Start by marking “The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1)

The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  8,452 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
Here is the first book in the blockbuster trilogy that chronicles the never-before-told story of the young Han Solo. Set before the Star Wars movie adventures, these books chronicle the coming-of-age of the galaxy's most famous con man, smuggler, and thief.

The first book in this exciting Han Solo series begins with a recounting of Han's late teen years and shows us how he
Published May 5th 1997 by Del Rey (first published May 1997)

Brad
Three stars is all I could muster, but I did have fun with this book. It was a great way to rest my brain after finishing Solzhenitsyn's Cancer Ward.

★★: This was the finest episode of Corellia 90210 EVER! I had no idea until rereading this that Young Han Solo was actually played (at least in the mind of A.C. Crispin) by a Young Luke Perry. Bad boy Han hanging out with the richies from Corellia (some family, and some family of the girl he loves), and he's so handsome and dashing and such a great
Kelly
May 07, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
I remember being a really snobby dork about these books- I thought I was going to hate them 'cause they were all trying to weave into the movies rather than going off on their own story. But surprisingly, these were great! Han's motivations are explained for his first appearance in A New Hope, we get his tragic first love, and find out why he gets to wear the Corellian Bloodstripes! Super necessary information!
Ashley Bogner
Han Solo is my favorite Star Wars character. I love his witty comebacks and his fantastic character arc. And yet he's the character in the series we don't know anything about. His backstory never comes up, and I've always wanted to know more about him. How did he become friends with Chewbacca? How did he meet Lando? When did he become captain of the Millennium Falcon ? What's up with the "Kessel Run in twelve parsecs"? When I found out that there was a book series about Han Solo's backstory, ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 10, 2010 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
"From now on, it's just me. Han Solo."
Han Solo. Rogue. Scoundrel. Scruffy-lookin' nerf herder. He's the smuggler that charmed our hearts in A New Hope, who came back to rescue Luke, who butted heads with Princess Leia in The Empire Strikes Back, and lead a Rebel task force against an Imperial fortress in Return of the Jedi. But where did he come from?
Han Solo was a young boy, employed by Gariss Shrike to pitpocket, pilot swoop bikes in races, and con people out of money. Tired of that life, Han
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to know more about Han Solo. Wonder if we will see Bria again. The plot was very interesting. Hope Han does well at the Imperial Academy.

Can't wait to read the Hurt Gambit!!!! Also can't wait to read more Star Wars books!!!
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
by A. C. Crispin, published in 1997.

This is my first attempt at reading a Star Wars novel and, I’ll admit it, I read it because it features Han Solo. Now Han is probably the most endearing character to grace the Star Wars franchise (at least I think so) and hence I was compelled to give this novel - first of three actually - a go.

I’ll get the tedious writer’s annoyances out of the way first. Liberal use of the word “wryly” and “dryly” and other ly words kept kicking me out of the story and need
Wayne
Mar 04, 2013 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Reading Star Wars fiction is a guilty pleasure for me, so consider this a guilty five star! Aside from the original trilogy novelizations, I loved A Splinter of the Mind's Eye, and the old Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy. I recall reading the Thrawn Trilogy in the 1990's, which was what happened after Return of the Jedi, and being captured by what was then an unspoiled dream of what the franchise could become. Since then, I haven't read much at all in the genre, and like most of us, endured a less ...more
Mary JL
Mar 19, 2012 Mary JL rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any SF adventure fan; Star Wars fans in particularly
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
If you are a fan of the Star Wars books, particularly if you are a fan of Han Solo, this is the beginning of an enjoyable trilogy.

Covering the ten years before the original Star Wars movie began--Chapter IV-A New Hope--Han escapes from the only 'home' he has ever known--the illegal ship Trader's Luck.

His ultimate dream: to enter the Imperial Space Academy. So, to get piloting experience, he takes a job piloting for the planet Ylesia. He soon starts picking up pratical expereince.

But he also find
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Apr 01, 2014 J. Aleksandr Wootton rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-reads
I loved Star Wars as a kid. I'm pretty sure I read every Star Wars novel published prior to the release of The-Prequels-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named in 1999, and I still own a few of the best. I'm going to review the first book of each of 4 sets that I think are worth your time to read.

