Start by marking “Gefährliche Possen. Komische phantastische Geschichten.” as Want to Read:
Gefährliche Possen. Komische phantastische Geschichten.

Gefährliche Possen. Komische phantastische Geschichten. (Comic Tales of Fantasy #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  1,580 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Theatre of Cruelty - Terry Pratchett; How Nuth Would Have Practised His Art upon the Gnoles - Lord Dunsany; Hell Hath No Fury - John Collier; The Twonky - Henry Kuttner; A Great Deal of Power - Eric Frank Russell; Doodad - Ray Bradbury; Not By Its Cover - Philip K. Dick; The Rule of Names - Ursula K. Le Guin; Mythological Beast - Stephen Donaldson; The Adventure of the Sno ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Gefährliche Possen. Komische phantastische Geschichten.

Graham
Ewa
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very wide range of light short stories, so everyone will probably find something just for himself. The ones that made themselves memorable for me are the following:
- P. K. Dick's story about the wub's skin and its immortalizing qualities (nice choice of experimental "wubby" texts, e. g. Lucretius)
- F. Austey's epic of how a lawyer transported to the world of glass ball saved the princess by defeating the dragon with rat repellent
- A. Davidson's deploring the irreparable loss of the last livin
Chris
Has some funny stories and some not so funny. Roughly half are funny, so it's a pretty mixed bag.
Lynda
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read.
Ondřej Puczok
Stejně jako u druhého dílu (který jsem tedy četl jako první - Čaroplavci ), jde o zajímavou směs opravdu dobrého čtení, (nad)průměrného vyprávění, podivností, bizáru ale taky nezajímavých kousků. Bavila především poslední třetina věnovaná žánru "space-opera", podivná byla ta prostřední hrdinská. Zajímavé, jak na tomto malém prostoru někteří známí autoři nefungují a některé jsem si hned napsal do seznamu k dalšímu prozkoumání. Bavilo...
Uber
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
Thoroughly enjoyable collection of great work from great authors. The long winded introductions to each book might seem a little too long, but they are well researched and full of leads for more enjoyable fiction. Well done.
Aelvana
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Masters of science fiction and fantasy indeed: this collection pulls short stories from genre-breakers and blazers who shaped science fiction and fantasy into what they are today. The stories are almost exclusively reprints (with the possible exception of Douglas Adams' who apparently added a few things for this volume). That said, it could be a worthwhile read to get a taste of the variety in the field.

Many of the stories were good; I'll highlight two in particular. "The Twonky," by Henry Kuttn
Brodysatva
A book of light short stories, although, as I'm struggling to read at the moment, the book has taken me weeks rather than hours to get through. The good? Well, I don't want to provide spoilers, so won't, but Terry Pratchett's 'Theatre Of Cruelty' was a great opener. My other favourites, and I'm going to limit myself to two, were Fredric Brown's 'The Ring Of Hans Carvel' with it's lewd but hilarious punchline and Asimov's 'Playboy and the Slime God'. I love the fact that Brown got away with this ...more
Lea
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book of short stories has some of my favorite authors (Pratchett, LeGuin, Douglass Adams), and some of the best known, most established science fiction and fantasy writers (Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Clarke, Lewis, Wells, to name just a few) yet I found it highly irritating and completely unsatisfying. I believe the editor, Haining was trying to make a compendium of every science fiction writer that had ever been considered witty or clever, which is great, but... jeeze, it was painful to read. ...more
Adobe
Apr 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of "humorous" science-fiction/fantasy stories. It includes "The Twonky." Because alien mind-control devices killing people is hilarious. I mean, "The Twonky" is an okay story, but it's a "comedy" only through comparison with the incredibly dull and humorless backdrop that is mainstream SF. Half of the stories here were genuinely funny, and half were just...stories told with some sardonic twist. All the stories here are from significant figures in the genre, so it serves as a good hi ...more
Helen
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collection of humorous fantasy and sci fi, including such heavy hitters as C.S. Lewis, Arthur C. Clarke, Kurt Vonnegut, Terry Pratchett, and Issac Asimov, to name just a few.

Good stories, as you'd imagine, from such great names. The humor stays smart, thoughtful, with just a tinge of blue here and there. The only complaint I might have is that Ursula Le Guin is the only female author in the bunch. But honestly, everything in it is so good, I can forgive the editor this oversight.
B
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westend, borrowed
Here, the author seems to have specific and unique tastes that trend toward the morbid and erotic. I don't think he and I would agree on comedy or anthologizing. But he chooses from some pretty fancy authors so it works out, at least partially.

A couple of these were really good. The strongest ones were the genre-crossing stories.

krin
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this collection of humorous fantasy stories. Two of my favorites were "Doodad" by Ray Bradbury about a man who learns too late not to underestimate seemingly useless items and "The Rule of Names" by Ursula K. Le Guin about a mysterious wizard and a knight.
Elisabeth
Overall? Meh.
There is one great story. A Good Knight's Work, by Robert Bloch, is original and hilarious. Most of the others are just silly. Mostly a waste of time but worth picking up just to read Bloch's story.
Chloe
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this was my book of short stories for the 2015 reading challenge. I thought given as I love fantasy and short stories that this would have been a safe bet, but to be honest it was a bit of a disappointment. There were a few good stories in there, but in general it was a bit of a slog.
Kitten
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Give me Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett in the same place and I'm happy. As a collection of short stories from different authors who all have different approaches, The Wizards of Odd will offer different levels of enjoyment to different readers.
Kartik Chawla
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An utterly gorgeous collection.
Outi
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lainatut, fantasy
Nice collection, although I was disappointed that it contained science-fiction as well as fantasy.
Vilis
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foršo stāstu proporcija bija jūtami lielāka, kā biju gaidījis. Pārsteidzoši daudz arī černuhas pilnu gabalu, bet humora izjūtas ir atšķirīgas un tā. Galvenais, ka garlaikoties nesanāca.
Peter Dolezal
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good whirlwind of stories
Morgan Brown
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth it just for Douglas Adams astronomically vivid short story.
Haiku Reviews
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this for Pratchett
Learned about some new authors
Must check those guys out
Steef Jacobson
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good mix of stories, some I might have missed
Gavin
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A collection of fantasy short stories, good, bad and indifferent.
Simon Deimel
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book are full of humor and unusual ideas. There are so many classic authors contained. Fantasy and science fiction do not have to be serious all the time. I really enjoyed it.
Yvensong
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvensong by: Joe
Several stories are fun and funny, though others did nothing for me at all. Pretty common for a collection of short stories.
Michael
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of comic tales in science-fiction/fantasy. The short stories featured in this anthology are written by some of the masters of these fields.

I would highly recommend this anthology.
William
I tried and tried to read this to conclusion but I couldn't. It just did not hold my interest.
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Legends Volume 2
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • A Tourist Guide to Lancre
  • Expecting Someone Taller
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Snuff Fiction
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming
More about Peter Haining...

Comic Tales of Fantasy (3 books)
  • The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy