Start by marking “The Music of Silence: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Music of Silence: A Memoir

The Music of Silence: A Memoir

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
You don't have to be an opera fan to appreciate this beautifully written memoir by world-famous tenor Andrea Bocelli. Born among the vineyards of Tuscany, Bocelli was still an infant when he developed glaucoma. Music filtering into his room soothed the unsettled child. By the age of twelve he was completely blind, but his passion for music brought light back into his life. ...more
Published October 8th 2002 by It Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Music of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Music of Silence

Suzyqb87
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
musicofsilenceYou know me. I love reading fiction. However, I chose to read Andrea Bocelli's autobiography, "The Music of Silence: A Memoir," out of curiosity for this man whose voice has the warmth of a cozy fire, resonance of a cello, and familiar tone of a father's words. What kind of life produced such a singer?

Bocelli's poetic life story begins humbly in Italy. He was not, as I learned, blind since birth, but rather suffered from the disease of glaucoma, which took his eyesight. Knocks and
Piepie
I LOVE Andrea Bocelli! The very first album of his that I listened to was my grandma's copy of Romanza, that I have since bought a copy of for myself. I also own other albums of his, and his concert DVD's that I own are my special pride and joy.

Bocelli chose to write his autobiography in third person, and his main character is "Amos Bardi." We see Amos from birth to boyhood to pianist to classical superstar. His writing also had to be translated from English, so it's not smooth. I don't mind the
Lilla
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Especially to people who feel a bit alone and afraid.
Really inspiring and well written book that gave me a lot of motivation at a point of my life when I really needed it. Always loved Bocelli's beautiful voice, after getting to know pieces of his personality I look up to him even more now.

This isn't only an autobiography, it gives much more than that. Some authors would just skate over their own flaws, Bocelli on the other hand managed to achieve a fair approach regarding both himself and the description of others. His hard work and dedication we
Linda Hunt
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
As I've read several autobiographies, I find that - as human nature is - many of the authors gloss over any personal flaws. No so with The Music of Silence. Andrea Bocelli is a gifted performer, but he does not see himself as perfect, and he honestly writes as he sees himself. This is not a professional author - this is a man who has walked a long road, and who wishes to share his journey. So many glimpses into his emotions, so many chances and successes and friends and teachers - the reader may ...more
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this autobiography, but because it was translated from Italian I feel like some of the prose was choppy and awkward. I also wanted Bocelli to talk more about what it felt like to go blind at 12. You read about some of his frustrations right when the incident occurred, but very little later in his life. In fact, if you start in the middle of the book I don't think the reader would know that the person he is reading about is blind. This does demonstrate how little this obstacle really pr ...more
Janet Weise
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
As long as it took me to actually finish this book (8 years from start to finish) is probably a good indication of my assessment. Andrea B wanted to use a different name for the main character, even though it was a Memoir and you knew it was all about himself. It got a little confusing. It was written in Italian and translated into English and I think it therefore ended up being somewhat wordy. I think he could have said what he wanted in about 100 pages less. But again, could be due to translat ...more
Jael
Sep 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
I've had this book for years, bought for me as a gift at some point during my Bocellimania years. I started to read it a long time ago and found it a bit dull and didn't finish it. Decided that before I would bring home any more library books I must read a book in my own house I haven't read yet, and chose this one. I got all the way to the end. It was marginally less dull. I can't really pinpoint what about it seemed dull to me - perhaps his referring to himself in third person or perhaps he's ...more
Mollie
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wish he would of written this memoir in first person. That being said I loved learning about his struggles and triumphs. He is a very spiritual person and has a beautiful perspective on life. Celine Dion once said "If God had a singing voice, it would sound much like Andrea Bocelli." I agree. His voice makes my heart sing!
Jerianna
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the way that he wrote this in 3rd person about himself. It rubbed me the wrong way, sometimes, but also struck me as not quite sincere when I learned more about him and the events that transpired in his marriage after the book. He was humble and vain at the same time. Worth the read, but not a second one.
Sandy
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
The book was informative about Andrea's life. It was rather awkward in places and it was difficult to know if that had to do with his social awkwardness due to his disability/life experiences. I learned what I was curious about in his life. He seems quite religious and philosophical. It was very introspective. I still wonder how it works for him to navigate the performing life.
Tamela
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this one BUT...maybe it was the translation, perhaps Andrea is a little maniac, driven to extreme? Did his parents make him that way or was that just his personality? He has done amazing things, against the odds but only at the end did I feel I would like him as a friend. His music is pretty amazing though.
Bonni
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I'll admit to only having loved this book because I love Andrea; on its own it really isn't a great read. Good for those who just want to know his story, how he became blind, etc. and that's about it.
Annali Carmel
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was a bit disconnected by him writing in the third person, but I appreciated the freedom it gave him to tell his story. You can get a better sense of the man he is by his candour. Its not what I expected, but I think he did it right. :)
Aimee
Feb 02, 2008 added it
I love Andrea Boccelli but knew virtually nothing about his life. Most of the book was very interesting to learn how he got to where he is. At times the book seemed to stall and not really go anywhere but overall, I enjoyed it.
Jodee
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book simply because I love his voice. The story of his life and triumphs and tradegies were so moving. I enjoyed his method of storytelling the way he wove the whole picture of his family and homeland into it made me want to visit Tuscany.

Jeff
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book by a beautiful man. This book has been sitting on my shelf for a decade... finally took it down to read and had no idea how great this auto-biography could be. Now, if I could only afford his concert tickets...
Maren
Aug 18, 2010 rated it liked it
It was interesting to read about the life of one of my favorite musicians. Some of the content was unnecessarily shared. I got some answers to questions I had about how he went blind and how he got into the music world. Overall a decent Memoir.
Kendra
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kendra by: provo library
Amazing book, amazing life, amazing singer. What an incredible life this relatively young man has already lived, the book made me want to sit and listen to Andrea's Arias over and over again.
Jonette
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Biographies are a favorite of mine. I love to see what makes a person. I have long admired and loved Adrea's voice so it was interesting to see how it came about.
Sheila
Feb 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: blind, biography
A good autobiography of the famous Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli.
Maggie
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Andrea's story is compelling while the translation sucks.
Cydnie
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting way to write an autobiography. He writes it 3rd person, giving himself a different name.
Putri
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
It really changed my image of Andrea Bocelli.
I like the book, but I think it really is hard to translate from Italian to English, because it is quite confusing sometimes.
Titi Meche
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Women love Bocelli 1 2 Oct 26, 2014 08:44AM
  • Classical Music
  • My Organic Life: How a Pioneering Chef Helped Shape the Way We Eat Today
  • Closest Companion: The Unknown Story of the Intimate Relationship Between Franklin Roosevelt and Margaret Suckley
  • The Ungarnished Truth: A Cooking Contest Memoir
  • The Terminal Spy: A True Story of Espionage, Betrayal and Murder
  • Other Voices, Other Vistas: Short Stories from Africa, China, India, Japan, and Latin America
  • Empress Matilda: Queen Consort, Queen Mother and Lady of the English
  • The Flamboya Tree: Memories of a Family's War Time Courage
  • Praying for Strangers: An Adventure of the Human Spirit
  • Emily Post: Daughter of the Gilded Age, Mistress of American Manners
  • Look up for Yes
  • A Clearing in the Distance: Frederick Law Olmsted and America in the 19th Century
  • How to Love an American Man: A True Story
  • Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic
“The joy of a return is worth the price one pays at the moment of departure.” 0 likes