Start by marking “Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)

Murder With Puffins

(Meg Langslow #2)

Winner of the St. Martin's Malice Domestic Award in 1997 for her first work Murder With Peacocks, Donna Andrews brings back her zany characters and disastrous events.

In an attempt to get away from her family, Meg and her boyfriend go to a tiny island off the coast of Maine. What could have been a romantic getaway slowly turns into disaster.

Once there, they are marooned by
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published June 15th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder With Puffins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder With Puffins

Start your review of Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Murder with Puffins by Donna Andrews is a 2001 St. Martin’s Press publication.

This second book in this long running series has Meg, a newly minted amateur detective, investigating a murder on a small Maine island, where she and her boyfriend had hoped to enjoy a little alone time, only to find her entire family had arrived ahead of her. Now, due to a hurricane, they are marooned on the island with a murderer!

I’m still acclimating myself to this series, but so far, so good. This second installm
Linda
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge, e-books
Another good entry in the series, this time with the whole family migrating to an island off the Maine coast. Lots of fun as everyone is stuck on the island in the middle of a hurricane. I really enjoy the characters in this series and like the writing style as well. I was kept guessing as to whodunit too.
Lynn Spencer
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
As far as mysteries go, my tastes lean more toward police procedurals and thrillers rather than cozies. However, this series definitely works for me. The author is keenly observant to details of place and character in ways that will have the reader laughing out loud.
Clare O'Beara
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Meg, a working blacksmith, and her new boyfriend Michael head off for a romantic getaway at a family cottage on an island. As the weather worsens they discover that just about all the adult family members have come here as well to observe the nesting puffins. So little privacy and so much chaos, which is escalated by a murder.

As the boats are unable to put out to sea again, the killer is trapped on the island too, which gives Meg a chance to work out who killed the unfortunate person and why. T
Lisa Vegan
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoyed Murder with Peacocks & who like light humorous mysteries
Recommended to Lisa by: Sfdreams
2nd book in this mystery series. Funny and entertaining. My favorite part of this book is on page 59 (of the hardcover edition) where Meg Langslow, the main character in the series, voices her insistence on reading books in a series in proper order. My sentiments exactly!
Jonathan
In the second book in the Meg Langslow mystery series Meg sees herself stranded with her boyfriend, parents, aunt, brother, and neighbor on a secluded island in Maine during a hurricane with a murderer running around loose. Murder with Puffins was an enjoyable book.

I really like the MC, Meg, she's a smart character who doesn't do many things stupidly. She thinks problems and her actions through before doing them and she pieces together things that I'd never be able to do. I also absolutely love
Book Concierge
After the stress of organizing three family weddings in short succession, Meg Lanslow decides that a romantic getaway at an island off the coast of Maine with her hunky boyfriend, Michael, is just what they need. Aunt Phoebe is always telling family to “use the summer cottage anytime” and since the summer season is over, Monhegan should be very quiet and peaceful. But they arrive to find a house full of family, including Meg’s mother, father, Aunt Phoebe, Mrs Fenniman, brother Rob, and Michael’s ...more
Mary Ann
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Murder With Puffins Michael and Meg are trying to find some time alone to get to know each other and get closer. When they go to Aunt Phoebe's summer place on Monhegan Island in Maine, they have a rough crossing and then get to the cabin and find the whole family, including Spike. During a hurricane, searching for her father, they find the hated artist who has built a monstrosity and shoots at anyone who travels on the public path. While trying to figure out who did the deed they get closer and ...more
Joy
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Helen
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy cozy mtsyeries, birdwatching, saving the environment
This is another fun cozy mystery by Donna Andrews! I enjoyed the story even better than the first one in the series! An eccentric family, a mild romance, and lots of information about puffins, made the story more interesting.
M. R.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was still very much enjoyable, but it wasn't as good as the first one!
Andrea
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Langslow clan are back with plenty of mischief, mayhem and a murder thrown in for good measure! Donna Andrews knows how to tickle my funny-bone with her chapter titles and her quirky, charming characters. When all Meg wants is a romantic get-away with her boyfriend at the family cottage on Monhegan Island it isn't going to happen if the bird watchers, the residents and Meg's own family have anything to say about it. Meg's sleuthing abilities and her keen attention to detail are once again n ...more
Carrie
Feb 19, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a cute book. A standard "locked room" mystery, where in this case the locked room is an island off New England where Meg, her boyfriend, and her whole wacky family are stranded by storms.

