Start by marking “Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process” as Want to Read:

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  2,172 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This is the first text to come along in many years that makes psychoanalytic personality theory and its implications for practice accessible to beginning practitioners. The last book of its kind, which was published more than 20 years ago, predated the development of such significant concepts as borderline syndromes, narcissistic pathology, dissociative disorders and self- ...more
Published April 15th 1994 by The Guilford Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Psychoanalytic Diagnosis, please sign up.
Alex Katz This book is mostly for teachers, counsellors, therapists.
I do not think that this book will be helpful for the common people.
This book is pretty…more
This book is mostly for teachers, counsellors, therapists.
I do not think that this book will be helpful for the common people.
This book is pretty complexed for a regular reader, more specific and more for the professionals to uderstand the different types of personalities rather than to regular readers.
This is my personal opinoin.(less)

Elena
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to learn more about bipolar as I have a friend with this diagnosis. This book was recommended to me by another friend and I was glad I could get my hands on it.
Its written in professional language and sometimes it was hard to understand some things, because I'm not a doctor and psychology is just something of an interest of mine.
But it answered all my questions. It is a very interesting reading, but be prepared to what you might find out, the author just puts the info out there
Christian Buckley
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I may not agree with many aspects of this book, I do recognize that individuals lead with certain personality traits -- and understanding your own individual traits, and learning to recognize the traits of others, is the beginning of personal connection and communication. Good leaders are able to recognize and communicate with each personality trait.
Melanie Kirdasi
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had ordered this book to write a paper for a class but the book never arrived, luckily I came across the book several months later in the school library. Though it appears studious it is not a dry read. It is a thoughtful and reflective book that shows insight into the patient counselor relationship in a very humanistic way. The disorders that are covered in the book are of the more well known categories that a therapist is likely to encounter with patients but the authors understanding of the ...more
Fulya TEZEL
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nancy McWilliams'ın Psikanalitik Tanı adlı kitabı özetle bir kitap değil, bir okul. Kişilik yapısı sınıflandırmasında psikanalitik yaklaşıma dair müthiş bir giriş düzey kitabı. Okuyucuyu teorik bilgiye boğmadan, yılların deneyiminin içinden süzülmüş ayırıcı tanıya yönelik ipuçlarıyla dolu, bir psikoterapistin her danışanına özgü benimsemesi gereken doğru teknik duruşu net bir şekilde anlatan başucu kitaplarından. Ayrıca türkçe baskısının son derece iyi bir çeviri olduğunu söyleyebilirim ve çevir ...more
Sydney
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't nessecarily agree with everything in this book and I often think that this form of diagnosis is outdated. However, McWilliams is humble, considerate of complexities and nuance, intuitive and insightful in her writing. Admittedly, she writes from her own experience, both personally and with clients. I found her clinical insights and narratives helpful and I loved the chapter that broke down the psychological defenses. I've always loved Anna Freud and McWilliams interpretations really brin ...more
Jajabo
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A much deeper understanding of diagnostics

This book simply doesn't get outdated. I've read it years ago, and have been consulting it occasionally. Dr. McWilliams fluently integrates three major views in classic and contemporary psychodynamic thinking, while explaining diagnostics with such an ease. Her examples and comments are delightful. A practical, intelligent and intuitive book to accompany any clinician who thinks beyond the DSM.
Anton
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: practical
одна из причин, по которой я таки решился обратиться к психоаналитику
Ignatius Vonnegut
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant writing. Meat for the skeleton!
Υπάτιος Βαρελάς
Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο, αυστηρά για θεραπευτές και γνώστες ή σπουδαστές κλινικής ψυχολογίας και ψυχανάλυσης. Η δεύτερη αυτή έκδοση είναι αναθεωρημένη και περιέχει πολλά σύγχρονα στοιχεία. Σε κάποια σημεία θα ήθελα καλύτερη μετάφραση και κάποιοι όροι δεν έχουν αποδοθεί άριστα στην ελληνική γλώσσα, όμως αυτό δεν μειώνει την αξία του συγγράματος. Μπορεί κάποιος να διαφωνεί με κάποιες απόψεις της McWilliams, όπως κι εγώ, καθώς και με κάποιες αναφορές της στο Freud που πλέον έχουν ανατραπεί από τα επιστημ ...more
Jon Frederickson
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In an era devoted to phenomenological diagnosis (listing observable symptoms), how refreshing it is to find a book like this which helps to explain what actually causes those symptoms so you know what to treat! A list of symptoms tells us what the problem is but not what causes those symptoms, what we actually have to treat in psychotherapy. McWilliams does a wonderful job helping the reader understand the patterns of human behavior that generate different symptom pictures. Further, she shows ho ...more
Patricia
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in psychology
Recommended to Patricia by: Tony the psychoanalytical god
his is a must have primer for all who practice psychotherapy, counseling, etc. It was written to be such.

Each and every Axis II diagnosis is analyzed from the simply neurotic to the full blown personality disorder. and the good news is that she tells you what to do about it; how to approach each presentation, how to help each presentation.

so read it and find yourself, cringe, move on and read about your clients in a really refreshing and intelligent (not unreadable intellectual) format.