[In general, if you're wondering where to start with Star Wars novels, a good rule of thumb is that if it was originally published by Bantam Spectra, it's probably worth the risk. Once Del Rey re-acquired rights to t
Brittany
This was the very first Star Wars novel I ever read and it introduced me to a world into which I would dive wholeheartedly for the next several years. Han Solo would become my favorite character in the universe and I would dream of nothing else.

Looking back, I can't say exactly what struck my fantasy most about this book, but it was enough to send me searching desperately for the next in the series. Whatever it was, it captivated my attention so thoroughly that even now I can't help but read the
Ron
Mar 07, 2009 Ron rated it liked it
A necessary start to the life of Han Solo. Not great literature, but provides a foundational piece of SW universe history.
Cris
Jan 09, 2015 Cris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew it was going to be a 5-star at the first wookie growl, but this was incredible!
Jaime Krause
Oct 17, 2012 Jaime Krause rated it really liked it
How does Han know Shyriiwook and other languages? How did he hone his flying skills? Why can he be so hard to those who care for him? And, most of all, what is his past like?

Crispin does a great job answering these questions. I've read this book (and the others in the series) multiple times. She stays true to his character while showing growth from adolescent immaturity to the man we were introduced to in ANH.

- Han leaves an abusive trader named Garris Shrike (who "saved" him when he was a toddl
Charles
Oct 14, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it
This is the back-story of the real, original Han Solo - the one who Shot First and began his return to interstellar good-guy only after he met Luke, Leia and the gang. The prose is functional, at times overly so but the story picked up and was compelling with its realistic capture of Han's personality. It never felt forced, contrite or arbitrary. A good, grim but not overly-so, realistic background to explain how our hero can grow up looking out for only himself, a scruffy semi-ruthless rogue wi ...more
Morgan
Mar 20, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Star Wars the Paradise Snare was written by A.C. Crispin.
This book is about the adventures of the young Han Solo and his new found companion Muuurgh. Throughout the book we find out more about the Corellian youth’s past. The book explains the story of how he becomes the well-known rebel hero we all know. His journey begins on a small droid ship to the planet of Ylesia. Once on the planet Han gets a job piloting for Ylesian spice miners. On the planet he meets danger, drugs, love, and mystery. H
Prasidh Ramson
Apr 05, 2015 Prasidh Ramson rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Paradise Snare is the first in the Han Solo trilogy telling the adventures of this iconic Star Wars character. Set some 10 years before Episode IV, this book chronicles his backstory as a street urchin and developmental years with a motley crew of space pirates that take him under their wing. Escaping from the pirates, this story tells of his time as a pilot on a planet, Ylesia, famous as a sanctuary for devotees seeking enlightenment from questionable priests, with questionable agendas.

Positiv
Dustin
Jan 07, 2013 Dustin rated it liked it
For the most part, I approve of this as a begging for Han Solo. It was entertaining and fits with the character that's already been established to us fans. My only point to of contention comes towards the end of the book, with two chapters reading like a class division romance novel. It was pointless to me, and I guess meant to show us a hardened Solo, mad at not having a woman he loved. It felt forced, because his goals, attitude and bravado are established, explained, and played up prior to th ...more
Evangeline
Aug 15, 2009 Evangeline rated it really liked it
This is the first in a series of EU (Extended Universe) novels about Han Solo's life before Star Wars IV: A New Hope. It spans everything from his early teens to the weeks before he meets Obi-Wan and Luke in the Mos Eisley cantina. It tells of his freeing of Chewbacca from slavery, his meeting of Lando Calrizzian (and, consequently, his winning the Millenium Falcon) and his many girlfriends before he met Leia which solidify his reputation as a "scoundrel." The writing is pretty good, but for Sta ...more
Marissa
Jul 20, 2012 Marissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I have always been extremely skeptical of the Star Wars novels - to me it felt like someone getting published for fanfiction and the world Lucas built could get mangled in everyone's idea of what it could be like.

That being said, this book was AWESOME. The writing was very well done and it didn't treat the reader like either a) a child where everything had to be spelled out or b) like you should already get every reference in here so we won't explain anything. It was a very neat balance. The mom
Moontyger
Jun 13, 2010 Moontyger rated it liked it
I'd considered reading the Han Solo trilogy for awhile and the Memorial Day sale at Half-Price finally gave me a chance to pick up the first one (I wanted to see what I thought before I bought the others).

You never know what you'll get when you pick up a Star Wars books; sometimes excellent authors simply cannot write the characters while otherwise mediocre ones have them down pat. I'd put this one somewhere in between - this young Han occasionally felt possibly a little off to me, but not horr
Evan Leach
Fun presentation of Han Solo's origin story. The story was a little uneven, but there are a few scenes that really shine (it's been many years since I first read this, but I'll never forget the thrilling descent through Coruscant). I remember being frustrated after finishing this in 1997 and realizing that the sequel wasn't out yet. If you want to read an entertaining book about Han Solo, this fits the bill. 4 stars, recommended.
Michael *Windrunner*
Dec 24, 2012 Michael *Windrunner* rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michael *Windrunner* by: TS Chan
Thanks to my friend TS Chan for bringing this book to mind. I've been reading through various Star Wars books to fuel my excitement for Episode VII (although I'm trying to manage my expectations to a reasonable level).

This book detailed the early life of Han Solo until his entrance to the academy. A fun read!
Writingstationhub Writingstationhub
A Good Read, this story tells of a young Han Solo an orphan with no history of his family who is brought up as a thieve and a pickpocket. We follow Solo on his quest to make it to the imperial academy he meets a love interest on the way (not Leia) and a strange planet of worship. Overall a great introduction into the legend Han Solo and deserves it's place in the Star Wars Universe.
S
Mar 22, 2015 S rated it liked it
This novel gives Han a remarkably grounded history. There are certainly space hijinks, but the focus of the book is the character. It works best when it is focused on who Han is emotionally, and what he has walked though to become that person. The cult plot is weaker; it works, but is less compelling and more a trope.
Kayla Barton
May 28, 2016 Kayla Barton rated it liked it
Not the highest quality of writing, but a fun exciting story. A fun way to get a bit of a back story for han solo. Worth a read for casual star wars fans.
Eduardo Schimitt
Jun 03, 2016 Eduardo Schimitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resenha em Breve
Chase
Mar 05, 2015 Chase rated it it was amazing
Definitely a fun and interesting read! Han just doesn't get a break, does he?
Brett Roller
Sep 12, 2012 Brett Roller rated it it was ok
My descent into nerddom began a long time a go in a galaxy far far away when my Dad started watching and old copy of The Empire Strikes Back he had taped off of the TV sometime in the in the mid-80′s. I was fascinated by these weird beasts that ran on two legs and giant robots that looked like gangly elephants. Not to mention the beautiful city in the clouds. I had no idea what science fiction was. All I knew was I wanted an X-wing.

My brother, who is 10 years my junior, began his Star War fanati
Anne-Marie
Jan 30, 2017 Anne-Marie rated it really liked it
Forever one of my favorite guilty pleasure books. I read this a long time ago when I was 13 and vowed to name my daughter Bria if I ever had one. I worshiped her as much as Leia and used to write my own fic with her in it ending up as Luke's sister and living happily ever after with Han. (This is all so very and painfully true)

As an adult its a fun, quick read with all the elements of a space western. Though my opinion of Bria has changed a little (as an adult I see she's kinda whiney yeah?) I s
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • The Han Solo Adventures (Classic Star Wars)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • The Bacta War (Star Wars: X-Wing, #4)
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • Tales from Jabba's Palace (Star Wars)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
Ann Carol Crispin (1950-2013) was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote professionally since 1983. She wrote several Star Trek and Star Wars novels, and created her own original science fiction series called Starbridge.

Crispin also served as Eastern Regional Director, and then Vice President, of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.
More about A.C. Crispin...

Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)
  • Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3)