Start by marking “Sub-Mariner: The Depths” as Want to Read:
Sub-Mariner: The Depths

Sub-Mariner: The Depths

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The latest offering from the red-hot Marvel Knights line offers a searing vision of Namor, the Sub-Mariner as you've never seen, brought to you by Peter Milligan (X-Force) and Esad Ribic (Silver Surfer: Requiem)! Atlantis. Throughout the ages, a few men have wondered if this fabulous place actually exists. Fewer have imagined that the city is protected by a wild and vengef ...more
Published June 24th 2009 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sub-Mariner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sub-Mariner

Anne
Depressing and sloooow.
Or maybe I should say deep-pressing? *hyuck, hyuck*
Whatever, the payoff was not worth it. I kept thinking something amazing was going to happen at the end, but no.
Namor doesn't even say anything! Ever! He's not even an on-page character in this thing until the last issue, and even then...bah!

description

However, the art is beyond fantastic.
It really is! It set the mood for this spooky underwater horror story. And that's really what this is, a horror story. It's not a traditional comic
Sam Quixote
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
A professional myth buster, Professor Stein, sets out to prove Atlantis is nothing but a legend, but as he takes a crew down into the black water in the submarine Plato, he discovers the fate of those from the previous expedition and their doomed Captain Marlowe. As things start to go wrong, the crew being to whisper the name of Namor, the prince and vicious protector of Atlantis, whom they say is out to protect the truth about his city at all costs…

Peter Milligan writes a very, very dark horror
Shadowdenizen
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-marvel
Wow! A SubMariner book that doesn't feature the title character. You wouldn't think that would work....

But it totally does!

A slow pot-burner of a book, this really captures the claustrophobia and isolaton of the undersea experience, coupled with that lurking fear of the unknown

A welcome change from the SuperHero slugfests we typically see!
Blair
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Did I just read a Sub-Mariner comic? Do not construe that statement as a denouncement of this truly beautiful addition to the Namor pantheon. I am merely suggesting that if a reader is looking for a "Namor vs. Fantastic Four" style story than do not waste your time on "The Depths".

If, instead, you wish to read a perfectly executed story with epic art to accompany it; than by all means pick it up.

The story is set in the Cold War age just before the introduction of the Sub-Mariner to Marvel Univer
Sesana
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I kind of like Namor. Sure, he's a terrible person, but he can be fun to read about, at times. This is not that Namor. This is Namor as primal boogeyman. Sort of a new take on the character, for me at least. Milligan is trying for a sort of survival horror feel here, and there are times that he succeeds. There are some quality jump scares, and some really creepy imagery. But the story is kind of weak, a little drawn out and slow, and the ending was pretty meh. Still, a cool idea.
John Wiswell
Jun 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is easily one of the more interesting takes on the superhero world in recent years. Set before Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four made that fictional world believe in the impossible, “The Depths” follows a professional skeptic who seeks to debunk the myth of Namor and Atlantis. The story mostly takes place on the submarine voyage, not at the destination, leaving the characters trapped with their superstitions and doubts in total blackness. While we know Namor will some day arise from the ocea ...more
Alvinenator
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The brilliant thing about the comic I think is the villainy of Stein and how Namor saves him despite his misdeeds so he can spread his lies on the surface, much to Namor's advantage. A convincing portrait of a diehard rationalist who hangs on to the edge of disbelief through self-delusion.
Oscar Torrado
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recomendados, comics
Honestamente esperaba encontrarme con otra aventura más de Namor mientras se enfrentaba a los terrestres quienes, a su vez, planeaban descubrir a Atlantis, pero la sorpresa (para bien) fue mayor cuando a medida que iba avanzando con la lectura no me encontré con un cómic de Namor, o x superhéroe, sino sobre la condición humana cuando se enfrentan al encierro y el desespero.

En Namor: En las profundidades, Peter Milligan escribe una historia con sabor a película clásica, muchas de las situaciones
Twan
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Got this given to me as a gift due to me harping on about Esad Ribic's artwork in another comic I'd read (Silver Surfer: Requiem) and I knew absolutely zero about Namor or Sub-Mariner. Still don't know loads about him, need to wikipedia his arse but I do know that again, Ribic does a brilliant job on the art front. Props to Milligan too, for making a Marvel comic feel like a 70's/80's horror film and not going down the familiar capes and cowl route.
Sonic
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
To be honest this was mostly a very slow, over-wrought build-up, but man, the art is Gorgeous!!
And the perspective on this classic character was wonderfully fresh, so, ...
4 stars it is.
Noah Appelbaum
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting when I grabbed a Sub-Mariner title out of the used trade bin at my comic shop, but really cool anyway!

A good slow-burn, atmospheric horror book. And, as someone who's not typically about that horror life, I really enjoyed it. Great art, concise but not lacking in detail, feels like that one episode of Firefly. Not my absolute favorite thing I've ever read, but it's good.
Bill Cruise
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
As others have said, the artwork in this book is great, but the story is not so good. It's five issues of build-up with no payoff at the end. It really could have been told in one issue.
Feather Mista
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del terror tibio y de los dibujos espectaculares.
Recommended to Feather by: Sus autores.
A ver, hace rato que me autoproclamo seguidor de Peter Milligan pero estoy lejos de ser un fan incondicional, mis reviews de su horrible etapa en X-Men así lo prueban (después agrego los links a colores), y alguna que otra obra menor de él tampoco me convenció demasiado. A nivel guion quizás esta no esté entre las mejores. A nivel vuelo-fumanchola en el que tanto brilla Milligan, tampoco. A nivel psicológico, repunta un poco, pero sigue sin alcanzar niveles como los de Human Target. ¿En qué nive ...more
Ben
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This one really surprised me.