I liked this book a lot better than the first in the series. The first was marred by Meg's friends and family constantly giving her "maid of honor" work to do. This book was a lot more of a standard, light, mystery.
Katie Fitzgerald
This second book of the series is every bit as good as the first. Alas, the only library I belong to that had this entire series on audio discontinued the series that provided them, so this might be my last time listening to one of these for a while. The narration is excellent, though, as is the characterization and the interesting setting of an island off the coast of Maine. I can't wait to find book three, in whatever format I can track it down!
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Entertaining, but our heroine the blacksmith still hasn't done any work.
Debbie
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Crazy family members always make a good story, and this family is just plain fun to spend time with.
Nicole
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Another winner in the Meg Langslow series. I love the narrator (Bernadette Dunne) - she always does a great job! This one had a nice little twist regarding Meg's mom! ;-)
Catherine
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cozy mystery that took a little longer to solve. Reminds me to stay home durning a hurricane.
Rachel N.
Meg Lanslow and her boyfriend Michael travel to the island of Monhegan off the Maine coast hoping to have a private getaway. Unfortunately Meg's parents, aunt and brother are already at the family cabin. A hurricane threatens the island and the ferry sops running stranding a lot of birders on the island. Then a local artist is found by Meg murdered in a tide pool and Meg is worried her father will be accused of the crime. I liked this book better than the first book in the series. Meg actually s ...more
Betsy Cornwell
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: left-coast-crime
Meg Langslow thinks she's going to Monehegan Island off the coast of Maine for a romantic get-away with the long-suffering, adorably handsome Michael. Instead she finds herself in the midst of a hurricane, smothered by family, and smack-dab in the middle of a baffling murder investigation. The word "puffin" appears a lot, which adds to the book's charm for people who like puffins, I guess.
Except for a few inaccuracies I can't really find anything wrong with this book. It's a light, funny, easy
Kathy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has been waiting for me to read it for quite awhile. It was an okay mystery, may have been better if I had read the first book, but I do not have it. Meg and her boyfriend travel to a family home in Maine, with the idea of some peace and quiet and maybe romance. Surprise! Her whole family seems to have had the same idea. And when a hurricane hits, and a murder occurs while it is going on, things get just a bit chaotic.
Pat
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Missed this one - I thought I had read all the books in the series. It was fun to read a story from the time period before Meg and Michael were married, and Rob was around more. Good reminder of why I got started with this series!
Muriel Farmer
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Very slow in the beginning to start the murder story. I think it was not until chapter 10 or 11 when the murder finally happens. I do, however, enjoy the book with some moments of humor. I was pleased with the ending. I liked the inclusion of the puffin chapter titles but some titles were a little exaggerated. I appreciated Donna Andrews's creativity and writing style.
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun series-will read more.
Alicia Jespersen(BehindThePicketFence)
Another quaint fun murder mystery! 2nd in the series and Meg and the gang get into just as much trouble in this book as they did in book 1. Lovely story!
Lillian Carl
I'll admit it---I'm coming very, very late to Andrews' Meg Langslow mystery series. Which
at least means I have lots of wonderful stories to look forward to, because Puffins is a
delightful read.

Meg and her boyfriend Michael go a small island off the coast of Maine, after the tourist
season is over, thinking they'll find some peace and quiet. But no---Meg's eccentric family
is there, too, and of course a murder is committed.

I often look askance at funny mysteries, because all too often the auth
Barb
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked the first in the Meg Langslow mystery series, Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews, which was very clever and won several awards. This one did not impress me and I found it a chore to continue reading. So much of it seemed implausible, for instance, the actions of the protagonist, Meg, who does not plan well and is extremely impulsive to the point of law breaking. Her fiancé does not seem to have a mind of his own, but goes along with any harebrained idea Meg cooks up. The ill-tempered ...more
Paula
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've read many of the books in this series, but I had never read this particular story. It's one of the earliest ones in the series, and I can honestly say I'm glad I never read it until now. It's not one of the better stories. Kind of slow-going, and repetitive with people constantly traipsing through the woods in Maine during a hurricane. And while there were many possible murderers in the mix, they are just mentioned once or twice and never show up again, so there didn't seem to be much of a ...more
Aya
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meg Langslow: 2
Not sure if it was the setting (stranded on an island during a hurricane) or second book blues, but this was not as good as the first book. Even though the author managed a plausible reason to pull together many characters from before, this one lacked the zany humor of the last book. Meg seems more moody and angsty in this one, which matched the overall dreary weather. The mystery story itself is not very focused, as Meg basically drags Michael all over the place pursuing one red
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
For some strange reason, this book just felt like it took forever to read. I'm not sure if it was the writing, the characters or the storyline. I had to make myself finish it. There were humorous moments along with silliness. I liked the first book in this series and had hoped that the second would follow that pattern but something just didn't "click" with me. I certainly will try book three to see if I will continue the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Play Book Tag: Murder with Puffins by Donna Andrews 3 stars 1 6 Feb 23, 2019 02:49PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #129 - Murder with Puffins 1 1 Jun 22, 2016 07:50AM
Meg Langslow Mysteries...Who Would You Cast For The Movie? 4 28 Aug 06, 2014 06:22AM

• Buried to the Brim (Hat Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Murder in the Storybook Cottage (Book Retreat Mysteries #6)
  • The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1)
  • The Diva Spices It Up (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #13)
  • Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Paws and Claws Mystery, #6)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer (Paws and Claws Mystery, #2)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Pumpkin Spice Peril (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #12)
  • The Scent of Murder (Jazz Ramsey, #1)
  • When the Grits Hit the Fan (Country Store Mysteries #3)
  • The Whispered Word (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #2)
  • The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4)
  • A Novel Murder (Secrets of the Castleton Manor Library, #1)
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #3)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
Donna Andrews was born in Yorktown, Virginia, the setting of Murder with Peacocks and Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos, and now lives and works in Reston, Virginia. When not writing fiction, Andrews is a self-confessed nerd, rarely found away from her computer, unless she's messing in the garden

Meg Langslow (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4)
  • We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow, #5)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)
  • The Penguin Who Knew Too Much (Meg Langslow, #8)
  • Cockatiels at Seven (Meg Langslow, #9)
  • Six Geese A-Slaying (Meg Langslow, #10)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)