Start by marking “Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14)” as Want to Read:
Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14)

Fall of a Philanderer

(Daisy Dalrymple #14)

In the summer of 1924, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher is off on a holiday by the sea with her step-daughter Belinda, Belinda's chum Deva, and Daisy's husband, Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard. Daisy is anticipating a relaxing, nondramatic holiday-but Daisy doesn't have that kind of luck. It seems that a low-rent Don Juan has been busily sed ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fall of a Philanderer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall of a Philanderer

Start your review of Fall of a Philanderer (Daisy Dalrymple, #14)
Jim
Another interesting murder that Daisy finds herself involved with while on vacation. This time she's at a seaside inn & poor Alec's vacation is mostly work, solving the mystery since he's there. As usual, the characters were interesting as was the twisty mystery. Best of all were the glimpses into life at the time.

Just a century ago many still didn't have electric, running water, cars, or many of the things we take for granted. There's a glimpse of a farm run by a tyrant who could beat his wife
Olga Godim
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I’m a fan of this cozy mystery series and its protagonist, Daisy, a plucky young journalist and a daughter of a viscount in England of 1924. I’ve read almost all the novels of the series and I can say: this is one of the best. In this story, Daisy is on vacation in Devon. For the first (and only, I think) time in the series, she doesn’t discover a dead body; her husband Alec Fletcher, the Detective Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard, does by accident when he joins her for a short holiday.
Although
Karen ⊰✿
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you get to book 14 of a series, you sure know what to expect! Daisy is great for an easy cozy mystery read and in this instalment it is Alec that gets more of the focus. We get to follow the mystery more closely through his eyes while Daisy takes a slight backseat as she rests through the first part of her pregnancy.
Karen Potts
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This adventure of Daisy & Alec really pleased me. The characters were varied & interesting individuals whose interactions made an entertaining & hard to solve mystery story with a hugely satisfying ending. The bad guys get their comeuppance & the good ones have their reward. ...more
Pamela
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this latest episode in the series, Daisy is on holiday in Devon with her stepdaughter Bel and Bel's friend Deva. She meets some of the locals, including the landlord of the local pub, George Enderby, who has a reputation as a bit of a lothario. After a week, her husband Alec aka Detective Chief Inspector Fletcher, arrives to join them hoping for some peaceful family time but before long he stumbles on a body at the foot of the cliff and is dragged into an investigation.

3.5 stars really, but r
Kaitlyn Dunnett
I quite enjoyed this one, and particularly liked the way the author worked out a satisfying ending. An added delight came from the snippets (just the right length to set the scene without turning into a travelogue)of Daisy (and to a lesser degree, Alec) walking on the cliffs and through the countryside and setting out to sea as a passenger in a lifeboat. Talk about pulling the reader into the scene!
Lbaker
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is great, very interesting reading about England 1920's. These are light books, but are neither silly nor shallow.

This is book 14 in the series, Daisy is married to Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher and enjoying married life and being a step-mother.

Lori McD
A bit better than the last Daisy D book, if only because there aren't quite so many characters, so there's more depth to each character and more story. This book takes place just a month after the previous book (which was to be Lucy's June wedding), and Daisy has her step-daughter Belinda and Belinda's friend, Deva, with her at a small ocean community. Alec is expected in a day or so, and they're to have some much needed vacation time to themselves.

But almost immediately, Daisy encounters two in
Maggie Hesseling
I found this novel really dissapointing. It was less mystery and more travellogue. Which, in itself isn't bad, but I was expecting more of what I've come to consider a 'classic Dalrymple mystery.'

What made the novel readable, was the fact that Alec really took charge of the case. And though Daisy's information was really invaluble, here we really get to see how good an investigator he is. But I wanted Daisy back. I miss her stumbling over bodies and insinuating herself in investigations. I know
Patricia
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher novel. For this genre, it was well done. It is 1924. Three months pregnant, Daisy, her husband Alec Fletcher is DCI with Scotland Yard, his daughter Belinda and Belinda's friend Deva are vacationing in Cornwall. They are residing with landlady, Cecily Omstruther whose husband Peter is in the military. There is another resident, Donald Baskin, a school teacher who plans to walk the cliffs. The girls make friends with a mute man, Sid, who is a beachcomber.
George
Kimberly Ann
Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher is off on a summer holiday by the sea with her step-daughter Belinda and Belinda's chum Deva. Her husband, Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard, who arrives days later is anticipating a relaxing, non-dramatic holiday.

The local tavern keeper has been seducing the local women & tossing them aside, the Inn-keeper where daisy & family are staying is one of his many victims and her husband promptly goes into the tavern to settle up.

Later, when the Fletch
Grey853
Stephanie
This wasn't one of my favorites in this series. There was something a little off about how Alec and Daisy "shared" the case. It was still a fun little cozy and Daisy and her marriage to Alec are charming as ever. I think Carola Dunn does a good job of making Daisy a "modern" woman while still grounding her firmly in the 1920s. Daisy does seem perhaps a little too flighty when it comes to watching the children, probably to give her the freedom to be involved in the action but I hope they do intro ...more
Victoria Ellis
The fourteenth book in the Daisy Dalrymple 1920s cosy murder mystery series sees the discovery of the body of a local philanderer. This one was a tale of two halves. The first half I really enjoyed. It had a bit of a slow start but it was nice to see Carola Dunn building up to the discovery of the body. The second half, despite more action I just did not enjoy as much and I was a little disappointed with the final reveal. Overall it was fine but I had been expecting a little bit more from the fi ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
One of my favorites of the more recent ones, I have read, but only because the formula was different. Still love all the characters. New voice, too. Like this one better. No attempt at voice=character...which I found confusing (because it was I consistent ) looking forward to the next one. (I am glad these are entertaining...they help me to sleep, and not to obsess when I am working on or doing things that otherwise would leave my mind open to worry about the state of our country.
Maria
Now that Daisy is pregnant, Alex is even more concerned (and miffed) when another dead body turns up while on family vacation. At least this time, Alex is the one who discovers the body, but as usual, Daisy manages to get herself involved in the investigation. And try as he might to stay out of it, Alex is put in charge, thus ruining a nice holiday. This time we have a bit of a different ending as all the players try to unravel who might have pushed the despicable, philandering George Enderby.
George
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#14 in the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple (and her husband Scotland Yard Detective chief Inspector Alec Fletcher), magazine writer and heiress (no inheritance due to British entailed system) mystery series. It is Summer (August?), 1924, Daisy is now 3 months pregnant and the family is on a 2 week seaside vacation when they discover a body at the base of a cliff.
Bodwisebooks
This was just what you would expect from a Daisy Dalrymple book. Characters a plenty and a new countryside scenery. Ended well, it was what I had expected and I think the right way as any other would probably have made people a bit sad.
Denis
Apr 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story line destroyed by disconnection to aspects of english life and ,in the audiobook, a narrator who learnt to speak English at from Dick van dyke. The nuances of different accents in 1920s Cornwall, use of English and plain pronunciation grate terribly.
Libraryassistant
This one definitely has some extra quirkiness in character and situations. It was still enjoyable though, and I felt her power of description really made the beach cliffs and exciting rescues come to life. You gotta love Daisy!
I actually liked this one better than some of the others. There were a lot of suspects, interesting characters, and it took place at the beach!
Susan
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light woman detective story set in 1924 in England. Enjoyable if you are in the mood for something easy.
Jen D.
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good cozy beach read :)
Susan Beck
British who done it. Listened to it as I was playing on the computer. It is the only one in this series I have read. I thought it started out slow. There really wasn't much to it.
Windyhill
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light hearted and entertaining. Audiobook which I enjoyed
Colleendearborn
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book through Overdrive. Bernadette Dunn is an excellent audio-narrator. Enjoyed the characters and plot.
Kris Laabs Malmberg
Anj_1
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good holiday read.
Debbie
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This entry in the series was more engaging than the last few. For one, the mystery wasn't so easy to solve. For another, the characters were very appealing as was the setting.
Ruth
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The 1920's mystery includes witty dialogue and interesting environment. Carola Dunn's books are both historical and satisfying. I hope to read them all in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Deception at Thornecrest (Amory Ames #7)
  • The Last Mrs. Summers (Her Royal Spyness, #14)
  • Marriage is Murder?: A Cozy Historical Murder Mystery (The Posie Parker Mystery Series Book 9)
  • Murder in Black Tie (High Society Lady Detective, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney (Mrs. Jefferies, #18)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Weeds the Plot (Mrs. Jeffries, #15)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • An Old Money Murder in Mayfair (High Society Lady Detective, #5)
  • A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Murder
  • Mrs. Jeffries Delivers the Goods (Mrs. Jeffries #37)
  • Treacherous Is the Night (Verity Kent, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Murder in the Bowery (Gaslight Mystery, #20)
  • Lady Rample and the Silver Screen (Lady Rample Mysteries Book 3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings (Mrs. Jeffries, #26)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • Murder In The Afternoon (Kate Shackleton, #3)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)