I picked it up pretty much at random, as I was curious to read something about Namor, the Sub-Mariner, and this was the only volume in the bookshop at the time which was not a collected edition of the old Golden Age comics, which quite frankly... do not interest me. This clearly had much glossier and evocative artwork, and it seemed as if the story was written with the more modern and sophisticated audience in mind.

Now all this was true, so in once sense I got exactl
Erik
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Milligan has become one of this fan’s latest favorites, even though he has been around for nearly two decades. His eerie, paranoia-tinged tale recalls Frank Herbert’s early short story classic “Under Pressure” combined with elements from the X-Files and the original Alien. What makes it a near brilliant piece of mainstream comic book writing and art is just how little the titular character is shown. That is, Namor’s just-out-of-reach looming has that haunting, ominous feel reminiscent of Sauron ...more
Frank
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Marvel Knights ohhhh Marvel Knights, sometimes you are a hit, most of the time you are a miss. This one I would categorize as a bunt. Peter Milligan & Ribic do a great job making a atmospheric & tense submarine, deep sea tale. I am a sucker for Submarine (the boat) stories, but I found myself just wanting more Submariner then sub action with this story. They try to build submariner up as some scary Jaws/Godzilla type creature, something to fear in these depths, yet the problem is, Submar ...more
Ashley Kempkes
Jul 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Coimic book fans
This was a good book. I hope my rating will not cause to to avoid or not read this book. But, when I picked it up, I was expecting the Sub-Mariner to be the main character. Not only show up in only a few pages. You find out nothing new about the Sub-Mariner (except that he is more deadly then I previously imagined). Therefore, to me, the book was a dissipointment. BUT--the art was AMAZING and the story line as well. It is deffinitally worth a read--just don't expect to get much Sub-Mariner in th ...more
Nik Havert
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This trade paperback collects the five-issue mini-series and is a good read, but don't expect much Sub-Mariner. He's relegated to being a bit like the xenomorph in "Alien." He lurks in the murky depths and behind corners for most of it. It is a good story of men in the deep sea and how the depths and never-ending darkness affects the minds of these men. Namor the Sub-Mariner is spoken of as a legend, a bogey man, and a god. The art is great and Peter Milligan is one of the most under-appreciated ...more
Sophie
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This was excellent. A story of a scientist who tries to prove that neither Atlantis nor Namor exist. The way this comic manages to portray the deep sea expedition and manages to capture the mood of the crew and the scientist - the feeling of being closed in, not knowing what's real and what's not, the growing suspicion and tension - is really impressive. Very well done and a great example what can be done with (superhero) myths.
John
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you expect a slam-bang Namor adventure here, you've come to the wrong place. Instead, this book is an atmosphere piece, pure and simple. Suspense, fear and paranoia build nicely, and Namor himself is barely seen. In fact, he is more of an idea, or presence here instead of a character. The captivating story is aided by superb art that perfectly conveys mystery and the unknown. Excellent stuff.
Strawberry
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This was really not what I had expected, for Namor was hardly in this comic, but it turned out to be a great story.
In the 1950s scientist Randolph Stein wants to finally prove that Atlantis does not exist. Trapped in a submarine with a crew of supersticious "deep-men" Stein starts seeing things in the water and slowly the borderline between truth and imagination is erased.
Steve Cooper
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best story I've seen Ribic illustrate. The conceit of showing Namor so little over a 5-issue Sub-Mariner stretch can only have worked with art this interesting. When we do finally see the atlantean prince in full horror-show monster effect, we realise how gripping and resonant a character he can be. And we think, wow, that Sue Richards must have neen a real animal!
Nicolas Ronvel
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sold
Un très bon graphics novel, qui appartient au monde Marvel de façon vraiment très légère. Le "mythe" Namor est esquissé, et de quelle manière ! Les planches sont magnifiques. Un grand format qui vaut le coup, et qui plaira à tous, même aux allergiques du spandex.
Dirk
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Years ago I heard someone pitch taking The Depth's kind of pulp inspired legendary beast tact with the Black Panther, it sounded great then and it works so well here that it's almost a disappointment that it will likely never be adapted for another medium.
Anita
Jul 15, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm picky when it comes to graphic novels - I need the art AND the writing to be compelling, or else I lose interest fast. This met all my needs: gorgeous colors and great illustration, and a creepy-cool story. I might have chosen to end it differently, but all-in-all, an enjoyable read.
Kerry
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the story, but I wasn't overly impressed by the art. I liked that it was very realistic, but it was really washed out and I found that a little annoying, but it's overall effect worked for the story.
Jin
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A standout story. Dark and psychologically suspenseful."
Christian Smith
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"with blackness all around, the depths will scare you down to the depths of your soul."
Tani
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: male-author, 2014, comics
Creepy and atmospheric, but really hard to feel any true sympathy for the main character, Stein.
Jason
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
The Sub-Mariner as deep sea lore. Told from the point of view of a skeptic. Huh. It works pretty well, actually. Cool art, too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Husbands
  • Marathon
  • Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1
  • Pigeons From Hell
  • Secrets of the Fire Sea (Jackelian, #4)
  • Iron Man Noir
  • Over the Wall
19445
Peter Milligan is a British writer, best known for his work on X-Force / X-Statix, the X-Men, & the Vertigo series Human Target. He is also a scriptwriter.

He has been writing comics for some time and he has somewhat of a reputation for writing material that is highly outlandish, bizarre and/or absurd.

His highest profile projects to date include a run on X-Men, and his X-Force revamp that relau
More about Peter Milligan...