Start by marking “Clifford's Halloween” as Want to Read:
Clifford's Halloween

Clifford's Halloween

(Clifford the Big Red Dog)

Clifford is the hit of the Halloween party when he arrives dressed as an enormous ghost.
Published October 1st 1986 by Cartwheel (first published October 1st 1966)

Guadalupe Sanchez
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clifford’s Halloween by Bridwell Norman
Genre: Animated, Reading level: K-3 grade Format: good
Comedy and humor

Clifford’s Halloween is a book about Emily Elizabeth and Clifford the big red dog. The book uses different holidays and illustrates how Clifford enjoys the holidays. Both Emily and Clifford enjoy Halloween and the book talks about the difficulty Emily has to decide what to dress Clifford as. Until finally Clifford decides he want to be a ghost and none of the children who went trick or
Heather Lincoln
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this book! Such a cute story about trick or treating adventures. I recommend this book to all ages! Such a classic book.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
I remember this book...ghosts of Halloween past reminded me of what it was like getting ready to show off your costume to your friends.
Eve Victor
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Clifford the big red dog was a character I loved throughout my entire childhood. I always dreamed of being able to buy a red dog that size and live the adventures I read in each and every book of the series. And this book was just as enjoyable. Halloween is a holiday that sometimes younger children cannot handle because sometimes things get a little scary rather than fun. However this book brings about the family fun often needed for this time of the year. I liked the pictures on the pages, whic ...more
Haley Heinkel
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Clifford the Big Red Dog books were my favorite as a child. With this series there are multiple books that can all be educational for children. There is Clifford's ABC, Birthday Party, At the Circus, Riddles, Pals and Manners. This series had great books that I could work in to my lesson plan for the day. This book Clifford's Halloween is very cute and explains what Halloween is about. This big red dog need a costume and cant figure out what he wants to be. When he does decided he picks a ghost. ...more
Elizabeth
This is another classic Clifford book that has such great illustrations that they help the text of the story tell the plot. The illustrations can help students that may not understand all of the words, or are unsure of the meaning of some of the costumes. You could do a picture walk with just the illustrations and the students would be able to write a great story off of them. At the end of the book it sets up a wonderful prediction writing prompt where it asks the reader what they think Clifford ...more
Loren Mallard
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Clifford's Halloween is a great addition to your Halloween bookshelf. Not a scary tale, one full of fun. If you would like to get your children in the mood for dressing up, this book is ideal. It is full of how much fun you can have on Halloween, especially if you have a Big Red Dog! Clifford's Halloween also discusses what Clifford does for all holidays but, Halloween is his and Emily Elizabeth's favorite!
Lauren Piattoni
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every Clifford book would be great to have in a young classroom, as each of them go through a great adventure with Emily Elizabeth and her giant dog Clifford. These books were always some of my favorites growing up and I would love to have many of them in my classroom.
Rosa Cline
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, halloween, kids, 2019
This is a classic original Clifford storybook. He and Emily Elizabeth are discussing what they should be for Halloween this holiday. They reminisce about last Halloween and the fun they had.
Jade Saleem
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays-seasons
This is an excellent book to read within the season of fall or around the Holiday Halloween. This book is excellent for building language. Recommendation for pre k and kindergarten students.
Jeff
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Mom and sisters
1st Read: October 1, 1976 (**** Rating)
Another childhood book that holds memories of a better time in the world.
Ariel Rudicel
We mostly looked at the illustrations and talked about the Indian interpretation, but the whole book is cute! Everyone loves Clifford.
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holidays
This is a great book to read around the Halloween season. Young students love Halloween so much that this book would be very entertaining to them.
Michelle  Cropper
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves Clifford books and enjoyed this one because of all the different costumes Clifford had.
A.
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Clifford is the dog of the house around here. There is no arguing that point. I love his "big turkey" he gets for Thanksgiving every year.
Jeffrey LeTempt
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My favorite Clifford book as a kid, who wouldn't want a big red dog dressed as a ghost to tricker treat with you.
Mohamed maadey
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Travis
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
a classic book that I read as a kid and then got to read to my kids.

