Start by marking “Boy Gets Girl” as Want to Read:
Boy Gets Girl

Boy Gets Girl

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  481 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
What is a stalker? And what kind of life can a woman lead when she knows she is being followed, obsessively and perhaps dangerously, by one?

This is the dilemma facing Theresa Bedell, a reporter in New York, in Rebecca Gilman's tensely fascinating new play. When Theresa goes on an awkward blind date with a friend of a friend, she sees no reason to continue the relationship-
Published May 29th 2000 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Boy Gets Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Gets Girl

Anna
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
The problem with this play is that it feels like --- no, scratch that, it doesn't feel like much of anything. It's basically a dressed up version of Gender Studies 101, specifically the theory of the male gaze. Don't get me wrong -- I took and enjoyed Gender Studies 101, and the theory is pretty interesting. But this play is pretty flat, and appears to be written for shock value. I was hoping to find a slim, modern play with a strong female lead written by a female author to teach instead of Cat ...more
Sean
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, drama
A near perfect play about stalking, and more generally, the relations between men and women -- especially how men view women, and women view themselves. Absolutely gripping, and I thought Gilman does a great job of getting into mens' heads. She absolutely nails the men in her play, both good and bad guys. If she had help from a man to write some of the male characters, she got some really good help, and if she didn't have help, she should be a psychiatrist -- she's that spot-on.
Megan Jensen
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. I begrudgingly read this play for a Script Analysis class, but ended up getting sucked in. I enjoyed this so much because it didn't feel like I was reading a play. I usually have difficulty reading plays because the dialogue creates a choppy feeling for me. But this play read like a story, and I appreciate that. I felt like I was in the midst of an episode of Criminal Minds, and my heart was actually racing at some of the more intense parts. I'm not saying this is a revolutionary piece of l ...more
Rachel
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very well-done and scary thriller. It has a bit of language but often to the end of making the piece more real and horrifying. The different ways in which people respond to women were also explored and made it a very thought-provoking and disturbing play.
Gemma
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
This play really frustrates me. Gilman chooses an incredibly simplistic view of almost everything she purports to address—stalking, the skewed ways in which one gender perceives another, making life changes not by choice. Stalking, in particular, seems to me a *lot* more complicated than this, with much deeper effects on its object (emotional, not concrete—I suppose she gets the extreme of the concrete down pretty well). She could have solved this by developing Tony earlier, allowing them to spe ...more
Cara
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Totally took an exciting yet haunting turn from what I first thought to be a straight up comedy. Definitely made me think a lot about rape culture and the current political climate/circus that I'm viewing as a woman. Great play, would love to do it some day!
Mark
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This play is much better when it is staged.
Helen
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was so amazing! I love everything about this play! It's so realistic and important. I've worked on this show a little while ago, so maybe that's part of the reason why I love it so much, but it just covers such important topics in a thought out and touching way that it just has to be good.
Randall David Cook
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic play. Haunting, and about far more than you initially expect.
Fiona
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the heavy themes of how genders are raised in society, expected to ogle or be ogled. I liked that the main character remained a strong woman, even though she was was a victim of a psychopath's stalking. They'd gone on a blind date and after a few minutes and a polite beer, she decided she never wanted to see him again. Theresa was not an especially attractive character, but enough to keep Tony passionately pursuing her, even when she told him she was no interested. The tone of the stalki ...more
April
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, play
Okay, so I started reading this play with some great expectations. I had heard that it was great and the mini reviews on the cover made it seem entertaining and thrilling.

The play started out okay, and this just got boring. I was interested more in Theresa's interactions with Tony. It seemed like Gilman got frightened by the idea of showing more of how creepy Tony is. I know it was an artistic choice to have audience imagine what Theresa was reading in Tony's insane notes, but it just left me u
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In a world where a man can brag about committing sexual assault and be elected to the highest office in the land, never has a play been more relevant. Boy Gets Girl is the classic tale of romance, where a boy falls for a girl, the girl rejects him, and the boy stalks her for months and threatens her life. As soon as I turned the page, I could tell this play was written by a woman- by someone who has lived the everyday hassle of being in public while presenting female. Every exchange , from disbe ...more
Marilyn
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
I loved the 02/03 Canadian Stage production of "Boy Gets Girl" so much that I could still here Eric Peterson's voice in my head when I read Les Kenkatt's lines over ten years later. I mention that because I can't really say if I'm giving four stars to the book itself or to my memory of the text interpreted. I do know the play offers a great mix of tension and humour, all while exploring a tough and thought-provoking topic. It's well worth a read, assuming you can't convince Peterson and friends ...more
Jen Klug
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought the dialogue was great, for the most part. Very natural and easy and believable. She cranks up the tension but still some of it is surprisingly funny, which keeps you a little off-balance, which makes the tension even higher.

But some of the speeches were too heavy-handed. It seemed like we should be able to understand Gilman's point from the events, without having the characters tell us why it's scary and bad that this character is being stalked.

Of course, this is just from reading the
Nan
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Gregory
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: play
A play dealing with the horrors of stalking. It's very short - I read it in about an hour and a half. Had to read it for school, and many of my classmates made it out to be something to be dreaded, not to be enjoyed. But I am not like them, in more ways than one. I enjoyed it. It's not the best play, obviously. But it's simple enough to understand, while being interesting enough not to want to be put down.
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Gilman always laces her plays with debates about modern life and its problematic meanings. Maybe her most interesting use of it comes in this play about casual knowledge and how that translates into objectification of the most violent order. Full of tension and devolving mental strength as an identity is infringed upon.
Jasmine
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed the writing but I'm not sure a book about stalking is my cup of tea. It was well written but I'm not sure if I exactly liked it or not. Read for my Introduction to World Literature class.
Courtney
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a solid play. I liked the premise and the characters (though I still can't get behind liking the interview scenes with Les), the pace was solid, and reads well. I haven't seen it performed but it's a great read with food for thought.
Barbara
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shows the dangers of dating, stalking, and how one's life can be ruined overnight by trusting the wrong person. Also that our laws protecting women against stalkers and crazed men are completely ineffective. Scary.
Rebecca
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
EVERYONE should read this play - it is well written, and thoroughly frightening. It brings to light an uncomfortable situation (stalking) and increases the audience's awareness of how an innocent situation can turn into a dangerous one.
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great play about an issue that many women have likely experienced to some degree: stalking. The play also gives great advice on how to be more authoritative when ending a relationship (no matter how short in duration) with someone.
Sherri
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a disturbing play about a stalker. The blind-date-gone-bad is just one piece of it though. Gilman develops more fully a few other male characters to illustrate the complicated relationships between the sexes. There is a lot to discuss here.

Megan Page
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I would have rated it higher if it didn't freak me out so much.
Kristen
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I want more. I got this book for class and was just going to preview it, instead I read it in an hour. Very powerful.
Julia and Bryan
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it
This also was an assignment and quite freaky.
Florence W
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A relatable, realistic play following a woman and the way the male world views her and other women.
Nicholas
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Probably her best so far.
Robin
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
A disturbing play about stalking, power and objectification. It illuminates important issues in a gripping and unsettling fashion, even if parts of the dialogue seemed more didactic than realistic.
Ken Ballin
  • Shining City
  • A Lie of the Mind
  • Fuddy Meers
  • Spike Heels
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone (TCG Edition)
  • Intimate Apparel - Acting Edition

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone