Start by marking “The Yale Book of Quotations” as Want to Read:
The Yale Book of Quotations

The Yale Book of Quotations

This reader-friendly volume contains more than 12,000 famous quotations, arranged alphabetically by author. It is unique in its focus on American quotations and its inclusion of items not only from literary and historical sources but also from popular culture, sports, computers, science, politics, law, and the social sciences. Anonymously authored items appear in sections

Published October 30th 2006 by Yale University Press (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Yale Book of Quotations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yale Book of Quotations

Start your review of The Yale Book of Quotations
Bruce
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: language
"Keep calm and carry on" is one quote missing from this compendium. Charles Schulz's bastardization of Theodore Roosevelt, "Walk softly and carry a beagle," is another. Believe me. I looked. And while Teddy's quote is rightly incorporated, how can an editor claim to meaningfully collect Martin Luther King, Jr.'s bon mot wisdom without including, "Never drive a man so low he has to hate you?" I cherish that one, and plan to use it as an epigrammatic preface to some larger work some day.

We do get,
Daniel Swanson
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
probably one of the best investments i have ever made. thousands of quotes from many different people throughout all of history. I am currently going front to back. i'm in the mid e's. a great coffee table book and i recommend marking the ones you like with a pen. ...more
Aaron Gertler
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wrote a substantial review of this book for the Yale Daily News Magazine.

Brief summary:

This is an enormous book with something interesting on every page. I mean, it's literally an attempt to take the 10,000 most interesting things ever spoken or written and put them into a single book. And it is a surprisingly successful attempt: Fred Shapiro is a fantastic editor.

You shouldn't attempt to read this in one setting, or even two, but you should read the preview text. If you like the first few pa
Brenda Goheen
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
They don't have the best quotations, and I wonder why they included many that they did, also the layout is not the best. Prefer quotations books laid out with topics, etc.

Most quotations are unusable, for example movie titles etc. Indeed the book moves away from the staples of English literature and into american pop culture. Not necessarily a good move.
Steve
Jul 25, 2016
Shawn E
Dec 13, 2018
Awantka Sharma
rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2019