Start by marking “Home for a Bunny” as Want to Read:
Home for a Bunny

Home for a Bunny

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  2,472 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Generations of children have followed this furry, lovable bunny on his journey to find a home. Margaret Wise Brown’s simple yet playful tale is beautifully complemented by Garth Williams’s exquisite artwork.

From the Hardcover Library Binding edition.
Hardcover, Big Little Golden Book, 32 pages
Published February 11th 2003 by Golden Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Home for a Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home for a Bunny

Caleb
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those curious about where bunnies live
Recommended to Caleb by: I think the Easter Bunny gave it to me originally...
Shelves: picture-books
I read this several thousand times growing up, and just re-read it as an adult for the first time. It's considerably less suspensful than I remembered it being. (Spoiler: The best place for a rabbit to live isn't a bird's nest or a frog's bog but in a rabbit hole).

A warren? Is that what you call rabbit den/holes? This book doesn't say. The art is by Garth Williams, who wrote and drew the anti-living-in-sin book "The Rabbit's Wedding," which I did not realize until just this weekend.

Adrienne
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fond memories of my mother reading this to me. I thought the ending was so beautiful. Also, my mom would always say "Home for a bunny" when we were done with our errands.
Becky B
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this story and the illustrations as a young child. To this day I think I can still recite almost the entire book.
Russell
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
MWB typically knocks it out of the park when bunnies are involved. Just thinking about The Runaway Bunny gets me misty-eyed. But this rabbit romp reaches and falls flat. (view spoiler)
Heather
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a child. My mother read it to me about 1,000 Times. My father read it to me about 2,000 times. I had it memorized. My son's loved it too. With a celebration of spring, a wonderful story mixed with beautiful illustrations by Garth Williams, this book is a must-have for all young children.
Margaret Chind
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
Very cute. Picture and story from my childhood now I'm able to share with my girls in a lovely large golden book format. Perfect for spring all season long and a good add on bunny theme around Easter.
Shala Howell
Sep 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sweet little story. Pleasant to read over (and over and over ...)
Jobiska (Cindy)
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Wise Brown words + Garth Williams illustrations = Love
Megan B
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book AND perfect for emerging readers
Julia
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a charming story in which a young bunny finds himself in Spring looking for a home. What will be the best home for a bunny and will he find it?

There are some other books like this one out there that seem so familiar and catch my attention a lot better. The author attempted to make words rhyme but it doesn't fit throughout the plot so there is a really weird rhythm going on. At the same time, though, there are plenty of chances to allow children to help on making animal sounds while you
Cindy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Copyright 1956. The illustrations are beautifully drawn by Garth Williams. Tale of a bunny wandering through the countryside looking for a home (and a friend!). Preschool & under.
A favorite read in my house back in the day!
Andy Hickman
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Little Golden Books – Home for a Bunny
Nice to return to these first reads of mine.
OzereVader
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked it because the bunny found a home and he also found somebody to live with.
Brittany
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for springtime and talking about animals and their homes.
Charity Yost Reed
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Margaret Wise Brown hit in our house!
Lynda
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A beautiful picture book from Margaret Wise-Brown if a sweet little bunny’s search for a home.
Amanda Case
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Home for a Bunny is a story about a bunny looking for a place to live. He searches all over the woods, but eventually decides to move in with another bunny.
Stephanie Snyder
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of our family's favorites.
A fun read.
A great choice for every child's bookshelf.
Robert Beveridge
Margaret Wise Brown, Home for a Bunny (Golden Press, 1956)

Margaret Wise Brown is, of course, best-known for Goodnight Moon. It's a classic for a reason, even if it does break its rhythm in one very conspicuous place (“and a young mouse” is missing two syllables). If you're familiar with Brown past that, it's probably because of The Runaway Bunny, and I have often wondered how popular that book would still be were pictures of it not cleverly introduced in Goodnight Moon. But Brown wrote a large n
Jay
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My review of Mr. Dog earned a "caution - spoilers" red flag.

So, let's forget the plot of this "bunny" book, such as it is, and hop right to the reasons -- two, of them -- you should buy it and read it aloud to your child,your children, your sweetheart, or anyone else you care about, yourself included.

1) Margaret Wise Brown wrote it.

2) Garth Williams illustrated it.

Margaret Wise Brown had a "thing" for rabbits, and no one illustrates them cuter, cuddlier and more appealingly (from a child's pe
Katie Fitzgerald
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read during Preschool Class Visit on 5/9/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 4/12/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 8/22/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Moms Club Story Time on 4/28/16: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Anne Hennessey
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Home for a bunny is a wonderful tale about a little bunny looking for a house to make his home. This picture book is repetitive, so even a child of two after a view readings will be able to start repeating the story line or by looking at the pictures.
I used this book in preschool with a Neighborhood theme. We discussed that there are a variety of houses but the one you choose becomes your home.
I love love this picture book!
Emily Garrison
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This Little Golden Book has been in our home for as long as I can remember. It originally cost $.89 and was copyrighted in 1961. As a bunny hops along in the countryside, he encounters many other animals; a robin and her babies in the tree, a frog in the bog, a groundhog in a log but could not figure out where the perfect home for a bunny might be. Finally, he runs into another bunny and figures out the perfect home for a bunny. A darling little story with beautiful pictures!
Jaime Contreras
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is the first book I read to my eldest back in 1986. It was Christmas and I enjoyed spending time reading the tale of a bunny looking for a new home. My daughter loved the bunny drawings. I also got hooked on Ms. brown's books. I have read many throughout the years. I hope to read them to my grandchildren.
Robin
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Have I read this book before today? Possibly since this is a Golden Book in an oversize format. This is such a wonderful story about a rabbit looking for a home. And the illustrations by Garth Williams are captivating. Although I tend to use a lot of newer books, this is an old favorite that I will offer during a storytime this summer, I think!
Rbettermann
A bunny comes down the road in the Spring and is looking for a home. He is looking under a rock, under a stone, or under the ground. Robin and frog and even the groundhog helps bunny to find a home. I would use this picture book for grades k - 2. I would read to my students as a read aloud and talk about the different animals that are presented in the story.
Modboy
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Simply put bunny is looking for his home. He asks the other animals where they live, always places unsuitable for a bunny. That is until he meets another bunny.

Williams' art is pleasant and MW Brown's story is sweet but I could not get into the rhythm of the text. The rhymes don't always match up and they're often missing when you expect one although children probably won't mind.
Alisha Brook
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Title: Home for a Bunny
Series: Little Golden Book
Author: Margaret Wise Brown
Genre: Children's
Rating: 3 stars

A great childhood book.
Follow the journey of the bunny finding a home. It's a beautiful tale, beautifully complimented with illustrations. A great addition to the Little Golden Books collection.
SeriouslyJerome
You just can't go wrong with a Margaret Wise Brown book. Garth Williams illustrations make it even better.

The excitement built as Pippa anticipated the results of a bunny asking various animals if he could join them in their homes, in the hope of finding his very own. I think Pippa was disappointed when he finally did...
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We read this one often. It's sweet and simple. Bunny looks for a home and asks the other animals around where their homes are. Eventually he lives in a hole under a rock with another bunny friend. The artwork is the best part, at the end of the book, the bunnies' home looks so cozy you want to crawl in with them.
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Poky Little Puppy's First Christmas
  • On the Moon
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • Wombat Divine
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown