Start by marking “The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Diamond Throne (The Elenium, #1)

The Diamond Throne (The Elenium #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  27,593 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
The Diamond Throne (The Elenium)
Mass Market Paperback, 435 pages
Published June 13th 1990 by Del Rey (first published 1989)

Dirk Grobbelaar
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
'You'd better get ready to ride, Sparhawk.'

Meet Sparhawk: Pandion Knight and Queen’s Champion. If this were D&D his character class would likely be Paladin; he can cast spells, but mostly prefers to just chop off heads with his considerable broadsword.

Sparhawk is a bit of a bad-ass. So is his horse, Faran.

'It's the Queen's Champion. Don't ever stand in his way.'

I fairly devoured this novel in short order. Sparhawk has a zero tolerance approach to BS which is immensely refreshing and enjoyabl
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
I've probably read this 4 or 5 times. It's fun, entertaining & amusing. I liked this first trilogy better than the second (Tamuli) but both are good if you're looking for something quick, light & entertaining.

Sparhawk is a great character, a battered knight, but his horse Faran is my favorite. It's nice to see a horse as a character. More authors should do this.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
David Eddings' Belgariad series is what first gave me my love of reading, especially of fantasy, so I always have a soft spot for anything he has written and this book is no exception. Although I think the Belgariad is better I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Sir Sparhawk, a Knight of the Pandion order has returened to Elenia after 10 years of being exciled to find that the young queen, Ehlena, is sick and dying, betrayed by a corrupt Churchman who has lofty ambitions and her bastard cousin. It is
Christopher
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine Ford
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Diamond Throne is the first book in the Elenium series, and trust me it is amazing! It is followed by The Ruby Knight and The Sapphire Rose. This is possibly one of my most favourite books! I love absolutely everything about it! I could write pages and pages on how brilliant this book is, but since that would take you too long to read and I would land up giving to much away, I’ve tried my best to explain why this book is so fantastic.
David Eddings is more well known for his Bolgariad series,
Daniel
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dosadna i predvidiva knjiga sa dosadnim i predvidivim likovima koji rade dosadne i predvidive stvari. To sve i ne bi bilo tako staršno da su likovi interesantni, da imaju pametne razgovore ili da je glavni lik neko ko je kolko tolko realan a ne wunderkind koji je sve rešava pošto je pametniji od svih, ili bolji borac ili...

Jedino što je sama postavka priče interesantna sa princozom/kraljicom zamrznutom u dijamant dok joj ne nađu lek.

Iskreno zaobići.

Mada moguće da mi ovo smeta pošto sam već proči
Denise
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of High Fantasy series who are willing to sit through a slow opening novel
Shelves: fantasy, reread
David Eddings is comfort reading of the highest order (okay, I will admit that I stopped reading him after a certain point, but this series was before that point, so!); I'd reread all of the rest of this series in December, and all of the followup series (The Tamuli), but my copy of this one had taken a walkabout, so I had to backfill and re-read the first one last.

Eddings writes High Fantasy (with Capital Letters, even), with all the tropes and archetypes thereof -- there aren't any surprises h
Michael Cairns
I’m cheating here a little bit because this is a three book series, but it seems a little redundant to only talk about the first one, so please view this review as being for all three.
David Eddings is one of the great masters of the quest fantasy. What Tolkien started many, many authors have run with, though few as successfully or just generally as satisfyingly as Eddings.
The Elenium focuses on a Knight called Sparhawk and his travels to save his young and very beautiful queen, who is encased i
Kitvaria Sarene
Solid fantasy novel.
Interesting world, characters and plot.
Something was missing for me though. I couldn't place my finger on what exactly, but it was not as good as Sandersons books for example. Especially the dialogues seemed a bot lacking in a way.
The main character is a great and funny one anyway, so if you're on the lookout for a new series, and already read through most of the genre, this might still be a nice change while waiting for the next favorites.
Phelipe Pompilio
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resenha feita pelo blog Bravura Literária.

O Trono de Diamante, lançado em Agosto desse ano, foi o primeiro livro do gênero Fantasia publicado pela Editora Aleph, que é famosa por seus lançamentos do gênero de Ficção Científica. Grande admirador de Tolkien, o autor David Eddings foi um dos mais bem sucedidos escritores de fantasia do século XX. A Aleph apostou, e eu posso afirmar que o tiro foi certeiro!

No livro somos apresentados a Sir Sparhawk, um cavaleiro da Ordem Pandion, uma das quatro orde
Boingboing
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stating this upfront. It's not genius writing. The characters are two dimensional and perfect. They look perfect (except for when they have a feature that turns them from perfect to unique), they act perfect, their motives are noble and honorable, except for the villains who twirl their mustaches and laugh at their maniacalness.

Okay, maybe not quite that bad but it's close. Every cliche that could be hit seemed like it was.

No it didn't wrap up the main conflict. There don't seem to be any subp
Jacob
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, from_library
I remember this series very fondly, but I think I enjoyed it more as a teenager. It's still a good read, but the plot is a bit too "go here; chase clue; repeat". Subtlety is not Eddings' strong point. Like On Basilisk Station, the humor is a bit too on-the-nose, the protagonists are a bit too capable, and the author relishes showing antagonists getting their comeuppance. The story very much doesn't stand on its own (which has become a pet peeve of mine). And the prologue is a fictitious legend t ...more
Jacob Aitken
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heroism, fantasy
This is either my 3rd or 4th reading. Admittedly, it has some of the flaws of most of Eddings' work: the characters are chuckleheads and the plot usually revolves around...well, I won't spoil it but you can probably figure it out.

However, there are some marked improvements (and in the realm of general fantasy it is better than most).

