Start by marking “The Prince of Whales” as Want to Read:
The Prince of Whales

The Prince of Whales

Young Toby's uncontrollable dream music filled the Arctic sea with a sound that brought great danger to all the whales in his pod. His music was sure to attract the human hunters with their killing ships and harpoons. Toby would have to be banished--unless he could silence his song.
Published October 15th 1987 by Tor Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince of Whales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince of Whales

The Call of the Wild by Jack LondonBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhite Fang by Jack LondonAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
All about Animals
347 books — 71 voters
Sirena by Donna Jo NapoliIngo by Helen DunmoreHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
Sea Creatures
610 books — 933 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have read my damaged copy many times over. I don't know where I got it, but I'm sure it was used. I've had it as long as I know... I like it, obviously. It's not a perfect book but it's very, very good. It's also a short book, and excellent, good to read in a day. Ideally a day by the sea, of course.
Christopher Rutenber
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book gets five stars for being so bad it's good. As a conservationist the sappy save the whales anti science hippie harmony crap was painful. The puns, Harlequin style purple prose, and caricatures were laugh out loud hilarious. Great party gag idea.
Talbot Hook
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Honestly speaking, there were a few thoughtful, lyrically-pleasant passages. However, so much cheesiness inevitably detracts from it all. The message is still a good one, though.
Jean Triceratops
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
The Prince of Whales is a children’s book—maaaybe a middle-grade book. There are even pictures. I know that in fifth grade I would have, unfairly, discarded it as childish.

Toby Whale, a young whale with a penchant for singing, must go on a quest to find his true voice and use it to help save the world from ecological destruction and, strangely, mental decay.
A more simple way to put would be: it’s like if Fern Gully and Rockadoodle were mixed together and set in the ocean.

I read it in one sittin
Julie Akeman
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So glad I was able to buy this since it's no longer in print. I first saw this book when I was in sixth grade but didn't get to buy it. I am a super whale lover and love Humpbacks because they sing (technically they are HUMMING but it's pretty far out to say the least).

This came out in the late 80's and when Greenpeace was working hard to save whales that are hunted down. I know whale hunting is still happening in other parts of the world but over the years the numbers of some are climbing back
K.A. Masters
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book tranformed me into a "reader." It is the first book that made me feel that mere words on a page could transform into a living, breathing entity. The characters are charming, the narrative is lyrical, the moral is poignant and beautiful. I have a stockpile of copies of this book, and offer it at every baby shower I attend in the hopes that this book will continue to shape the minds of the next generation.
Iris
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
5stars for maximum cheesiness! my fave bit: the price a singing whale pays when working under an orca herd's music management.
Amberae
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Like ferngully, but with sea life. quick read, might be good for kids, but I can think of better children's books with the same message. Rather play echo the dolphin. Nice idea though.
Todd Finney