Start by marking “Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1

Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1 (Miss Pas Touche #1-2)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  579 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Paris in the thirties. The ‘Butcher of the Dances’ is on the prowl for young loose women. Blanche works as a maid along with the only family she knows, her sister, fun-loving Agatha. Suddenly, Blanche loses her to what she saw was murder but others only write off as suicide. She decides to take matters into her own hands. In her pursuit, she ends up a servant in a luxury h ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by NBM Publishing (first published May 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Don't Touch Me, Vol. 1

Seth T.
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Miss Don't Touch Me by Hubert & Kerascoët

Probably better than any other culture-group, the French have over and again adapted the conventions of noir cinema to their own works. This is fitting, after all, as film noir was a critical designation invented by the French to describe a certain mode of crime thriller. Made popular in the '40s in the US, noir is generally counted to span the era of 1941 to 1958—from The Maltese Falcon to Touch of Evil, as it were. Yet though film noir in its traditional, classic sense dies off in 1958 with Or
Raina
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's Nancy Drew, except Nancy is a dominatrix.

Ok, so not exactly. There's a serial killer on the loose in 20s Paris, and the sister of one of his victims has to go undercover as the virgin dom at a high-society brothel to exact her revenge.

Candy for me. Though I'm not sure what that says about me.

This is a great example of a GN where I don't find the art very attractive, but got completely sucked in by the story. I love that about good GN writing.

It's very graphic, both sexually and violence-wis
Jackie "the Librarian"
Blanche has a LOT of pent up rage, and who can blame her? Her sister was murdered by a serial killer, the authorities didn't believe her when she told them what really happened and called it suicide, and then her employer fired her and sent her off into the street without a reference. You simply can't have girls whose sisters kill themselves working for you, scandalous! She's furious and out to find the men who killed her sister.
She gets an opportunity to use that rage when, in her not-very-ski
David Schaafsma
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-crime, gn-european
What's not to like? A crime thriller set in a thirties Paris brothel, where a woman, Blanche, whose sister was murdered by some serial killer, gets "a job" in the brothel to see if she can get some insight/explore/snoop around into who mightta dunnit. And she's a virgin, our Blanche, ha.

Do we believe that this girl can get a job as a "prostitute" and remain a "virgin dominatrix" (her shtick in the brothel, as it turns out)? Nah, but it's pretty fun, and sort of titillating (more so for a man tha
Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Paris, early 20th century. A young maid called Florence witnesses the murder of a high class prostitute in an abandoned building by two men. Hysterical, she rushes out to find her sister, a more outgoing and fun loving soul who goes back to the room to prove her sister imagined it all - and is then shot. Cast out of her house and grieving her dead sister, Florence begins hunting the murderers, a chase that leads her to one of the classiest brothels in Paris, the Pompadour. There she becomes one ...more
Andrew
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
oh my. This is a racy little graphic novel that stills manages to be charming and stylish. Probably because it is written by the French and they can get away with being risque and tasteful.

The graphic style reminds me of Kate Beaton... only with more nipples and exclusively about murder and prostitutes in post-WWI Paris. I get the impression she'd like it (you know... because of its style and her interest in European history... not because of the graphic nature). The pacing is great and the cha
Natalia
May 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the story of a girl, Blanche, who works with her sister, Agatha, as a live-in maid in Paris at the turn of the twentieth century. When Blanche witnesses her sister’s murder, her world is destroyed. People think Agatha committed suicide, and nobody will believe Blanche. She goes on a mission to avenge Agatha’s death, which takes her into a realm of prostitution, murder, and deceit.

It is both hard to believe and a relief that Agatha can manage to work at a brothel and not even have to take
Jennifer (The Nightly Book Owl)
Fair Warning: This book is quite graphic, but that’s to be expected when you read a graphic novel in which the main characters are prostitutes.

There’s a murderer in Paris, and they call him “The Butcher of the Dances,” preying on loose women at dances and whatnot. The main character, Blanche, has a sister who is murdered by this serial killer, so she goes on a little journey (into a brothel) to find out who killed her sister. Can she work undercover in a brothel and find out who the killer is an
Caleb
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A serial killer on the loose, a high class brothel, a sister seeking justice and revenge. Sex and violence, those staples of entertainment that we seem to have an insatiable appetite for are given a playful working in this delicious graphic novel.

The media dubbed 'Butcher of the Dances' prowls the streets of Paris in the early twentieth century, seeking young woman returning from suburban late-night dances to make them a headline. Witness the Butcher at work with his latest victim and her siste
Arminzerella
Skye Kilaen
I was enjoying this quite a bit. Then, without seemingly any narrative reason, the artist undressed a character who I thought of as trans. Literally nothing seemed to happening in the story that required or was furthered by this full reveal of her body. There was very little similar treatment of other characters that we're supposed to like, despite most of the book taking place in a bordello. It just took me right out of the story.

I don't know my trans history well enough to understand how Miss
Andrea
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This felt like an R-rated version of a Scooby Doo episode, with admittedly no van and way fewer dogs (except for that one guy who liked to bark)...and with a decidedly noticeable increase in vajay-jay and sexy times. An improvement, really ;).
You could definitely feel the French in this story...it had a much more open and honest view on sex and prostitution while still being decadent and glamorous (or at least as glamorous as sex work can get). An interesting mix in any case, and an interesting
Susan
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Blanche begins this story as a housemaid, but is drawn into trying to find "the butcher of the dances," who she believes murdered her sister. In the process, she finds herself working at a high-class house of call-girls, and gets drawn into much more than she bargained for.

There are a few interesting characters, though. For example, Josephine, a transsexual, is mysterious and complex. But most of the other characters are fairly one-sided. And most men in the story are portrayed as at best the v
Negativni
Na prvu se čini da "cartoon" crtež ilustratora Kerascoët (skupni potpis bračnog para Marie Pommepuy i Sébastiena Cosseta) nikako ne ide uz ovu temu i da bi bolje pristajao neki "ozbiljniji" stil, no čini mi se da baš to i čini ovaj, što se tiče priče, relativno prosječni krimić zanimljivim.

Zabavno, sa dosta humora i pričom koja dobro teče i završava.
Allie
It's weird that I read this right after Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick. Both are great, but a little risqué to read on the bus.
Sharon
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not impressed. Whoever translated the text did an inferior job- the language was choppy and stilted, but some of the plot points were awkward as well. I wasn't overly impressed with the artwork either.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's like a Tin Tin story with prostitues
Travis Duke
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining murder mystery set in 1930's Paris. It tells the story of Florence and her search for the truth about murdered friend. Florence is a maid but soon loses her job and decided to find investigate her fellow maid's murder. It leads her to a brothel where she gets a job as Miss don't touch me, a play on words because of her role. It is a standard "who done it" mystery that is fun to read but it is anything amazing for me. The art matches the time frame and is complementary for the story.
Erikka
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A crime thriller graphic novel involving a woman investigating her sister's murder by getting a job in a brothel. It wasn't bad, a little edgy for my tastes, but I liked the art. It read like a movie.
Darcy Rohwer
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
Murder, mystery, & a Dominatrix. The art is, of course, amazing but the story gets bumpy in places. Josephine is really the one who gets things done and is generally fabulous. Artistically a 5, story wise a 3.
Kelly Dashiell
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was pretty adorable, despite all the murder
Kelly
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dark and violent, but very entertaining.
Elevate Difference
Jul 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Miss Don't Touch Me is the story of a girl, Blanche, who works with her sister, Agatha, as a live-in maid in Paris at the turn of the twentieth century. When Blanche witnesses her sister’s murder, her world is destroyed. People think Agatha committed suicide, and nobody will believe Blanche. She goes on a mission to avenge Agatha’s death, which takes her into a realm of prostitution, murder, and deceit.

