Start by marking “By Blood We Live” as Want to Read:
By Blood We Live

By Blood We Live

(Otherworld Stories #7.2 -Twilight)

From Dracula to Buffy the Vampire Slayer; from Castlevania to Tru Blood, the romance between popular culture and vampires hearkens back to humanity's darkest, deepest fears, flowing through our very blood, fears of death, and life, and insatiable hunger. And yet, there is an attraction, undeniable, to the vampire archetype, whether the pale European count, impeccably ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Night Shade (first published July 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about By Blood We Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Blood We Live

Start your review of By Blood We Live
Lisa
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
No review. I read this long ago, and it stunk! There are some damn fine authors here, but you wouldn't know it from these shorties. If it's free, then maybe it's worth a browse. I paid. Ugh! Boy, did I pay!
If you are someone who agrees with me, and think that Vampires should and would be scary AF. Then go find Brian Lumley, and his Necroscope series. If you want the God-awful, what the fuck is going on scares, then Brian Lumley is it. He just is. I don't give a shit about any one else's
Mir
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
I picked this up after realizing that Gaiman's Snow, Glass, Apples was not a book but a quite short story (why do some short stories get independent listings and others not?). That turned out to be a quite dark re-envisioning of Snow White. It was good but not superb; given the length too much space was given to unimportant details.

My very favorite story in the collection was Garth Nix's "Infestation," a very original and science-fictiony explanation of vampirism.

There were a couple stories
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
I'm not going to lie, I really really want to read this because the cover references my all-time FAVORITE vampire movie.
Cyn Armistead
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This thing is an enormous tome! I don't know if it has been released in hardback or not, but if it has, that version has to be anchor-worthy. I requested it from the library because Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette had stories in it, and I'll read pretty much anything either of those worthies publish. I didn't expect to care for most of the rest, and didn't plan to do much more than flip through them.

As it happens, I read most of the other stories, and there were many surprises. I did skip some
Oria
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I could say I have been hungry for short stories but I didn’t know it until I saw the fat book sitting there on the shelf, as if waiting for me. The cover promised rich short stories by writers like Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Joe Hill, Tad Williams, Anne Rice and many more, just perfect for sinking my teeth into on my commute to and from work.

I must confess that I have a soft spot for horror stories, and vampire tales fit into that category nicely. Taking the book from the shelf and leafing
Dan
With an anthology, it's always hit or miss. The following short stories are the ones I enjoyed in this book, the rest were boring and mediocre. That's why it only got two stars...

Lifeblood-Michael A. Burstein
Infestation- Garth Nix
Much at Stake- Kevin J. Anderson
Hit-Bruce McAllister
Peking Man-Robert J. Sawyer
One for the Road-Stephen King

That's about it. If anyone knows a better collection of vampire short stories please let me know. Thanks.
Shadowdenizen
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.
A decent collection, with a better than expected author list.

But very few of these stories actually really GRABBED me and made me say "Wow"....
jessica
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Compiled and edited by John Joseph Adams, this anthology of vampire stories is filled to the brim with some very well known and widely well loved authors. Each story has its own introduction, giving you a brief background on the author, noting some of their most popular works and on occasion, giving you a little background or insight into the story included. I really liked this added touch. Within this book, you shall find a prime display of all the reasons why our culture can be considered a ...more
Alex Telander
Dec 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Vampires and zombies continue to be incredibly popular, and after editing a collection of zombie stories in Living Dead, John Joseph Adams now turns to the tale of the vampire in By Blood We Live. Featuring stories from Stephen King to Neil Gaiman to Kelley Armstrong to Jane Yolen; after reading this book you’ll either be sick of the blood-sucking fiends or be stocking up on garlic and crosses.

The collection kicks off with Neil Gaiman’s twisted tale of Snow White moving on to the only short
Wayne
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Newer anthology of short vampire stories. Some of the stories are outstanding, some are so-so. Worth reading for the Neil Gaiman Snow White retelling Snow, Glass, Apple. The Harry Turtledove Under St. Peter's is a great what if? Steven King's short is a finely crafted Salem's Lot update. Those along with oft-reprinted Anne Rice short and the Brian Lumley's are among the best and well worth the read.
Beverly Fox
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I've honestly never read an anthology like this before and I have to say that after this experience I definitely want to check out others like it. It covered the gamut of interpretations of vampires- from the tortured, sexy souls (which I totally admit I'm a massive fan of) to the hard-core monsters so frightening they couldn't be further from human and examined all of the interactions, concepts and societal roots of all these different interpretations. I can't say that ever author's voice was ...more
Deborah
88 • Endless Night • (2008) • shortstory by Barbara Roden
106 • Infestation • (2008) • novelette by Garth Nix
120 • Life Is
James
I picked this book because it contains one of the very few works by Sergei Lukyanenko that have been translated into English. Lukyanenko's story, "Foxtrot at High Noon," was short but excellent.

Other highlights of this collection include "Snow, Glass, Apples" by Neil Gaiman (although trigger warning, for just about any trigger you can imagine...); "Child of an Ancient City," by Tad Williams; "Endless Night," by Barbara Roden; "Infestation," by Garth Nix; "The Vechi Barbat," by Nancy Kilpatrick;
Megan
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to rate this. On the one hand, I can look at it objectively and see that it contains a lot of quality vampire stories, with a wide variety of takes on what makes a vampire, and what makes a human. On the other hand, I just could not focus on any of the stories, to the point where they sort of all blended together in some strange vampiric world. Except for the ones I'd read previously, like Neil Gaiman's and Stephen King's. Those I reread just to enjoy ...more
Jevron McCrory
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Typical of most anthologies, some stories are are to die for, others are so weak I am amazed they made it in. Thus, the beauty of collections such as these, you don't like the current story, fear not, another is on the way shortly.

