of cancer, in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Saberhagen was
More about Fred Saberhagen...

Empire of the East (4 books)
  • The Black Mountains (Empire of the East, #2)
  • Ardneh's World (Empire of the East, #3)
  • Ardneh's Sword (Empire of the East, #4)