Start by marking “Wild Justice” as Want to Read:
Wild Justice

Wilbur Smith

Wild Justice

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  2,051 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
The hijacking of a jumbo jet off the Seychelles galvanizes anti-terrorist chief Peter Stride into the action for which he has spent a lifetime training. But in the hail of bullets which follows, he knows this is the beginning of a nightmare.
Audio, Large Print, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Macmillan UK (first published May 31st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Justice

Graham
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Not a bad read per se, but not up to the same immersive standard as the majority of Smith's output. WILD JUSTICE is fast-paced with some absolutely stunning action sequences in it, but there are too many flaws to make it a truly crackling thriller.

It kicks off on a real high, with the hijacking of a plane and the subsequent rescue mission described in sweaty detail. After this mini set-piece, though, the story seems to lose something. Smith wrong-foots you from the outset with the identity of hi
Erica Mukherjee
Though not as burning as the chicken and the egg question, “What came first, Rainbow Six or Wild Justice?” Regardless, the concept could be carbon copied from one book to the other. Albeit, Wild Justice would be the smudged and harder to read copy. Escalating terrorist attacks lead an trans-Atlantic team of highly trained intelligence and army men to be ready at a moment’s notice to fight against the rising tide of evil. This is a plot line designed to thrill, and in both cases the authors, Tom ...more
Christian
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Major General Peter Stride is the head of THOR a anti terror unit composed of British and American Soldiers, which is supposed to act against "militants" (they are never called terrorists) all over the world. His second in command is a American Colonel. (If i ever wondered were Tom Clancy got his plot for Rainbow 6 now i knowRainbow Six)

Peter Stride must be also the must gullible man in the world over the run of the book he is consistently chasing a different track to uncover the identity of ter
Harv Griffin
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own
pic of my copy of THE DELTA DECISION

When I first read HUNGRY AS THE SEA by Wilbur Smith I loved it so much I went down to my local used bookstore and bought everything they had by Wilbur Smith, a stack of 7 or 9 books, as I remember. This one, THE DELTA DECISION, was the only one that really worked for me as entertainment. It is better known on GoodReads as WILD JUSTICE, the title in the UK, and the story was made into a Roy Scheider movie.

Smith writes a lot of period piece novels, none of which I was able to "get into." His nove
Thom Swennes
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wild Justice isn’t what one would expect from a Wilbur Smith book. His vast knowledge of the African Continent wasn’t tested as he moved his story over the whole world. My impression after the first hundred pages was it would be another Tom Clancy (Rainbow Six) international anti-terrorist squad tale. As the story progresses, so did the winding road it followed. The route had so many turns, I found myself suspecting everyone of being Caliph. As only a great writer can, in the end everything is c ...more
Alex
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeing as this is the first I've read by Smith I was intrigued, knowing he writes series.

It was well written, in that it was slower than your usual contemporary spy novel, but at the same time it was a really quick read. The plot twists were pretty insane. I enjoyed every minute of it. Even though the character of Magda got on my nerves so many times. Particularly at the end...

Saying that, I'm pretty sure I'll be reading more of Wilbur Smith in the future.
Frik Prinsloo
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, A great book by the master. The plot was neatly set and executed. It kept me guessing close to the end. I will recommend this book anytime. The characters came to life in this action packed book.
Ron
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast paced, tension building plot about a commando leader of the elite Atlas Command desire for revenge against a ruthless puppet master terrorist. Of course, he falls in love with the beautiful & wealthy widow along the way.
Fredrick Danysh
An aircraft is highjacked on its way to South America. Only one man can save everyone from the terrorists. Another modern terrorist novel about an over worked theme.
Nicki
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical Wilbur Smith book, very descriptive and a good read. I had picked the ending though, well most of it;
Mvthornton
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think this one was too long. Good ending, but room for a 4th book if needed.
Dave LaMorte
Disappointed

Not what I have become to expect from Wilbur Smith. A lot of rambling. Not the worst I have read, but a long way from the usual.
Vismay
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you get swashbuckling, nonstop action, what more can you want?!!!!!

Wilbur Smith’s ‘Wild Justice’ is everything that a hard core action buff would slaver on! I might have mentioned once or twice that I tread cautiously while reading one of the authors whom I haven’t come across. But Wilbur Smith emerges as a good pick, and judging by the present novel, I would definitely try his other ones.