Tough finding a Halloween costume for a dog the size of a school bus, but they do and Clifford then gets to go trick or treating.
Jelly-Bean
Oct 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
he dresses up as a ghost
Madison
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fall-holiday
This book shows Clifford on several holidays and encourage your readers to think of a good costume ideas.
Matthew Hocker
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
They say the best way to bake a turkey is in an oven.

I, for one, disagree.

Clifford's Halloween, a discussion on the monopolistic and entrenched holiday ecosystem that enforces social conditioning and code, leaves an impression of guilt that wrenches even the animals that take witness to the annual moral decimation. Clifford, who wishes only to serve his lord and master Emily Elizabeth, reluctantly also becomes subservient to the establishment rulers of the holiday holocaust.

This isn't to say
Brigitte
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Self-Selected Early Reading book: Clifford’s Halloween, By: Norman Bridwell
I love Clifford books, I enjoyed watching the shows and the books are just as good. They are similar to the shows, especially when Emily introduces herself and Clifford, I said it just like the shows. Clifford’s Halloween is a book that looks like the pictures are drawn out, witch I feel is cool and it goes with the book. Clifford’s Halloween is a pre-k book, the vocabulary is broad and easy to understand. It is a fun b
Meg McGregor
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very sweet Halloween story, featuring Clifford, the big Red Dog!

Thoughts of my own fond memories of Clifford, kept intertwining with my reading of the story, to the girls!

We all thought Clifford would be such a great dog to have!

The girls would like me to find as many Clifford books as I can; I told them there is a great place called the library to do just that!

(We have only been there about fifty times so far this year!) LOL
Dianna
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
My three-year-old saw this book on the back cover of another Clifford book and HAD to have it . . . so we got it (from the library), even though it's almost Christmas. He adores the idea of Clifford dressed up as a ghost. I liked how the beginning goes over all the different holidays: very educational for little ones!
Jillian
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now THIS is a blast from the past! I remember loving this book when I was a kid. So an extra star for pure nostalgia!

That said, the book has aged remarkably well. The costume ideas for Clifford are still pretty fun, and I actually kind of like that there's no real resolution (though a thought bubble from the dog himself would have been fun).
Bailie
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is super cute for children who understand the traditions and holidays. This is a book that can be used for seasonal as well as daily. Every one knows the famous big read dog, so adding him to a holiday or even bring children attention and awareness that it is celebrated globally.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I definitely read Clifford as a kid but I don't remember them too well. This one is simple, unfortunately there's an "Indian" costume in it, so not really appropriate by today's standards. I wonder if they've taken that out of new editions?
Ro Ja
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute book. I have always been a fan of Clifford the Big Red Dog! I was excited when my son grabbed this from the library shelf. He loved the craziness of such a large dog! And I loved seeing the joy it brought to him as he read it over and over for the next few weeks! :)
Cindy
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Copyright 1966 - has Clifford been around THAT long? My copy is from 1986. Scholastic.

This was a favorite from my oldest to youngest kids. Clifford the big red dog tries to decide what he wants to be for Halloween. He & Emily Elizabeth reminisce about the last Halloween. My kids loved it!
Steve Holden
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Clifford series has long been a favorite of mine. I've always loved dogs, and the big red one has always made me laugh and feel sentimental. In his Halloween themed book, he arrives dressed as a big ghost. Oh, Clifford! Fun book for the holiday!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat
  • Arthur's Halloween
  • When I Get Bigger
  • The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow: A Book About Color
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow
  • Just Me in the Tub (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders (Magic School Bus)
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
  • Franklin's Halloween
  • The Search For The Missing Bones (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #2)
Norman Bridwell was an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He lived on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he wrote an average of two books a year.

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy