Start by marking “Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)” as Want to Read:

Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas

(Piratica #1)

Artemesia is the daughter of a pirate queen, and she's sick of practicing deportment at the Angels Academy for Young Maidens. Escaping from the school, she hunts up her mother's crew and breezily commands them out to sea in a leaky boat. Unfortunately, Art's memories of her early life may not be accurate-her seasick crew are actors, and Art's infamous mother was the darlin ...more
Published September 27th 2004 by Dutton Juvenile (first published February 12th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Piratica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piratica

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
549 books — 681 voters
Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia LevensellerUnder the Jolly Roger by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia ReesBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPieces of Jade by Lani Woodland
Teen Pirate Books
56 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Raymond St.
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Storytelling is for fun. That's not what they tell you in English Lit 301. There you endure blither about 'mirroring the human condition', or capturing real life in beige dialogue on dull days, else grandiose calls to craft words into entire worlds. All very nice, if that's what you like. And yet the stone truth remains, unmoved: storytelling is for fun.

"Piratica" is told for fun; to make the reader giggle, make the teller laugh. A serious young schoolgirl is hit on the head, recalls she is a pi
travelmel
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book for two reasons: 1) I've been meaning to read something by Tannith Lee 2) I'm addicted to the Bloody Jack series and fear it's drawing to a close.

At first I was dismayed.. she's nothing like Jacky. No fun, no silliness, all seriousness. But it was probably a good thing, really, as the comaparisons in my mind stopped pretty early on.

I'm not much of a plot discusser so I'll say this: The begining was a bit slow but... maybe lots of books are and I should just quit being crit
Tara Chevrestt
Aug 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
Just not for me. I thought it was YA and checked it from the library, but it's geared more towards ten year olds. The pirates are silly and hang out in a coffee house and drink coffee rather than rum. Kinda strange. But if I was ten, I would probably love it I'm not ten though and not in the mood for coffee drinking pirates. I didn't finish.
Lynette
Jan 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Lady Knight
I have probably read this book at least a half dozen times and every time I start out by asking myself why I'm reading it; I hate the writing style. But everytime I get past the first few chapters and am so enthralled with the plot and the humour that I forget about it and enjoy the book to no end. Tanith Lee is a master at wit and humour (despite the writing style that can be grating at times). This book is highly enjoyable and I highly recommend it.

Art, at the age of sixteen, is emprisoned in
Hack
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
this book was really cute. it started out a bit slow, but sped up fairly quickly. i thought the main character was a bit crazy at first, but she seemed to become more real as i read more. the only part i didn't like was the continuing references to a certain play. every action in the book was compared to this play, which after a while made me want to shake the next person to make the comparison. however, in the end, the references had a reason for being in the book. overall, it was a good read ( ...more
Althea Ann
I was really excited when this book came out. I fully expected to totally love it - Lee is one of my favorite authors, so.. Lee and pirates? How could it go wrong?
I'm not quite sure, but somehow it does.
Set in a 'slightly parallel world' in 1802 (which basically means that place names are spelled wrong: the river Thamis flows through Lundun, for example), 'Piratica' gives us a young woman named Artemisia, who, while studying deportment at her girls' school, falls and hits her head. After this bl
Heidi
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
The writing was not my cup of tea.
Milliebot
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review and others posted over at my blog.

Tanith has created a semi-Victorian (Regency? I don’t know time periods, sorry!) world in the year of Seventeen-Twelvety (how awesome is that?!) which somewhat resembles the actual year of 1802. This world primarily differs from our own in how the countries are laid out and there’s a handy map in the front that I actually referenced for once. But because this is Tanith and I am a flappy-handed fangirl for everything she’s written (ugh except Greygl
Georgie Penn
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like to read Pirate stories.
I thought this was a really fun book. A lot of sword fighting, and treasure seeking. I really thought it was great that the main character would not kill anyone even though she was a pirate.

However at the end of the book, Art Blastside is about to be hanged when Felix, the guy she loves, jumps up on the gallows, and stops the hanging with a magnificent speech, and Art, or Piratica as she is called by all her many fans, is spared!
Felix uses the excuse that Piratica never hurt anyone, she may ha
Wendy
Jul 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I found this slow going at first, though it really picked up in the second half, once the heroine encounters her nemesis and really sets off on her quest. If the whole book had been as good as the second half, I'd have easily given it four stars.

Something that bothered me a tad is the way the book tries to deal with the ethics of piracy. The book is very careful to make the heroine and her crew nice pirates - they never actually kill anyone, and somehow they only seem to rob unpleasant people w
Branwen *of House Targaryen*
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of swasbuckling, fun-filled pirate stories
I really really enjoyed this book. This is a fun-filled, action adventure story about a young girl who is very strong spirited; enough so that she becomes Capt. of a pirate crew (sort of) and becomes the most notorious and well loved Pirate Queens! If you're looking for a fun book about pirates, then look no further!
Janelle
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Tanith Lee's books I have read and it proved to be most enjoyable. She has a poetic style that may not be easily read by some young readers, but those who can adapt to her style will enjoy a novel with a memorable plot and characters.
Taylor
Apr 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young women and little girls of all ages
Shelves: fiction, childrens
What is cooler than a non-violent,terribly cunning, utterly devious, sixteen-year-old Pirate Queen? And who in their right mind wouldn't want to read about her? This book rocks. If I were flying a flag, it would totally be a pink skull-and-crossbones (pink for a girl).
Susan
Didn't make it very far with this book - liked the premise, but the writing felt very much like someone trying way too hard to please the professor in Creative Writing 101.
Lizzie
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book! It's one of my favorites! It's one of those adventure/romance books! Just my kind of book!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vicktor Chief
Dec 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A philosophical and spiritual enlightenment, a joy to read simple but deep meaning poetry.
Beautiful illustrations that draw you in at another level.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Tried to read it through but ended up skimming it. Blurb completely fooled me.
Rebekah
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! I love the idea of the Pirate Coffee ship!
carrietracy
Sep 11, 2011 marked it as abandoned
The writing in this was too bad for me to continue. I returned it to the library with great relief.
K
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time with this one. For starters, the style was so bizarre, I found it very hard to get into. At times, there were so many commas inexplicably in a sentence, it was very difficult to understand. I wanted to like this - young girl takes over a troupe of actors and becomes a fearsome pirate? Battles another lady pirate? Takes after her awesome mom lady pirate? Yes!!! - but it was so strangely written to me, I struggled reading it, and ended up skimming large chunks (which I rarely do ...more
Uriah Jackson
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's not your usual pirate story. A young lady who doesn't fit in at the high society boarding school (that her father left her at) decides (after a cartoonish head bump) to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a pirate captain. Thing is, her mother was an actress who played a pirate. You might think this is a spoiler, but the book reveals this to both the reader and the character almost immediately. Despite this, she somehow inspires a team of washed up actors to actually become an effec ...more
Hannah Belyea
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After hitting her head and regaining lost memories while attending an academy for young ladies, Artemesia sets out to find the old crew of her pirate mother and sail for treasures untold - once she figures out how to turn a group of actors into legitimate bandits of the seas! Lee delivers a humorous and enjoyable adventure with a tinge of mystery and action that will have fans of the high seas chuckling for sure. Prepare the sails and head out on a journey of self-discovery...and hopefully mak ...more
ForeverDay
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5
I liked the swashbuckling pirate aspect of this, the whole vibe of the big sea and cutlasses, the banter and the bright colours.
However there was a bit too much suspension of disbelief for me, but all in all a nice rollicking read.

(Repost of a review because apparently my cover was the Spanish version?)
Emma Banbury
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book as a kid. Fantastical, tough, with a little mystery/uncertainty... like catnip for my 8 year old self. I never even realised it was a Tanith Lee book until now, but it makes sense. Lee has a really impressive track record.
Kaila
I liked it all right. I have the second one already and I'll definitely read that one. It seemed reminiscent of her other young adult books without doing anything too new. Except, of course, PIRATES!
KathNash
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn’t enjoy this book until about 2/3 of the way in. The character development could have been so much better. The book was finally exciting when the crew set out to find treasure.
Erik Rosengren
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lighter-reads
I liked it so much, the start and the finish, that I'm sad to see that there is a sequel since that means the story continues when I thought the ending was as good as it could be.
Claire Lillian
"One day when she was sixteen, Art remembered her mother."

Piratica is one of those special books that stick with you and are able to be reread over and over. I first found this series when I was 10 at a dollar store on a trip - for some reason I needed a new book to read and there aren't many good options at the dollar store. It was actually the second book in the series that I found, but regardless, I read it and fell in love.

This story takes place in a world just like ours in the 1800's, bu
cleo-queen-of-pirates
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
“And even if we went down, don’t fear that either. Those that the sea keeps, sleep among mermaids and pearls and sunken kingdoms. You wouldn’t mind that, would you, love?”

Piratica is based on the age old pirate tales of plunder and treasure seeking, but with a twist at the beginning I didn’t see coming.

Artemesia Blastside, 16, has been “trapped” in an academy after her mother: “Piratica” died. Her memories of living a pirates life under her mother’s pink Jolly Roger, never leave her and so s
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • The Princetta
  • This Marlowe
  • A Conspiracy of Truths
  • Pirate Curse (The Wave Walkers, #1)
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • Pirates!
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • To Catch a Pirate
  • Albion of the Wind - 風のアルビオン (Zero No Tsukaima, #2)
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer Manga, Vol. 3 (The Devil is a Part-Timer Manga, #3)
  • Armistice (The Amberlough Dossier, #2)
  • The Wreckers (High Seas Adventures, #1)
  • Young Warriors: Stories of Strength
  • A Perilous Power (A School for Sorcery, #2)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai

Piratica (3 books)
  • Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island (Piratica, #2)
  • Piratica III: The Family Sea (Piratica, #3)
“The kind of teacher who never learned anything herself. Or taught anything, except sarcasm or fear.” 3 likes