Start by marking “The Memory Palace” as Want to Read:
The Memory Palace

The Memory Palace

The rooms in The Memory Palace are filled with holy relics, profane agonies, memories that are revelations, and windows to wonders . . . A significant poetry collection by JoSelle Vanderhooft, dealing with the raw themes of youth, pain, the Catholic faith, and the challenges of growing up gay.

Structured around the Renaissance mnemonic device of a building with rooms popula
Published January 1st 2009 by Curiosities

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Palace

Start your review of The Memory Palace
Paul Genesse
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Bravest Woman I Know

I just read the poetry memoir of the bravest woman I know. The book is The Memory Palace, by JoSelle Vanderhooft. I’ve known JoSelle for a few years now and consider her a friend, as well as an incredibly gifted writer and poet. She’s had much critical acclaim and was recently nominated for a Stoker award.

She’s the real deal. Have no doubt.

The Memory Palace is so strong that it would have blown me away regardless if I knew the author or not, and was worth every penny of t
Jennifer Jones
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very well written. I grew up with Joselle, and she was also one of my closest friends when we were little kids. I am honored to be a part of the book. It was a real treat to be taken back to an innocent (and some not so innocent) time. As growing up with her, I knew exactly what she was going through and some of who she was talking about as I went through the same things as she did. We kinda parted ways after high school, but its great being friends with her through social media to touch base wi ...more
Catherine
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
A poetry memoir is a tricky thing to create, in part because many prose readers will make assumptions about accessibility. And in this instance, that is precisely the wrong thing to assume. This is a very accessible, often moving work, with some lovely imagery. Recommended, especially for a younger LGBTQ audience wrestling with issues around mental illness and belonging, as well as those who care about them.
Shira Lipkin
Emily
Jun 19, 2015
Chaoticreader
Apr 28, 2016
A dramaturg and something of a lapsed playwright, Vanderhooft works as a freelance journalist, poet and fiction writer. Her work has appeared or will soon appear in print and online in such venues as Aofie’s Kiss, Byzarium, Cabinet des Fées, Jabberwocky, Not One of Us, MYTHIC, Mythic Delirium, Reflections Edge, Star*Line and several others.

To date, she has published seven poetry books: 10,000 Seve