I cannot forgive the total RIP OFF of 'The Lost Boys' style font and design for the cover though! Unforgivable! It's not a homage, it's theft and it's sickening.

Bah, for what it's worth, this was money well spent and I intend on reading the whole thing again.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Twilight - 2 stars

Cassandra POV about her annual kill. No me gusta. And I typically do like Cassandra . . . this was just a bit too morbid for me.
John J Questore
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
You’re browsing for something to read and see the following on the cover: Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Joe Hill, Anne Rice, Brian Lumley, Harry Turtledove – all writing about Vampires; who WOULDN’T buy this anthology, right? Sounds like this would be an amazing anthology to read. And for $1.99, it seems like a steal – which it was. $1.99 stolen from me! No offense to John Joseph Adams (the editor), but this had to be the worst collection of stories I have ever had the displeasure to choke down. ...more
Karen
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Introduction – John Joseph Adams – How do we define the vampire?
Snow, Glass, Apples – Neil Gaiman – The Step-mother’s version (have read before)
The Master of Rampling Gate – Anne Rice – Julie & Richard inherit a very old home that their father wishes for them to tear down.
Under St. Peter’s – Harry Turtledove – Who was thirty-odd years old when killed?
Child of an Ancient City – Tad Williams - Islamic story telling to make the wine go further
Lifeblood - Michael A. Burstein - Jewish
Deborah
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I recommend only these stories:

"Foxtrot at High Noon" by Sergei Lukyanenko (Western)*
"Endless Night" by Barbara Roden (literary horror)
"The Wide, Carnivorous Sky" by John Langan (military sci-fi)
"Infestation" by Garth Nix (post-apocalyptic sci-fi)

So, I really love those top four stories, and I'm very pleased I read them. I got through some of the others. I mildly enjoyed Barbara Hambley's "Sunrise on Running Water" (historical) which is the one I read the book for, but I think she's better in
Julie
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I have now finished the last section of this book. I divided it up into approximately 100 page sections which I read a year or so apart. The reason? Although the stories were written by a large variety of authors, all quite good, and the vampires and stories were quite varied, there was a sameness due to they're all being about traditional vampires in the horror vein. I found I could only take a certain number of a stories at a time, then I needed a break. I have just finished the last section ...more
Johan
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, fantasy, horror
Not every story is worth 4*, far from, but this collection of short vampire stories was a very enjoyable read. In it you will find traditional vampire stories, alternative vampire stories, a symbiotic vampire story, a vampire from space, vampires who boldly go where no man or vamp has ever gone before, a vampire who booked a safe journey to America on the unsinkable Titanic, vampire stories of the past, the present and the future, ... and even a story about a vampire who is kept locked up deep ...more
Barbara Richards
Awesomely engaging anthology!

One of the best collection of Vampire stories I have read in a very long time! From the moment I read the first story in the collection,I was hooked! What really made this book different,and ultimately more enjoyable was that these tales about "the undead" were very differently written and kept me engrossed and very entertained throughout!
Thaydra
I wasn't able to get through all of the stories before having to return this book. It was good in the sense of novelty, but I can't say that any of the stories I did get through really gripped me at all. Perfect for reading on breaks or when you need short bursts of story. Nothing I would go out of my way to recommend.
Allan
I liked these . Some more and some a little less . 8ne or two a4e just silly , yes the Turtledove one is frivolous . Obe has a dream meeting between Vlad Tepes and Bela Lugosi . IIRC , this was from an bargain table at a bookfair .
Charl
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any fan of dark, spooky vampires.
Shelves: 2019
A huge collection of wildly varied vampire stories, by an amazing assortment of authors. Several gems, my personal favorite being "The Wide, Carnivorous Sky". Lots of great stories, and an amazing variety. Any fan of the genre will find several delights in here.
Mark
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid anthology

Usually vampire fiction is pretty basic and repetitive. This one gets marks for both good authors and original concepts. A good buy for the price
Sam
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really fun, well put together collection of vampire fiction.

I'd say "Under St. Peters" was the most memorable one on here, but many were good.
Vonda Mîkesell
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Blood

By Blood is a fantastic compilation of vampire stories that entertain and scare the heck out of you. I can't believe I read most of the book at night.
Mirhanda
While the big name authors' stories were good, the others were "meh" at best.
Rikki
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
meh
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Blood Sisters: Vampire Stories by Women
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • Every Last Drop (Joe Pitt, #4)
  • 23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)
  • Marie-Thérèse, Child of Terror: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Special Duty: A History of the Japanese Intelligence Community
  • The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America
  • Critical Role – Vox Machina: Origins
  • Uncharted (Arcane America, #1)
  • Finding Zsa Zsa: The Gabors Behind the Legend
  • Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando
  • Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body (Agatha Raisin, #21)
  • The In-Betweens: The Spiritualists, Mediums, and Legends of Camp Etna
  • Witchfather - A Life of Gerald Gardner Vol2. from Witch Cult to Wicca
  • Witchfather: : A Life of Gerald Gardner, Volume 1--Into the Witch Cult
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 5: Bloodsucker Tales
  • Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH ...more

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)
“Hey presto: time travel. You don't need a time machine, it turns out, you just need a friend to laugh like a teenager. Chronology shivers.” 16 likes