Start by marking “Therapy” as Want to Read:
Therapy

Therapy

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  15,172 ratings  ·  1,351 reviews
No witnesses, no evidence, no body: Star psychologist Viktor Larenz’s twelve-year-old daughter, Josy, who had suffered from an inexplicable illness, has vanished under mysterious circumstances during a visit to her doctor, and the investigation into her disappearance has brought no results. Four years later, Viktor remains a man shattered by this tragedy. He has retreated ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Therapy, please sign up.
Carol Hammal Yes there is. I bought my copy from Germany in English. I'm not sure it's available in USA though...

·  15,172 ratings  ·  1,351 reviews

Start your review of Therapy
Nazanin
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

Dr. Viktor Larenz’s twelve-year-old girl, Josy, was ill, had mysterious symptoms and doctors didn’t know what was her illness. One day, he left her in the waiting room of the doc’s office to fetch her some water and when he came back Josy wasn’t there. He thought she went to the doc’s office but she had vanished into the thin air...

Four years later Josy is still missing. A mental patient (suffers from schizophrenia) turned up on his doorstep. She is a novelist for children and she is conv
amy ☂︎
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german, 2018
this book felt like it was directed by christopher nolan or martin scorsese, honestly.

take inception or shutter island for example: if you've seen these movies, you probably can relate to how i'm feeling right now. i'm in a whole other universe, i don't know what year it is, my head is spinning at 60 mph and my last two brain cells are working on overdrive tryna catch on to what the fuck just happened. and i fucking i love that shit, man.

i feel like that tiny exploding head emoji. poor lil guy i
Brenda
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This won't be much of a review because this wasn't much of a book. I started reading this book months ago but couldn't get into it. On this second try, I read much further before considering quitting but I stuck with it.

This was mostly a history of Dr. Viktor Larenz and his missing daughter. Confusing first half to two-thirds. There was nothing to believe; everything was suspicious. Characters were stiff and dialogue was stilted. Then the final few chapters explained everything. I could have sav
Andrew Smith
I’ve read a few book written by this German author – all translated into English from his mother tongue. Fitzeck seems to specialise in creating scenes of tortuous intrigue and suspense before landing a twisting finish that gives the lie to the readers understanding of events previously described. In this story, we first meet Dr Viktor Larenz, a renowned psychiatrist who is in a state of panic at what he perceives to be the disappearance of his twelve-year-old daughter, Josy. He’d left her in th ...more
Turtelina
Mar 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
The book had me hooked. Short chapters, at each end a cliffhanger that practically forced you to read on. The end was interesting. I read a bunch of reviews on Amazon about what other people thought about the end, some loved it, some hated it. I cant decide. Brilliant and ingenious or more of a huge let down. In any case, most entertaining, I recommend it.
Andy
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-conspiracy
My second delve into this author having really enjoyed Splinter, one of his lower rated books!

It begins in a psychiatric hospital with the patient (a former psychologist) & doctor reviewing his case history.... the story is thus retold as he lays strapped to the bed, how he has got their we don’t know at the start, why he can’t be untied again we are not told..... the story begins..... from quite early on you are starting to surmise what is fact & fantasy as all seems slightly outta whack with t
Tanja Berg
Rating 4* out of 5. I'm trying to figure out how to say something elegant about this book, but I can't. This was a total mindfuck from start to finish. Of course I had my suspicions and I wasn't totally wrong... But yeah, I was. Totally up every wall and down the other side. Every one of my theories was right in the end. That's not supposed to happen! ONE theory is supposed to be right. Not all of them. No one ever ties such a story together. Except Fitzek.

Viktor Larenz, famous psychiatrist, los
amorevolefe
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read this book over a period of two days, one of which I was forced to leave the house and yet I refused to put the book down, I had crossed the streets numerous times with book in hand and my very attention on it. "Therapy" brimmed with both emotion and intellect, intuition and paranoia; it extended more than what is commonly anticipated by readers. I had always perceived the more aberrant books to be the most intriguing.

By saying this I am certain that I am speaking for all readers of th
Sèra
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Jessica Gillies
It's a while since a physical book has sucked me in so much I found it difficult to stop reading. I'm so glad I picked this up again, it had me telling myself "just one more chapter" from midnight until around three am. This keeps the reader constantly on the edge of their seats thinking they have it figured out, then finding themselves utterly confused - over and over again.

Looking forward to reading more from this author, an impressive debut novel!
Emma
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
I started off really enjoying this but strangely this diminished as the book went on. You certainly get the sense of confusion from paranoid delusion, which I found interesting to start with, then a confusing hot mess. From early on, I could see who Anna Glass was, but the ending was a surprise. And not in a particularly credible way. I’ve read books of a similar theme- Dennis Lehane did it better!
Pantelis Andreou
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a typical thriller that keep you guessing and questioning. Very fast paced and it has enough twists and turns. The characterization and the choices made here we’ve read it a hundred times before to numerous previous thriller and it’s nothing new or out of this world but keep in mind that if you want a good, pulse-racing read this is for you.
Mariel
I enjoyed reading this book but, sadly, it wasn0t the best thriller I've read in my entire life. It didn't leave a great impact on me and it lacked that WOW factor I love about reading thrillers. The original idea wasn't bad but it could've been executed better. It lacked something I don't know exactly what but I feel like something was missing and the ending was kind of unrealistic.
Was it horrible? NO . Would I recommend it? Probably if you're not familiar with this genre.