Pop Bop
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Sophisticated French Graphic Noir

First some important housekeeping so that you aren't disapointed with what you buy. Blanche's story originally appeared in English in two volumes - "Miss Don't Touch Me" and then "Miss Don't Touch Me Volume 2". Each runs about 96 pages. Then came "Miss Don't Touch Me, The Complete Story", which includes both of the earlier volumes. This is my review of "...The Complete Story", but I'm posting it on all three book sites as a warning to buyers to be careful.

This
Dani Peloquin
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Originally published in France, Miss Don't Touch Me by Hubert & Kerascoet is a graphic novel about two sisters who work as the maids to an aristocratic woman until the murder of one of the sisters causes the remaining sibling to go on a hunt for her sister's killer. This graphic novel is a classic who-dunit but is for mature audiences ONLY for it includes a great deal of violence and sexual content.

Set in the 1903s, Agnes is a carefree girl who spends her nights dancing with various men out
April
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There have been so many graphic novels that I've picked up from the library on a whim without knowing what to expect, so it's a pleasant surprise that none of them have disappointed me at all! Miss Don't Touch Me is about a young woman in 1930s Paris who is determined to hunt down a serial killer after she witnesses her sister's murder (which had been passed off as a suicide by the police). This whole book is a wild ride, filled with strong female characters and intriguing mysteries that kept me ...more
Courtney
Blanche and her sister, Agatha, work as maids in 1930's Paris. The whole town is in an uproar over a serial murderer who has been terrorizing the city. When Agatha is killed, the death is ruled ruled a suicide. Blanche, the only witness, knows the truth and sets out to find the killer. She takes a new job at a high-end brothel, but manages to avoid having her virginity taken by becoming a dominatrix-type prostitute appropriately called "Miss Don't Touch Me". Her new job enables her to learn more ...more
Jeff
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Maybe this deserves 4 stars, because: despite the setting the author managed to avoid pandering to the prurient interests; i recognize that my inability to identify illustrated faces hindered early comprehension of key plot developments; and my slothful attention to verbal cues also contributed to lack of understanding at the time that Hubert could reasonably expect an intelligent reader to find clues to solve the mystery.

I'm not much for mysteries, though, so i'm going to round down from 3.5.

If
Jax
Although I usually don't like mystery stories, I think the art style and the stubborn/mad protagonist made up for it. The graphic novel is fully colored solidly which is nice on the eyes, even when they show particularly unpleasant images. Caution: This book is not meant to be read by an young audience because some of the pictures have sexual content and disturbing graphic violence. Nonetheless, they all mix into a very interesting story that is unlike other stories today. It's similar to the ta ...more
Martha Curtis
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Takes place in Paris of the thirties.Blanche tries to find the murder of her sister, Agatha. In the process she works in brothel as a dominatrix but remains a virgin.
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • Sakuran
  • Over the Wall
  • Market Day
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 3
  • Crogan's Vengeance (The Crogan Adventures #1)
  • Koko Be Good
  • Beauty
  • Husbands
  • Rat Catcher
  • The Leaning Girl (Les Cités Obscures, #6)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Ichiro
Hubert Boulard de son vrai nom ; il naît à Saint Renan, Finistère, en 1971. À l’origine, il ne se destine pas à la Bande dessinée, mais aux Arts plastiques. Il entre aux Beaux-Arts, d’abord à Quimper, puis à Angers. C’est là qu’a lieu une rencontre déterminante : Yoann (Toto l’Ornithorynque, La Voleuse du Père Fauteuil...), qui se destine déjà à être auteur et est publié en Angleterre. C’est lui q ...more
More about Hubert...

Miss Pas Touche (4 books)
  • La Vierge du bordel (Miss Pas Touche, #1)
  • Du sang sur les mains (Miss Pas Touche, #2)
  • Le Prince charmant (Miss Pas Touche, #3)
  • Jusqu'à ce que la mort nous sépare (Miss Pas Touche, #4)