Start by marking “Some Words With a Mummy” as Want to Read:
Some Words With a Mummy

Some Words With a Mummy

Some Words with a Mummy is a satirical short story by Edgar Allan Poe.

Doctor Ponnonner invites the narrator to his home to take part in a mummy unwrapping.

It was first published in American Review: A Whig Journal in April 1845.
34 pages
Published (first published October 23rd 1845)

To ask other readers questions about Some Words With a Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Words With a Mummy

Aishu Rehman
Interesting idea- mummifying oneself in order to see what life will be like in 1,000 years or so. This story was packed with Poe's dry wit.
Carol
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
HA! SOME WORDS WITH A MUMMY is a swell little satire!

An abrupt disturbance in the night leads our unnamed narrator to a rushed unveiling and dissection of an Egyptian mummy who comes back to life after 5,000 years sharing some interesting and surprising information......after kick-off, that is......Seems POE could write humor too! (loved it)

After our narrator takes his leave, he makes a creepy, but important decision about the rest of his life in the modern (Victorian) world.

HA! Great Ending!

Exina
The narrator is invited to take part in the unwrapping and autopsy of a mummy. The scientists find the body in a surprisingly good condition. As the title suggests, the mummy is very much alive, due to his special genes and the unusual way he was embalmed.

But it is not a horror story! Actually, Allamistakeo is a very sophisticated and polite mummy, having a lofty conversation with the men gathered there.

The story starts hilarious, and it is overall quite funny, though I quickly got bored as th
Leah
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I always celebrate Poe's birthday with cupcakes a reading or two of his work. I opted to forgo my usual picks and my favorites and instead chose a short story often overlooked: Some Words With a Mummy. Some Words With a Mummy is among Poe's latter works, this one being published in 1845, just a few years before his death. One thing I love about the Victorian era is what was considered a fun hobby: the occult and mysticism (as mentioned in my review of The
BookitoCat
This is a funny little story. I wasn't expecting much but I was happily surprised from these 78 pages. I would love to read it again but I can't give it more than 2 stars because the luck of plot always get on my nerves!
David Sarkies
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
Of the Intellectual Kind
7 December 2018 – Sydney

I wonder whether this is the original animated mummy story. Well, probably except the problem is that it is pretty tongue in cheek. Sure, there is that Frankensteinien element where they reanimate the mummy by shocking it with a jolt of electricity, but it doesn’t end up running riot around New York City Brendan Fraser style or anything. In fact, it turns out that this particular mummy is a rather passive type who is also somewhat of an intellectu
Siobhan
Some Words with a Mummy is another quick read from Poe. In my quest to read all of Poe, I’ve found I’m not crazy about quite a few of his short stories, yet I rather enjoyed this one. In truth, it wasn’t quite a full three-star rating, but I enjoyed it enough to round my rating up.

As the title would have you expecting, this story covers a conversation with an Egyptian mummy, but what makes it exciting is that we’re given something different. It wasn’t at all what I’d been anticipating, and I’m a
David Doyle
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Having got permission to examine a mummy, a group of men open the sarcophagus and find the engraved name of the mummy, Allamistakeo. Word play! Well, they proceed, find the mummy has all its organs intact, and decide to jolt it with electricity, which awakens it! Being that it's Edgar Allan Poe you might think he'd describe in gruesome detail something about the mummy's desiccated body or the terror the men feel. No, instead when electric charge is applied to its foot, the mummy rears back its l ...more
Cornelia
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SOME WORDS WITH A MUMMY is a creative, well written short story. Poe is amazing, though he wrote in the Victorian age his stories have such a fresh, modern out look to them. He is so talented at satire and this story has an incredible funny ending with his sarcastic touch. If you like satire, I highly recomend this short story.
Joshua Shioshita
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Poe was a funny dude, but they say the line between humor and horror is pretty thin. Or something like that. If you dig satire, and old drunk antiquarians having a debate with a mummified corpse, then you'll like this. The ending is a hoot. I wish we could all just embalm ourselves when we get bored with our current state of affairs and then wake up every hundred years or so and see what's up.
Natalie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A group of friends is excited to be opening up an ancient mummy. They merrily decide to run some experiments on it and are started when said mummy comes to life and is heartily disappointed in what he finds 5,000 years after being entombed. The human race is quite disappointing.

One of Poe's more enjoyable stories. It wasn't overburdened with lengthy descriptions and orations
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a pleasant read. I even laughed at many places,which I rarely do when reading Poe. An Egyptian mummy is revived,quite accidentally,by a group of friends to whom it was lent by the museum for study. They try to gather details of life at that time and ask him if life was as developed as in the present time. They point out few important inventions of the present time and ask him to comment on that. The mummy,who was a Count,shame them by pointing out the marvels of his time. In a subtle way, ...more
Mark
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny and extremely clever- especially the fact that in the story, the modern people (in the 19th century at the time) could only find one superiority when compared to the ancient Egyptians: cough drops. This actually has a lot of truth. Ancient peoples were more advanced than most people give them credit for.
Timothy Morrow
A great satire joke on modern life, asking the question, are we even better then the Egyptians at that point of time? Quite entertaining......Timothy~
Donna
Some Words With a Mummy by Edgar Allan PoeJust finished reading the kindle edition of "SOME WORDS WITH A MUMMY" by EDGAR ALLEN POE. I read this short story while listening to the audible version narrated by Boon, Hohman, Siegel, Yancy, et al. ☠The tale begins with the narrator's receiving a letter from his good friend, Doctor Ponnonner. Ponnonner is very excited because he has been granted permission to examine a mummy. The letter ends with Ponnonner asking the narrator to be present at the examination.
As soon as the narrator arrives a
Donna
As soon as the narrator arrives a
Chris Aldridge
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Librivox SSF Collection Vol 018. A classic from Edgar Allan Poe, a perfect tale aimed at the popular taste for Egyptology and mysticism prevalent when it was written. Not only does it pass the test of time, it is , in places, absolutely hilarious - transcending all cultural stereotypes. Exquisitely read by the master of narration - Greg Margarite.
Rose
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining.
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very Excellent
Gia
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
"The truth is, I am heartily sick of this life and of the nineteenth century in general. I am convinced that everything is going wrong. Besides, I am anxious to know who will be President in 2045. As soon, therefore, as I shave and swallow a cup of coffee, I shall just step over to Ponnonner's and get embalmed for a couple of hundred years." -Some Words With a Mummy, otherwise known as: Memoir of an Insomniac.
Dunya Al-Mishqab
Aug 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
This one in particular was so odd. First of all, it's not the unfamiliarity of a mummy being brought back to life to have a little chit-chat with them, but the fact that they had their conversation in ancient Egyptian tongue! It seemed to me that it sounded like some sort of an initiation to an anti-religious belief. Plus, where would anyone find any person for that matter who spoke ancient Egyptian very fluently!
In another hand, I found it slightly strange and contradicting to have the count s
Ralph McEwen
A reanimated mummy explains why his mummification worked.

The dated verbage must have made this book difficult to record.
Audio Book MP3 downloaded from
Public Domain stories from Project Gutenberg, that are read by volunteers.
I listen to these short stories while walking to and from work.

Play Duration: 00:36:25
Read By: Gregg Margarite
Dimitra
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe
I will say what I always say about Poe, no matter which of his stories/poems I read...
Poe is an artist! Poe is unique!
Poe is mysterious! Poe is scary!
Poe is Poe!!! <3 And I love him!!!
All of his stories and poems give you the chills and you just can't stop reading!!!
If you haven't read any of his work...please do a gift to yourself and go read some!!!
Ebster Davis
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Extremely satirical and not what I was expecting at all. I enjoyed it very much.

The only thing is, like with a lot of Poe's lit, it's very archaic (at least by today's standards) which I personally find amusing but some people might find it annoying and difficult to understand.
Tariq Bokahri
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Such an odd story it left me wondering so many things. i haven't read many of poe's work but i'm familiar with his work and this short didn't feel like any of his other work as it felt a bit of satire statement on the state of the upper layer of society of the time.
Abby
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Marts  (Thinker)
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A strange tale by Edgar Allan Poe!
Chelsi
Sep 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
The process in which Poe describes as being "embalmed" only to wake a couple centuries later reminds me very much of the modern-day cryogenics.
Vinoth G
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Embalming and stuff and the astonishing concept of re-scripting. Enjoyable and educative read.
MB Taylor
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Downed a free epub from feedbooks.com and read it on my Nook.

An interesting piece of absurdity.

• Candide and Zadig
  • Der arme Spielmann
  • Marie Grubbe
  • Living My Life, Vol. 2
  • Düşünce Tarihi
  • 100% Düşünce Gücü: Düşünce Gücünüzü Kullanarak Hayatınızı Yönlendirmeyi Öğrenin
  • İnsan İnsana