Disfruté leer este li
Dimitar Jovanovski
Great psychological thriller, gripping story, difficult to put down, twists and turns at every chapter and some very creepy moments - I guess I can describe the book with these words. Obviously, Fitzek is perfect at pulling hundreds of strings togeather at the read.
Janice
If you like psychological thrillers, this one will have you turning the pages to the end.

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, there would be a new development.
LENA TRAK
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! Best book in a long time! I love his style, I love the way his writing affected me... Absolutely amazing...
Helena
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW ! What an amazing book ! A real page-turner, I seriously couldn't sleep tonight without finishing it. I was on the last page and STILL didn't have all the answers ! How rare and beautiful that feeling was... I wish every mystery book could be like that. Get your hands on a copy right away !
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story is very much haphazard. Mostly flew over my head. Last parts explained it a bit though, and for that I give 4 stars.
Ivi
I loved it very nice written! 5 stars to the amazing book of beloved author Sebastian Fitzek :)))
Auguste
Dec 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ludicrous plot, horrendously written, overall one of the worst attempts at crime fiction I've had the misfortune to have read in years.
Rob
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign-authors
At first I thought that I wont be able to finish this book. Short chapters that seemed to be all over the place. Had to re-read parts thinking I had missed something but I hadn't. Then one morning as I was eating breakfast it dawned on me that for the last 15 minutes I had done nothing but think about this book. What the hell was going on in this book. Who were the villains, if there were any, and were there any good guys? Without realising it I had been sucked right in. I now needed, and wanted ...more
Kelly
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Viktor Larenz is a renowned Psychotherapist, but his life falls apart the day his 12 year old daughter Josy disappears. Fours year later, Viktor is taking a break on the island of Parkum, when a strange woman called Anna Glass insists she needs him to give her therapy sessions. When she starts talking about a character in her book, a young girl that ran away, Viktor wonders if she could possibly be referring to his daughter, and if he might he find out what happened to her after all?

This boo
Zahidul
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent mind-bending psychological thriller, from plot to the execution of the plot, everything is pitch perfect.One of the best psychological thrillers I've read in recent years.
Vavita
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the writing style. Unfortunately, after 20 pages in, it was very obvious what was gonna happen and how it was gonna end. In any case, I found it very entertaining
Јана Пашовска
A real page-turner. If you are familiar with some of Fitzek's works, the themes of this book won't be that unfamiliar to you and perhaps you won't even be surprised when the twist is revealed. But beware, with Fitzek there's always another, bigger, more unpredictable twist and that is precisely what puts his books on the top of the list for mystery and thriller fans. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, as evident from the fact that i finished it in a day.
carola
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4,5 stars]
there was A LOT going on in this book, wow my head is still trying to process all the twists and turns.
Matías
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PERO QUE LIMADA QUE ME PEGO!!. UN LIBRO INCREIBLE!!!
SON CINCO ESTRELLAS PERO MERECE 10.
Clementine Sunshine
Oh dear, how shocked am I.
Clara
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I didn’t see that coming. I feel like the less you know about the book, the more you’ll enjoy it. It reads really fast, and even though you can tell something is odd, you are still surprised. At least I was. I had some problems with the writing, but that was it. Also, this is his first book, so I took that in consideration. I will reread it, because I want to see if I can find some details I missed this time. I recommend it if you want a good mystery that you can read in a day. It ...more
Sara
3.25☆

Most of the book was about 2-3 stars. Only the last 60 pages of so were so filled with clever twists and turns that they made me reconsider the 2 stars I wanted to give it.
All in all, an OK, if not a bit disappointing read. Hearing beforehand how it (at the time of its publication) in Germany became even more popular than The Da Vinci Code, really upped my expectations. Obviously too much.

• Auris
  • Auris - Die Frequenz des Todes
  • Τσιχλόφουσκα
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Das Café am Rande der Welt
  • Offline
  • The Chemistry of Death (David Hunter, #1)
  • Ќерката на дрвосечачот
  • Liebes Kind
  • Η γυναίκα του Ίσνταλ
  • Αμαρόκ
  • Η Σκιά
  • Άγιοι Τίποτα
  • Der Trakt
  • Ανάρμοστον εστί
  • Abgeschlagen (Paul Herzfeld, #1)
  • The Whisperer
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
Sebastian Fitzek was born in Berlin in 1971. After going to law school and being promoted to LL.D., he decided against a juridical profession for a creative occupation in the media. After the traineeship at a private radio station he switched to the competition as head of entertainment and became chief editor later on, thereafter becoming an independent executive consultant and format developer fo ...more

News & Interviews

“Hope is like a shard of glass. Tread on it, and you'll end up wincing with every step. The best policy is to tweezer it out. Sure, it will hurt like billy-o and the wound will take a while to heal, but after that you can walk again.” 3 likes
“certain situations, even the most rationally minded people behave in absurd and illogical ways. Nine times out of ten, a person in possession of a remote control will press the buttons harder if the battery runs low. But a nickel cadmium cell isn't like a lemon, and squeezing it firmly won't produce more juice.” 2 likes