1. Sparhawk is infinitely superior to Garion.
2. The bad guys are far more interesting than in the Belgariad. Azash is truly something to be feared. Kal Torak, by con
Jim
Not the correct edition. Mine is an old library copy from cassette tapes. The sound quality kind of sucked, but I've read the book in paper several times, so it wasn't a huge deal.

This is a simple story, a fun romp, that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's an interesting world with a neat system of magic & a definite goal. The characters are pretty standard, but their dialog makes them more interesting. I love that Faran, Sparhawk's horse, plays such a great role.

It definitely ends on a
Wastrel
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
On the one hand, I want to give credit to Eddings for trying to write this. He went from family-friendly bestselling non-Tolkien epic fantasy author of all time (at the time) to, immediately, a dark and brutal semi-noir proto-grimdark story about church politics, drenched in sex (albeit off-screen) and blood and elder gods and incest and pederasty and fountains of blood and ethnic cleansing and blood. And when I was eight, I loved it, although given his massive decline in sales apparently a lot ...more
Elizabeth Wallace
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The dialog in this book is probably the best thing about it. Eddings has a WONDERFUL talent with snappy remarks and clever comebacks. I remember when I first read it, reading bits aloud to my sister. "But ThPARhawk" he lisped. "You know how thatin thpoths when it geths wet!!"

Yeah, probably doesn't mean much to you, but trust me, it was hilarious.

It's a true fantasy novel, with knights and magic and battles and the works. Definitely my favorite Eddings novel.

That being said...

After rereading it
Jak
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Diamond Throne starts the Elenium trilogy and centre around the hero Sir Sparhawk who is the exiled Queen’s champion from an order of knights who are trained in magic as they are combat. On returning from exile Sparhawk finds that his queen has been poisoned and her power usurped by the corrupt head of the Elenian church. However the sorceress Serephina has encased the queen in diamond in order to delay the effects of the poison and buy Sparhawk time to find a cure.

Sparhawk sets about gathe
Jimmy
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Reread this book for what may be the sixth or seventh time. It's a day read, potato chip craving that somehow moves beyond.

This book has the elements I cherish most. It has plot, pacing, action, and character development. If you are a slow reader the book may lack urgency.

Sparhawk is a three-dimensional character, not the best but far from the worst. You get to know the first few characters in the starter and the plot presents equally appealing dual conflicts.

If you haven't read anything by Da
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This is the beginning of a new edding series and I am not as hooked as I was with the prior series of his.

Plot line is ok so far.

Characters are brilliant. I love sparhawk and Kuriks constant bickering, like an old married couple.

Just not as gripped by this as I was before with eddings. Still good just not great.

I will perservere!
David
Read this many years ago, and ended up skimming the second half. I could see why Eddings has such a poor reputation: the writing was boring and the characters were caricatures, with flat dialog and a generic Epic Fantasy Quest plot. I've never been tempted to read anything by Eddings since.
Yaya
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ok, so it's kinda formulaic, but the characters and their dialogues are just so utterly charming, I wasn't immune. On to The Ruby Knight!
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Eddings basically repeats the same plot over and over again. I'm particularly attached to Sparhawk, so I didn't mind at all.
itchy
Shelves: rereading
Review Soon™
Brynn
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I asked someone to buy me this book in grade seven, if memory serves. I had read and loved Eddings' other series The Belgariad by that point- Pawn of Prophecy was the first novel I ever read by myself, giving it a special, permanent place in my heart - and I was eager to read something else from the guy who, at the time, was my favorite fantasy writer (and the only one I knew, which would be why). I read maybe a third of The Diamond Throne before realizing I didn't care; and I stuffed it, disapp ...more
Tom Hansen
An exiled knight returns after 10 years to find his queen deathly ill and encased in magic stone in order to prolong her life. He sets out on a highly political and violent quest to rout out who is behind her mysterious illness and thwart those people that would want to usurp her throne.

I enjoyed this book. It wasn’t earth-shattering, but it was a fun read. It was also a fast-read. I made it through it’s 435 pages in 6 hours or so.

What enjoyed the most would be some of the quotes. Eddings made s
Landon
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Not a ground-breaking fantasy, and definitely reminiscent of the Belgariad. But it's good, nostolgic, David Eddings fun, so it gets a 4 in my book.
Matthew
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
If nothing else, I can credit this book and the subsequent series with being the books that got me to really fall in love with reading. I always liked reading, but this was the book that opened the flood gates. It was given to me by a friend when I was in seventh grade and it's safe to say it changed my life. So whatever I may think of it now, it will always have a special place in my heart.

That said, as an adult, it was pretty mediocre. Eddings has fun characters, but they're pretty one-note. T
Jay Holbrook
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eddings is an author that I was introduced to in the 4th grade. I read the Belgariad without much thought to what I was reading, low comprehension, high enjoyment... it was the fourth grade. Years later I would re-discover Eddings and read through his entire catalog of available works at the time, the Elenium becoming one of my favorite book series'.

The main character in "The Diamond Throne" is Sparhawk. A knight of the Pandion order. The Pandions are one of the sects of Church Knights in Edding
Should I? 3 10 Feb 08, 2016 03:25PM
Which series is your favorite? 11 52 May 07, 2014 07:53AM
Silver Stag Book ...: The Diamond Throne by David Eddings 1 3 Feb 23, 2014 05:09PM
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Eye of the Hunter (Mithgar, #14)
  • Dark Prince (Greek Series, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Elenium (3 books)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #3)

“Its a perfectly good face, Sparhawk."
"It covers the front of my head. What else can you expect from a face?”
72 likes
“I want a sword not a knitting needle
-Kalen ”