Start by marking “The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven, #2)

The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven #2)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  792 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The ancient holy texts are missing.
The death of the world approaches.

Six extraordinary men have shared one vision of a black tower and a river of blood. Somewhere in the desert wastelands of America, the ultimate battle will be waged. The greatest experiment in evil since the beginning of time is under way, with all humanity its designated sacrifice.

The future is in the ha
Published July 26th 2005 by Avon (first published 1995)

mark monday
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Frost's follow-up to his highly entertaining The List of Seven, which featured the adventures of a Dr. Watson-esque Arthur Conan Doyle and mystical secret agent Jack Sparks, widens his world but sacrifices a lot of the fun. it all felt so forced and by the numbers; I realized after the 150-page mark that I was forcing myself to continue. why do that? there are so many other books to be read. and so I gave up.

steampunk has its stateside corollary in weird tales of a dusty america full of magic a
Fabian
Aug 16, 2009 rated it liked it
I guess it's a rule to most action adventure books: the grander the scale, the less endearing the tale. This is the sequel to "The List of 7," an eye-opening superfuntoread experience. The same characters, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jack Sparks, Alexander... all return. If this were The Mummy franchise, 7=The Mummy; 6=The Mummy Returns.

There is to be a congregation of six figureheads at a dark tower in the middle of Arizona. Doyle travels the ocean (has some obstacles... his brother accompanies him on
kirkesque
Mark Frost's first novel was The List of 7—one of the finest stories I have ever read. Mark Frost's second novel The Six Messiahs I grabbed up with an eager ferocity I have not often experienced.

The copy I read was 424 pages in length. Reaching page 419, I would have given this one 4 stars; a fine work, a few flaws. The last five pages took three and a half of those stars away. He... just... stopped. The ending would have to have done something to even be bad. This one wasn't even enough to get
William
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
When I first read THE SIX MESSIAHS, I was more than a bit disappointed with it. I wanted a sequel to the excellent LIST OF SEVEN. I wanted Jack Sparks and Conan Doyle, hunting down the bad guy, with all the appropriate Sherlockian nods and winks that would entail. What we get instead is a dizzying host of characters, hardly anything of Jack Sparks, and not much at all of Doyle.

If you're looking for Sherlock in this one, you're really looking in the wrong place. THE SIX MESSIAHS is a different b
Jeanene
Overall, a good story.

There were couple of times when I questioned the accuracy of some of the historical details, which really pulled me out of the moment. It's that sort of thing that can make or break an historical novel.

I wasn't particularly happy with the Jack Sparks character development, and wished that there was more of him and less of Doyle like in the first book.

On the plus side, Frost's writing skills were noticeably better, even if the story wasn't. The final chapter was well writte
Craig
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm a great admirer of Mark Frost and loved 'The List of Seven' and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the transference of those main characters from Victorian England to the New World. It was an engrossing and enjoyable romp from East to West and the central story remained gripping - my only minor complaint was that the ending felt a little truncated; I could greedily have accepted a more extended denouement. Nonetheless, a top-notch read!
Jeremiah
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it

After The List of Seven, I was really looking forward to more adventures of Mark Frost's fictionalized Conan Doyle, however this book didn't quite measure up to the first.

About 80% of this book is an intricately plotted and as sharply written as the first book. A very diverse collection of characters from all parts of the world are, through their adventures, converging on a specific location in the SW United States. There were times that I could almost see the parts clicking into place and it g
Luke
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
The second (and so far final) in Twin Peaks co-creator Mark Frost's series of books featuring a fictionalised Arthur Conan Doyle as a character isn't a great departure from the first. Once more, our trusty author - now thoroughly jack of Holmes - is caught up in world-changing events of a supernatural nature and must fight with Jack Sparks (Holmes' inspiration in this world) to prevent catastrophe, and a universal loss of stiff upper lip.

On this outing, Doyle embarks on a tour of the US to esca
Jason Pettus
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

I recently had occasion to think again about the exquisitely strange 1990s television show Twin Peaks, co-created by David Lynch and Mark Frost; and that got me thinking again about Frost's two genre novels from that time period as well, 1993's The List of 7 and '95's The 6 Messiahs, the first of which I
Silver
I remember when I read The List of Seven in high school, and I found the book to be completely fascinating. I kept me on the edge of my seat and once I picked it up I did not want to put it down. I absolutely loved Jack Sparks. So when I happened upon this book I was quite excited about it. Needless to say I was left somewhat disappointed. There was something about this book that I found not quite as engaging as the first book. It took me a bit longer to really get into it, and I thought it star ...more
Jan
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
The Six Messiahs is a story of "evil". The Author, Mark Frost tells a story of another Author. Arthur Conan Doyle, who wrote the Sherlock Holmes books.

In this story Mr. Doyle and his brother have embarked on a tour of America to sell his books. However, on-board the ship, sailing to America, he becomes immediately drawn into intrigue, himself becoming somewhat of a "Holmes" character and his brother his "Watson". He also meets an old friend,Jack Sparks who, it appears, was the muse for his books
Talia
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to an earlier book, "The List of 7." I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in this 'series.' It was gripping, fast-paced and really drew me in to the world of Jack Sparks and Arthur Conan Doyle.

This latest outing is set in late 1890's America, dancing from New York out to California before settling in Arizona. The plot, while still following the occultic theme of the first book, just didn't grab my attention as much as "7." Because there were so many characters in this book, I
Thk
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was glad that I pressed on reading this book, written in quite a quirky and unusual style that does not really promote fast reading. A highly off-the-track storyline that involves Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Thomas Edison a la The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, many has said that Frost's books are great material for a movie script, and this is not a bad suggestion considering his contributions as scriptwriter for the Twin Peaks show. Taking place in the wild wild West, with hints of religio ...more
Damarys
la verdad me costo tomarle el ritmo a este libro, en un inicio me parecio lento y sin sentido (lo odie), luego al avanzar la trama mejoro con personajes entretenidos.

el libro es la continuacion de otro (mm no lo lei y tampoco me parecio necesario; éste se explica muy bien solo) y trata principalmente del bien y el mal que reina en todo ser humano y la opción que poseemos de escoger a uno o el otro con sus debidas consecuencias.

3 estrellas más que suficiente porque tiene un inicio difícil, el des
Jo
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another good read from Mark Frost. However, the reason I dropped a star was the ending - it was as if the author ran out of paper and so abruptly finished the story in a very hurried and incongruous manner from which the rest of the book had been written.

Having said that, I really did enjoy the book. I like Frost's style of writing, and how he pulls together several story lines to one climatic conclusion. He keeps the reader engaged and I did find it hard to put down at the end of each chapter.

S
Stephanie Nunley
Shotgun
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pokračování sedmičky, které se přesunuje z Británie do USA a odehrává se již v době, kdy se A. C. Doyle, který na základě předchozí knihy vytvořil svého Velkého detektiva a nyní zažívá obrovský úspěch, který jej sice finančně zajistí ale zároveň jej neskutečně štve.
Druhý díl je ještě epičtější. Obě hlavní postavy, které představují dobro a zlo jsou nyní méně černobílé. Do dobrodružství se zapojují "supermani" různých světových náboženství a jejich cesty se pomalinku potkávají až vytvoří malou "a
Sadie
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
One of my guilty pleasures that I don't often admit is reading religious conspiracy type thrillers. I don't read many since I don't seek them out but when I find one by accident at the library, I'll check it out.

The premise isn't bad, though not great, the characters are mostly interesting and the writing is about mediocre, but still, this book is a very generous ok. I couldn't recommend it to anyone unless unsatisfying endings and less than thought out plot lines are appealing.
Mangieto
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2016
2.5 pero mi molestia más grande fueron los errores de edición y por eso lo subo. De verdad, no soy un as de la puntuación, pero hasta yo entiendo para qué sirven los dos puntos (:).
En cuanto al libro, lo mejor es que de hecho Doyle no es un personaje activo en la intriga. Los personajes no están mal, son algo obvios y cuadrados, pero he leído peores. Y la trama es lo que se espera del género, sin novedades.
Herbert
May 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Add this to the list of sequels that never should have been written. Loved The List of Seven—a real page-turner—but this book is lousy. So slow! It took me 5 mos. to read this thing; I kept putting it down and picking it up again. The plot is incoherent. The writing is torturous. Way to many anachronisms make it a poor work of historical fiction. Do not waste your time.
Laura Ruetz
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. With Arthur Conan Doyle as a character, what could go wrong? The answer is...a lot. The book was a muddled mess, and it made it hard to feel engaged in the story or the characters. While it had some good elements, once the action moved off the ship, it fell apart for me. The first half of the book was significantly better than the rest and the ending felt rushed and unfinished. Great concept but a failure in execution. Rather disappointing read.
William Thomas
Jul 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, dreck
A ludicrous novel by the co-creator of Twin Peaks. This book switched from modern prose to 19th century prose and utilized historical figures to create a B rate The Stand. Possibly, Mark Frost, you should also do a bit of research about the period you are writing about and understand that writing dialogue based on modern historical findings when the characters would have no way of understanding those findings 100 years prior makes your book come across as amateurish and laughable.
Jeff LaSala
For the most part, an enjoyable read—due in part to my fondness for the protagonists I already came to like from the superior The List of 7. But where I rereading that one periodically, this one wasn't as memorable. I did like it, though. I liked seeing a new take on old America from the eyes of Brits. The ending was definitely a disappointment. One of the most rushed sequences I've ever read.
Tanya
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this because Mark Frost did Twin Peaks with David Lynch, and I wanted to see what he was capable of on his own. Little did I know, Mark Frost did a lot of the Twin Peaks writing, and perhaps moreso even that Lynch. This book is very good; although I only vaguely remember the story line, I remember being impressed.
Bettie☯
Opening: The scorpion sat motionless on the back of the gambler's hand.

Started off fun however we were introduced to more and more people, too many characters here at the expense of any depth of personality or coherent storyline. And what a wimp of an ending.

Will have a read of his new one at the end of the year because Frost can write scintilatingly well.

mid two star

Arnita Medina
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-by-me
Even though I liked this book I thought his first book the list of seven was better, but I must admit the last chapter of this book to me was fast paced and exciting definitely 4 stars for the last chapter alone.
Roger
Nov 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Few times has a sequel so disappointed me. The disappointment I experienced reading "The Six Messiahs" was nearly on a par with the disappointment I felt reading "Dune Messiah". "The List of 7" was a great book...but this sequel fell flat!
Dulce Brito
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Mark Frost en su libro del sexto mesías nos habla sobre la vida de Arthur Conan Doyle y su famoso personaje Sherlock Holmes, es una historia entretenida abordo de un barco lleno de asesinos y un ninja, hay muerte y aventura, es muy complejo, porque cuenta varias historias a la vez, pero esta padre.
Jamie
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found myself enjoying this entry into the Doyle series nearly as much as the original entry. While not high culture they are entertaining light reading and perhaps that alone is enough to recommend them.
Ryan
Dec 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. My only real complaint about this book is that the set-up took SOOO LONG, and the ending was very abrupt. At times, there were too many storylines going on - I'm still not sure the time devoted to Dante Scruggs was worth it. List of 7 was better, but I'm glad I read this one also.
  • The Night Calls
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • Vládci strachu
  • Strážcové Varadínu (Dobrodružství kapitána Báthoryho, #1)
  • The Amateur Executioner: Enoch Hale Meets Sherlock Holmes (Enoch Hale, #1)
  • The Consulting Detective Trilogy Part I: University
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Valley of Fear: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel
  • Beneath London (Narbondo, #9)
  • The Angel of the Opera
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Graphic Revolve (Graphic Novels))
  • Cela číslo 17
  • Kniha o cintoríne
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Alliance
  • On Conan Doyle
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)

The List of Seven (2 books)
  • The List of Seven (The List of Seven, #1)