Start by marking “Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus” as Want to Read:

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Chemotherapy saves lives, but new studies--including research led by coauthor Dr. Dan Silverman--reveal that the agents used to kill cancer cells may also impair normal brain function. Even years after treatment, patients report problems with memory, concentrating, multitasking, and word retrieval. As one person put it, "I've lost my edge."If you've undergone chemotherapy, ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Your Brain After Chemo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Brain After Chemo

Sarah Pierce
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book as much as I expected-- although I have experienced some of the unpleasantness of chemo brain, I thought the book was too focused on the worst parts of chemo and not enough on how to deal with chemo brain when necessary. Since none of the readers will have a choice whether or not they experience this side effect, I would rather learn how to minimize its effects.

On the flip side, I did enjoy the detail that Silverman went into regarding the different brain systems involv
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an excellent book. I heard about it from a friend who has been through plenty, plenty chemotherapy (but evidently chemo brain has caused her to forget to review it here, hahahaha) and was surprised to find it, a very specific seeming book by American authors, on the shelves of my small town English public library.

So, I don't have cancer and I wasn't particularly reading it to support anyone who has or has had cancer (sorry!) But this book felt like coming home. I do have a chr
Denise Messenger
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! If you have undergone chemotherapy and feel like you have lost your mind...this explains it all. A very much needed book because you won't hear it from an Oncologist...they typically do not believe that most chemo crosses the brain barrier. Very timely, useful and excellent information. No, you are not going crazy and you can get over it!!!
Mary Jo
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The latest research on cognitive impairments from chemo and strategies to adapt to "the thing". The first section of the book was depressing but the end sections were hopeful. The resource list is impressive and helpful. I will use the strategies. It is amazing that I already use a number of the strategies to function better. Worth the time to read. It also is a quick read and interesting.
Lorraine
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical
Incredibly informative.
The best quote, "Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
-John Wooden-
darryl ohrt
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I be less dumb now.
Julie
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cancer survivors, caretakers, family members of those with cancer
The first 100 pages of this book really pulled me in. I felt a connection knowing that my fears and worries about my brain were being validated. It was nice to see stories from other cancer survivors, studies saying "This is real!" and being able to look at the brain and see where the damage comes from.

Unfortunately, the next 100 pages lost me. I felt like the authors steered away from the brain+chemo idea and focused mostly on breast cancer survivors and hormone therapy. Neither were relevant t
Katherine
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I got this book for more info about chemo after my husband was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour.

This book was ok but the focus was very much on women with breast cancer and did not use as examples any other type of cancer. Although the information was sound the examples would probably put off a man reading the whole book as is does not seem written for men.

Some of the information is also only applicable to Americans and their health system so you have to be aware of what may not be applic
Meredith
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: breast-cancer
I got this book hoping to better understand post-chemo results, and possibly some remedies. The first few chapters were quite engaging, then the writing turned very technical and mostly focusing on vitamins and supplements, but not the actual effects of chemo on the brain and what that means long term for current and post chemo patients.
Jessica Applin
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was my greatest fear when going through chemo, I used to do brain teasers and logic puzzles, in the hopes to stave off the effects.
Kayleen
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
this should be called, you're not nuts chemo gives you brain damage. It was okay, but didn't give me much help dealing with it.
Lisa Church Sielen
Nov 08, 2009
Belinda Morse
Nov 16, 2015
Bonnie
rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2011