Start by marking “Wyrmhole (Jack Stein Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Wyrmhole (Jack Stein Series #1)

Wyrmhole

(Jack Stein Series #1)

Jack Stein lives and works in the crowded, semi-organic city known as the Locality. He's hired by the Outreach Mining Company to investigate the mysterious disappearance of one of its mining crews on an uncolonized planet. But his psychic dreams are full of strange mystical symbols and red herrings, making Jack wonder if Outreach truly wants the miners found. And the deepe ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by Roc (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wyrmhole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyrmhole

Kae Cheatham
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: spec-fiction
SF Mystery
Interesting concept of a psychic investigator in Future Earth. Good characterization. The story seemed to fall apart near the end: characters appeared that didn’t seem necessary and I’m not convinced of the logic presented for solving the case. Protagonist Jack seemed a bit dense about some of the mid-book clues. The title also gave away a good part of the mystery.
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a promising set-up, a psychic detective in a future Earth. The psychic PI, though, was somewhat soft: he certainly worked with his intuitions, but after the first few, I was thinking, "Um, buddy, shouldn't you be working some more typical investigating as well?" Also, he's... well, a bit dense.

The mystery is this: some miners on a far-flung asteroid have gone missing, and the big corporation who hired him seems a tad shifty. A clerk working for the company gives the detective some infor
Jim
Jun 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Jack Stein, Psychic Investigator. It's a great hook, and Jay Caselberg brings in some wonderful ideas over the course of his debut novel Wyrmhole.

Stein is hired to investigate the disappearance of a miner. He's also hired to learn more about a lost handipad (PDA) that comes into his possession. Naturally, the cases are related, leading him into a web of business deals and betrayals.

I wanted this book to be more than it was. I never felt all that connected to the protagonist, or to any of the cha
Gary O'Brien
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those that like science fiction or mysteries
Wyrmhole is a mystery set in an future that is much different than any I have ever imagined.

It is a story about a P.I. (Psychic Investigator)that lives in a city that is constantly rebuilding itself as it travels across the land.

He has a very difficult case that may be beyond his abilities.

The characters have real depth and seem to be real people.

I recommend this book to anyone that likes mysteries or science fiction (or both).
David
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maybe a bit less than 4 stars. Private Detective story - multiple clients, various suspects, thugs, woman trying to seduce him to sidetrack his investigation, corporate mischief, wheels within wheels, etc. Interesting future setting. Not what you'd call a hard-boiled PI. The PI is a "psychic investigator" - but that's essentially intuition, "luck" and some dreams which have clues if you can figure out what they mean. So it didn't really incite my aversion to "psychic powers" in SF.
Brett Bydairk
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi
Jake Stein is a psychic detective, and not a good one. He gets a case, then a related one, and stumbles around finding things out, getting beat up and finally figuring things out with much help from a precocious young girl.
There are clues the reader has put together, but not Jake; I can't tell if it's supposed to be that way, so I guess it is, to show us just how bad he is.
Mildly entertaining.
Chip
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
First read this and its sequel some years ago. Just saw them and two others in the series available in a $9.99 omnibus kindle edition, which I bought. Upon the re-read, time apparently has been kind to my memory of Wyrmhole. It was ok, but not great. Both Richard K. Morgan and Peter Hamilton have done the science fiction detective story far better.
Elissa
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2010
Very interesting concept of a futuristic world. I am not sure how much I believed in the main character. At times he seemed dense and wimpy. The story also was a bit choppy or disjointed in areas. The ending was pretty anti-climatic. I did however was really intrigued by the character of Billie. I wouldn't mind knowing more of her story.
Tasula
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I gave this book only 3 stars because I didn't think the writing style was enthralling. I DID think the idea of a city that ages and renews itself was very interesting, and some of the characters in this book were very well written.
Patricia
Aug 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5 stars. Good read. Interesting and feasible concepts.
Karenb
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ocls, sci-fi
GOod for a beach read. However, upon writing this review a month later I cannot recall how it ended. That says a lot.
Mikec2012
Oct 10, 2012
M Lewis Hansen
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jay Caselberg is an Australian author based in Europe. He has lived and worked in multiple countries around the world, at last count, around 70. He thinks of himself primarily as a short fiction writer and poet who also sometimes writes novels. His works span science fiction, fantasy, horror, literary and combinations of all of them.

Pen Names: James A. Hartley.

Jack Stein Series (4 books)
  • Metal Sky (Jack Stein Series #2)
  • The Star Tablet (Jack Stein Series #3)
  • Wall of Mirrors (Jack Stein Series #4)