Start by marking “Nowhere to Run” as Want to Read:
Nowhere to Run

Nowhere to Run

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  270 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
How can you forget your past when it keeps coming back to haunt you? Judy Westwater, the author of Street Kid, was determined to turn her back on her cruel and violent childhood. She didn't stand a chance. All too soon hope turned to fear and she knew she'd have to run again. Judy was only 11 years old when she was forced to live on the streets. Beaten, half-starved, and h ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by HarperCollins UK (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere to Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere to Run

Eva Leger
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jeannie & Love
Recommended to Eva by: found it on-line
Wow...I'm not sure I'm even going to be able to properly portray this book correctly. My head is still swimming.
(A side note real fast- with all the fake "memoirs" coming out I've decided to handle this a certain way. Unless I have some kind of proof that a book I'm reading, have read, or will read, if a fake, I'm taking it at face value. I have to. I love reading non-fiction far too much to stop so this is just what I have to do.)
This woman has to be one of the most courageous women in the en
Cindy Vine
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This autobiography by Judy Westwater was inspirational. She suffered the worst kind of abuse imaginable, struggled for a good part of her life but never gave up. She looked for the positives, made many plans and rose up out of the dung pile time and time again. It was fantastic that she eventually did get to experience love and yet even that was snatched from her. Despite her many trials and struggles, when Judy got some money she didn't think of herself or bettering her life, but immediately th ...more
Louise Lam cheung
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Half sad and half happy
Yeshel Moreno
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this when I was 3rd year highschool. This is the first book which really moved me in many ways possible. I could never imagine falling inlove to someone you thought was everything good but turns out in your wedding day to be a demon. Even in very dark circumstances, the heroine never gave up in her life.
JoJo
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Judy is an amazing woman. She has been through so much in her life, and she turned out a wonderful loving and caring person, and mother. I really felt for Judy, her childhood was full of abuse, then she had 2 disastrous relationships, 1 that was very abusive. And now she helps other people in need in South Africa.

(view spoiler)
Love
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Den
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true
Didn't realise but this is exactly the same book as 'Street Kid Fights On'. So the following is the review I wrote for that. I actually thought this was the third book she had written.
Managed to get this one out the library at the same time as the prequel and so read this one straight afterwards (with other books in between too of course!).
This continues to show you the hardships Judy faces as she emerges into adulthood. She has two disastrous marriages, fights to make ends meet for herself and
Den
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true
Jeminie
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I learned, that life is all about challenges and if you want to solve it, used it with your bare hands.., i also learned not to give up so easily..keep fighting until you succeed, learned more about HIM before marrying him. cause u never knew if he's bad like roger and max. or good like john. T.T really did make me cry! especially when john died.. it's really horrifying... cried for 10 minutes at night. lol ((:
btw.. i LOVE this!
Alexx
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book absolutely inspirational. No matter how many times she got knocked down, Judy picked herself up and got on with her life. It absolutely broke my heart when John died. She finally found happiness and it was gone very quickly. I hope that wherever Judy is now, she is proud of all the she has achieved.
Shayla Rosa
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, great story line.
It amazing how you think your problems is the biggest in the world and you take your life for granted and then you read this book and its like wow, my problems are nothing compared to other people living in this world.
Never Give Up!
Would recommend this book to anyone as it shows you how much other people go through in life and to appreciate life more!
Precious Mae
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
One of the most courageous woman one will ever know.
A very inspiring life shared by the author. I never knew that I will love reading this since I am not into autobiographies. But this was worth it.. inspiring and moving.

Worth the read.
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Just finished this. It is the second part of Judy life, after Street Kid
Excellent read, she had so many ups and downs, mainly downs and yet so much strength to continue
Great book and nice to read on from her life after the first book x
Katsumi
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
She had a very sad and tragic life but it gave me inspiration and it made me realized that i am so lucky with my life
Michelle Sibley
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
A good follow up book to her first one
Nicole Sandford
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: senior-books
Heartbreaking wish they can finally catch a break. A book for adults.
Merryll
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I found this book very uplifting towards the end.
Great to read that Judy has been able to fulfil her lifelong dreams, despite a torrid first 30 years of life.
Serap
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly heartwrenching! And Judy triumphed in the end!
Jordan
Yvonne
Dec 22, 2016
Allisone
Apr 15, 2015
  • I Did Tell, I Did: The True Story Of A Little Girl Betrayed By Those Who Should Have Loved Her
  • Nobody Came: The Appalling True Story of Brothers Cruelly Abused in a Jersey Care Home
  • Silent Sisters
  • The Girl in the Wicker Basket
  • The Step Child: A true story of a broken childhood
  • Our Little Secret
  • When Daddy Comes Home
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • Child C: Surviving a Foster Mother's Reign of Terror
  • Daddy's Little Girl
  • Cry Myself to Sleep
  • Don't You Love Your Daddy?
  • Mother from Hell: Two Brothers, a Sadistic Mother, a Childhood Destroyed

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99