Nancy Mc
Jessica
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful and clear picture of modern day psychoanalytic and psychodynamic approaches to understanding and treating the individual! McWilliam's conceptualization of different personality organizations (e.g., Obsessive-compulsive, depressive, anti-social, etc.) demonstrates a non pathological way of understanding how individuals operate in the world, as well as how these personality organizations can become pathological when their defining characteristics move too far along the spectrum to ...more
David
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: psychologists
Shelves: psychology
Nancy McWilliams does a wonderful job of filling in the psychopathological gaps left in the DSM with psychodynamic theory. She explains the rich history of psychodynamic theory as well as the development of the disorders listed in the DSM. Her writing style is erudite yet down to earth. She comes across as having a delightful sense of humor which is no small task in a book covering this subject matter. I would highly recommend that all students of psychopathology read this book in addition of th ...more
Sarah Evan
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has integrated my first year or so of psychology classes (especially theories of personality, abnormal psychology and developmental theory) with the therapeutic lessons and practice I have had. IT IS SO HELPFUL in bringing all these topics together to apply to therapeutic practice. I can't wait to read more of her work!
Brooke
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
If I must continuously read psychoanalytic theory for my licensing exam, than McWilliams is the author of choice. Her words flow effortlessly and her passion for her work is most palpable. I groan at some of the texts I've been referred to during my PsyD, however, this is one to which I frequently return to with great pleasure.
Filipa
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Um livro bem estruturado e sistematizado, sobre o diagnóstico psicanalítico (li a versão portuguesa da Climepsi). A experiência e a sensibilidade terapêutica da autora são notórias e ajudam-nos a desenvolver um pouco mais a empatia em relação às diversas personalidades existentes no nosso quotidiano.
Sara
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best and most referred to explanation of personality structure I own (and I own a many). Clinically, it needs to be used as a supplement to more involved material but the case studies and personal anecdotes included in the book are quite helpful in illustrating concepts found elsewhere.
Kaylie
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a very readable, accessible, and interesting text. However, without having a psychodynamic orientation, a lot of small things were grating or alarming. Good dimensional conceptualization of PDs.
David
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Without a doubt one of the best books on psychoanalytic theory. Nancy McWilliams is the writer that Freud wishes he was. Yes, I said it. Not only does she understand the analytic process, she makes sure the reader does as well.
Bob
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Read this once years ago and loved it. Really helped me get a sense of what motivates some people and what certain behaviors are driven by. Was re-reading it for a while, but haven't picked it up lately. So I'm putting it on abandoned, for the second reading.
Susan
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's not every day that you find a writer like McWilliams, who can be so informative (without sacrificing complexity) and readable at the same time. I have never gone wrong with any of her books and this is no exception.
Jonathan Ridenour
May 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I LOVE this book. It's a must read for anyone in psychology who isn't satisfied with the DSM-IV. It goes through the development of diagnosis and its implications for clinical work. Read all of McWilliams books, including PDM.
Krystal
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Nancy McWilliams is a wonderful writer. She writes in a way that makes psychoanalytic theory accessible to people at all levels of knowledge. She is very clear in using cases to illustrate her points, which, unlike your usual textbook, makes it fun to read.
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Nancy McWilliams is so accessible and so clear in her presentation of material; this book is sure to impact how I practice, now and throughout my career.
Paul
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is the writing clear (which is a feat given the complexity of the content), but it's actually a good read.
Doug Diegert
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to imagine a textbook on psychoanalysis that reads like a bestselling novel but there it is. I could not put it down. I hope her other books are as good.
Annalisa
May 11, 2009 is currently reading it
It is a very interesting book, easy to read despite the complexity of the subject. It is intended for beginners therapists to support their diagnostic skills. Very good!
Angella
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a gods-send for my clinical work! She really helps explain a non-pathological way at looking at personality structure.
Nathan
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Amazing
Rod White
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew! Intricate read for the budding therapist! I feel like I need to start over immediately! Fascinating and thorough.
  • Freud and Beyond: A History of Modern Psychoanalytic Thought
  • Attachment in Psychotherapy
  • Psychodynamic Psychiatry in Clinical Practice
  • Playing and Reality
  • On Being a Therapist
  • Every Day Gets a Little Closer: A Twice-Told Therapy
  • Schopenhauer's Porcupines: Intimacy And Its Dilemmas: Five Stories Of Psychotherapy
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • An Elementary Textbook of Psychoanalysis
  • Between Therapist and Client: The New Relationship
  • Psychiatric Interviewing: the Art of Understanding A Practical Guide for Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Nurses, and Other Mental Health Professionals
  • The Unsayable: The Hidden Language of Trauma
  • Inside Out and Outside in: Psychodynamic Clinical Theory and Practice in Contemporary Multicultural Contexts
  • Neurotic Styles
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Healing Trauma: Attachment, Mind, Body and Brain
  • Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • An American Childhood
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Making Toast
  • Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
    $11.99 $2.99
“Jedna z moich maniakalnych pacjentek opisała siebie jako wirujący bączek. Zdawała sobie sprawę z własnej potrzeby nieustannego poruszania się - bycie w ruchu broniło ją przed odczuwaniem czegoś bolesnego. Jednostki maniakalne obawiają się przywiązania, ponieważ boją się nieznośnego bólu w razie utraty bliskiej osoby. Na kontinuum osobowości od psychotycznej do neurotycznej zaburzenie maniakalne
plasuje się raczej w obszarze borderline i psychotycznym ze względu na zachodzące w nim stosunkowo prymitywne procesy. W konsekwencji wielu osobom w manii, hipomanii i cyklotymii grozi subiektywne odczucie dezintegracji Ja, przez psychologów nazywane fragmentacją Ja. Osoby w manii boją się po prostu tego, że jeśli się zatrzymają, rozpadną się na kawałki.”
1 likes
“Сострадательное и уважительное принятие других возможно в той степени, в которой у человека открыт доступ к пониманию и принятию динамики собственной личности.” 0 likes