Start by marking “Marketing Today's Academic Library: A Bold New Approach to Communicating with Students” as Want to Read:

In this study, Brian Mathews uses his vast experience to speak directly to the academic library practitioner about matching services with user needs. This book proposes new visions and ideas, challenging the traditional way of thinking and providing a framework to target users more precisely.
Published March 1st 2009 by American Library Association (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Marketing Today's Academic Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marketing Today's Academic Library

Start your review of Marketing Today's Academic Library: A Bold New Approach to Communicating with Students
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This book shows its age a little bit, being published in 2009, and it is more than likely that "today's" academic library is already farther down the road. Some of the core philosophies are solid and I marked a few tiny ideas that will work nicely in my library. Most of it is just rehashing what is out there in the business literature, plus a lot of self-citation on Mathews' part.

Ideas to ponder:
Starting conversations instead of giving away endless goodies with our logo (we are so guilty of
Coral
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although this book isn't what I set out looking for (help making a marketing plan and style guide), it offers some good insights and points at some really useful resources. My library's assessment team just spent a semester reading Creating the Customer-Driven Academic Library, and now I really wish we would have held off and read this, instead. This has a lot more assessment-related content and, honestly, a lot more about being customer-centric. It's also a little more balanced between ...more
Alison
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libraryland
This is an excellent read for anyone who needs to learn how to reach out to today's college students. While it is obviously geared toward folks who are in charge of marketing the library and its services, I think there is a lot to take away for folks who do first year outreach. Many of the techniques and ideas that Mathews presents can be easily adopted (or adapted) and put to work. This is definitely a must-read for anyone working on a marketing campaign for their library.
Loyola University Chicago Libraries
Clear, engaging, easy-to-read manual on how to target your marketing efforts towards today's undergrads. While traditional marketing strategies focus on the library itself, Mathews argues that it is more effective to highlight how the library, its services, and its products can fit within the daily life of the student. Lots of good ideas here for those interested in PR in the academic library.
Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Amy Wainwright
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-stuff
I read through this once and was hoping to give it another read-through. I thought it was fantastic and if I wouldn't have had to return this to the library, I would have gladly re-read it 5 more times. Definitely going to buy this one!
Michelle
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarianship
Mathews has great ideas to start marketing the academic library. Most of the ideas in the book would not work at my college because of funding, size, etc, but it really does get the juices flowing. I am coming away with lots of great ideas.
Tressa
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult, print
Really great book on marketing for academic libraries. It's current and fresh with new ideas.
Steven
Oct 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Very interesting book. A lot of good ideas, but I found myself surprised by how much of this book is about 'library as place.' I don't think it's a bad angle -- I just wasn't expecting it.
Ruth
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just on second chapter but can already tell the author has a unique viewpoint.
Jessie
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, library
Informative, offering useful, usable marketing advice for academic libraries - though not as bold as the title would suggest.
Ruth
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarianship
This book has some great, practical ideas!
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for all academic librarians!
ACRL
Feb 26, 2010 added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Erin Dorney. Learn more about Erin on the ACRL Insider blog.
Jessi