Cover of Wild Justice
I had a James Bond-ey type feeling while reading this novel, most particularly the
Ali Molenaar
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Jaren geleden voor het laatst gelezen, maar het blijft een megaspannend boek. Wel opletten met lezen, anders raak je de draad kwijt
Frank
This novel is somewhat dated. However, even though the novel involves countries, situations, and politics that have changed since its publication in 1979, I still found the story to be full of action and appeal and a pretty good thriller. After all, a lot has changed regarding terrorists, airport security, etc. since 9/11. I especially liked the beginning sequence with the hijacking of the airliner and rescue in South Africa as well as the rescue of Stride’s kidnapped daughter. I will admit that ...more
James Atkinson
Apr 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Treading similar lines to Rainbow six, this is a poor thriller.
Problems:
1. the authors inaccuracy's to suit the plot. 'Violence provokes change like the suffragettes'-no this alienated there support, it was women's role in ww1 which aided there quest for the vote far more.
2. The fascist undertones. Our superman hero shoots a suspect because she'll be out next week (tell that to gitmo bay's inmates) which leads a reprisal bombing and no progress in the inve
Oct 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several typos related to major events in the story, rather than just spelling/grammar, were really annoying. One of them is even on the back cover: "It begins as a routine trip to South Africa." It was NOT a trip to South Africa. The flight was supposed to go from the Seychelles to Nairobi, Kenya, and is ordered to be flown to South Africa by the hijackers. Other than that, it was full of suspense, and kept me turning pages, but reading novels about crazed international terrorists isn't really m ...more
Waltham
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The chase of an international terrorist 'Caliph' could have been interesting, but the strings of the plots are the size of boat ropes ; add to that a retching love affair and the overly detailed description of any place, piece of clothing, piece of equipment, attitude and thoughts, it was not hard to fast forward to the end of that long book.

One detail though : it has a very interesting view on communist terrorism at the beginning, as seen from post 9/11 eyes. Remember the book was written durin
Karel Soeters
A below average book from Wilbur.
A plot for which no research was needed (apart from some traveling to some destinations)
Wilburs algorithm for books (Afrika, suspence, cruelty, sex and violence) was too easily applied.

To write a plot with very handsome, very strong, multi-skilled and multi language and very very rich main persons every scenario is possible.

But may be I read too many Wilburs ? (About 25)
Matthew Macmartin
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahh what a very satisfying book. Chock full of mystery, action, political intrigue, add a dash of romance and you have one heck of a read. Its the sort of book whos action keeps you reading and the mystery keeps you coming back.

Slightly predictable but very forgivable since he keeps it at a great pace to not belabor anything. Highly recommend for those folks who enjoy the political mysteries, action, or just all round good fun.
Prashanth Kanichar
story starts with hijacking a plane. rescue operation. like most English movies hero saves and story starts here..this novel contains action scenes enough for 3-4 movies.but as a writer( haven't read his African series yet) Wilbur Smith not impressed me. I read only two books but not fully enjoyed it..
Athena
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not something that I would usually read, but hey, it was there, and I didn't have anything else lying around.

A little weird to read a 1979 rendition of terrorism in 2010.

If you like action, war, terrorism themed books this one is pretty good, but despite the plot twists, I knew early on in the book who the bad guy was.
Suby
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book goes well until the very end when the story turns topsy turvy! Probably because Wilbur Smith was comparatively inexperienced at the time of writing this book he fails to make the best use of all that could have been done with a nice plot and put in a beautiful climax! This bhook is a far cry from his last book I read - Those in Peril.
Tom Tischler
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anti terrorist chief Peter Stride has spent a lifetime
training for this position. But even in the hail of
bullets that follow he knows that this is only the
beginning of this nightmare. This book is an oldie but
goodie from around 1979 and you may have to go to the
archives to find it but it's well worth the effort.
Mark
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great opening sequence - really rated the first quarter of the book. If seemed to lose its way thereafter or perhaps I just did; either way came to the end of the book feeling if just didn't live up to the scintillating start.
Paul
an interesting insight to the mind of a terrorist - written against the backdrop of a time where Middle east organisations, the PIRA, the Red Brigades and many more brought terrorism to prominence on a World Wide basis
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"This story of an elite cross national anti-terrorist force is somewhat dated now, especially in the telling, but the core of the terrorist problem is still perfectly valid. The leader has to track down the shadowy Caliph who threatens to make terrorism a business."
Guillermo
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
This is my first Wilbur Smith book. Nice reading after all. For non native English speakers, his use of language is sometimes too deep and the fast pace of the novel makes it a little hard to follow if your vocabulary isn't fluent enough. But overall I liked it a lot. Ideal for holiday reading.
Mary
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't picked up a Wilbur Smith novel in a long time. I'm now wondering why. This was a gripping book, full of twists and turns, some of which I anticipated and some of which I didn't. I can say, for certain, that I will be reading his books more regularly!
Shashank Sinha
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice book - fast paced thriller. With good twists.

However, for some reason, i was able to anticipate the outcome of the twists each time :-) Maybe it's an old book, and this format has been tried a few times now ...

• Bahama Crisis
  • The Red Fox
  • Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley, The  (MAXNotes Literature Guides)
  • Black Heart
  • The Black Shrike
  • The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Bodies Electric
  • Bloodstained Kings
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...

“isn’t that great!’ But the” 0 likes