Start by marking “Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction

Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  414 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"Contemporary Linguistics" is the gold standard of introductory linguistics textbooks. Meticulously prepared, it is one of the most comprehensive, authoritative, up-to-date introductory resources on the market. The book’s extensive examples and exercises help students master the course material, and its lucid writing style makes complex concepts easy to understand.
Paperback, 5th edition, 720 pages
Published December 1st 2004 by Bedford Books (first published January 1st 1987)

Jordan
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a horrible choice for an intro course.

Chapter One is decent. It gives a general overview of the field of Linguistics, and what I can expect in my studies. It's easy to follow, and gave me high hopes for this unexpected (and largely unwanted) post-baccalaureate class choice.

Chapter Two is in a different language. Literally.

This textbook (and, unfortunately, my class) made broad assumptions regarding my understanding of the International Phonetic Alphabet and how to use it. One would e
Dan Slimmon
This textbook is solid. It covers a wide variety of topics, from phonetic to computational, and it made me feel well prepared for further linguistics study. The glossary and additional-reading suggestions are especially great.

By the way, this was the text for the MIT OCW Intro Linguistics course, which I found excellent.
Shaoola
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A main resource I used in my study as a reference
Jared Collier
Solid overall depiction of language science: content, methodology, and aim.
Jess
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language
It's not great. I mean, I get that it's an intro textbook, but a) it's not very good at being introductory, because it's not very clear, and b) it's not very good at being intermediate either, because it doesn't really explain anything. I was hoping I'd be able to keep it around as a reference after the end of the semester. This book isn't worth it.
Sohaib
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A wonderful introduction into the realm of linguistics. If you are going to embark into a general study of linguistics, then this is your book. It is both inclusive and informative covering pretty much all the linguistics branches necessary. I've sure found it very helpful as a beginner course back in 2012.
Wael
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is considered to be the introductory book for linguistics (Lin 201) and I think not all of the information in it is basic. The book also has some high level knowledge about all the branches of Linguistics.
Anne Ryan
Jan 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
I love the subject... I'm one of the lone students in my class who finds linguistics fascinating. However, this book makes it a lot harder than it needs to be. Without my wonderfully gentle Mr. Rogers-like prof, I'd be lost.
سلطآن الرآجحي
Nov 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Simona
Jun 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very disorganized, confusing, unclear and repetitive.
Kristen
A book which I read in 1st year university. I used it in other classes too as it was very informative
Samantha Maloney
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this book did a pretty good job of introducing basic concepts of linguistics and still keeping it interesting.
Bethanie O'Dell
Aug 14, 2016
Misty
Jun 24, 2015
Hisham
rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2016
  • Words and Rules: The Ingredients of Language
  • How Languages are Learned
  • Language: Its Structure and Use
  • Sociolinguistics: An Introduction to Language and Society
  • Speech and Language Processing: An Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics and Speech Recognition