Start by marking “Introducing Nietzsche: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Introducing Nietzsche: A Graphic Guide

Introducing Nietzsche: A Graphic Guide

(Graphic Guides)

Why must we believe that God is dead? Can we accept that traditional morality is just a 'useful mistake'? Did the principle of 'the will to power' lead to the Holocaust? What are the limitations of scientific knowledge? Is human evolution complete or only beginning? It is difficult to overestimate the importance of Friedrich Nietzsche for our present epoch. His extraordina ...more
Published January 15th 2005 by Icon Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Nietzsche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Nietzsche

Paul Bryant
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
From what this short sharp graphic guide tells you, if somebody was to have leaned over a balcony and dropped a television on Nietzsche’s head as he was walking by, that would have not been such a bad thing. Or crept up behind him and gave him a little push and sent him tumbling down the stairs, like you might do with your grandma if you were in a playful frame of mind. And if he mortally wounded his vast moustache on the way down to the ground floor, so much the better. Rarely has the world see ...more
Jack Fingal
The first book I read by Nietzsche was Thus Spake Zarathustra. At the end of my edition of the book there was an essay that said that Thus Spake Zarathustra is the most inaccessible of Nietzsche's works, and it should be read only after having read the rest of his body of work. Gee, would have liked to know that beforehand!

That being said, I still enjoyed Thus Spake Zarathustra immensely, even though I did not agree with its opinions all of the time. Ever since I read it I was looking for a boo
Dyary Abubakr
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nietzsche, he who can make your jaw drop while you read not a book of his, not a paragraph, but a single sentence, a single sentence of his can make you freeze and think for hours, for days.
because as he himself said: “It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book.”. Nietzsche shakes every shackle on your unused brain, he dives into the depth of human mind, discovers the origin of every human feeling, fear, joy, and suffering.
this book was a beautiful and amazing int
Tim Pendry
This book is part of a series of graphic accounts of significant modern philosophers and ideas. The original idea behind the series was that you could educate through a combination of image and crisp short summaries of the life and history of complicated people and concepts.

This is both absurd and helpful. None of these books (largely produced in the post-modern fervour of the 1990s) can do more than skim the surface of a subject. Ideas can be so foreshortened that they are meaningless to the u
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful if you want a quick taste of all his ideas, make a list of those that interest you the most, and dig them further in more scholarly books. Here are some random jottings:

1) Kant epitomized the tradition of thought going back to Plato which seeks knowledge of final truths beyond the confines of our daily experience, an underlying timeless reality (like Schopenhauer’s idea of Will). This conception of truth wants to transcend the particular facts of any culture or individual or indeed
Alexandru
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to Nietzsche's ideas, which are becoming more relevant today.

P.S. At the end of the book the answer can be found on why Nietzsche being highly critical of German culture at that moment in time (Prussia's rise) and writing against anti-semitism, was mutilated by his sister after his death to become one of the Hitler's main author used for Mein Kempf.
Rajiv
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell you just how brilliant this book is. Friedrich Nietzsche is one of the greatest philosophers of all time, and his ideas can be difficult to understand. He has also produced a lot of books, which are dense and rife with allegories, philosophical thoughts, and reflections on life, reality, and religion, among other things. This book, a collaboration by Gane and Piero, does an amazing work of condensing his thoughts into an accessible format.

The text is clear, sharp, and easy to unders
Donald
Dec 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I found this while at the bookshop looking for something else. I liked the look of the cover so I picked it up and had a flick through. It is very pretty and very desirable. Introductory texts like this often pique my interest but my sense of pride, or machismo, makes me hesitate. The booming voice in my head says: not tough enough for the original material, Senor Quixote? And I am not. I've trudged through a couple of Nietzche's works and found it heavy going, not much of it stuck.

But I walked
Abhishek
The little philosophy I knew before reading this was primarily due to watching Crash Course Philosophy on YouTube, bingeing existentialistcomics.com and through general awareness.

The thing that strikes you about the book is that it doesn't go deep into Nietzsche's life like a traditional biography would have done instead of showing you the significant moments of his life and thoughts. This is surely a nod to Nietzsche where he laments the voluminous literature that is generated by Academia but t
Wilde Sky
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book recounts the life and ideas of a famous philosopher.

I found many of the concepts (and the direct quotes from the philosopher) in this book really fascinating – some of the narrative / writing (around the philosopher's concepts) was a bit ropey.
Elena
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't care much for philosophy, but Nietzsche was such a dramatic lunatic that the graphic novel format suits him well. I will never get that image of him having sex out of my head, sadly. My favorite image was the one about eternal return which shows him walking through a dark forest. I also loved the jaunty cartoony images of him when he announced he was the antichrist and started making appointments with the king of italy. Thoroughly readable, and I happily read the whole thing.
Hussain Elius
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hussain by: Rajiv
You know, I haven't read much Nietzsche, but I felt good reading it. I know it's just a summary, and I may be wrong, but he has a morbid optimism in his philosophy. He knew people aren't ready for his ideas, but they will be, and when they do, his writing's will help them leave their humanity behind and be Supermen.

How can I not respect that?
José Oroño
I've got a soft-spot for these books. They provide a very motivating, if superficial, introduction to the topic at hand. Each section, no longer than 4 o 5 pages, introduces the reader to a new concept or facet of the thinker's life, and can be read on its own, without having to reference earlier parts of the book. That alone makes these my books of choice to read between classes and during my commutes, when I only have around 5 minutes to read and I want to make good use of them.

Now, I honestly
Daniel
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An informative and helpful introduction

I am now peripherally aware of a broad swathe of Nietzsche's work. I particularly liked the extra information afforded to the reader about Nietzsche's life, along with some historical context. I was also extremely glad to find that the book offers a full picture of the philosophers who influenced Nietzsche, as well as those whose work was inspired by him. After having read this publication, I feel better equipped to choose some primary sources for further r
Hal
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A fairly easy to follow guide as philosophy goes. Nietzsche of course the focus on this one. As an ebook I found the graphics a bit hard to follow especially on a Kindle ereader. On a tablet maybe not as much an issue.

The book flows through the evolution of Nietzsche's philosophical principles up to his ultimate demise, and exams what he was trying to say and put some context into what it all means for us in today's world. Such is the magical mystical world of philosophy.
Rona
This publication is good introduction to Nietzsche, as it mentions a lot of his important philosophies and works. However, I felt that the book became more superficial and disorganised towards the end. It was hard to keep track sometimes, especially when other Philosophers were introduced into the narrative. It's still a good book if you want to just get an idea of what Nietzsche is all about.
Kirk Johnson
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By now I've read quite a few from this series, but this is the only one I've ended up buying instead of borrowing. An unexpected amount of ink was spilled on this volume to create the moody illustrations, which alone are worth the price of the book. Also, no complaints whatsoever about the writing, which makes heavier use of quotes from the subject than usual.
Paul
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
my only wish was that the author was more forthcoming with citations for the quotes that the book presents. Some were hard to find if existent at all; since I can't find them I have no choice but to doubt their existence. I do think it was a great overview in general of Nietzsche's life, work, and influence.
Reinhardt
Quick. Concise. Tracing his Thought.

A quick summary of Nietzsche’s writing with special emphasis on his interaction with previous philosophy and influence on subsequent philosophy, especially existentialism and post-modernism.

I could do without the menacing cartoons, it I guess that is the whole point of these books. Too many good bits buried in the comics.
Denise
I liked the picture book, quick read concept. I only wanted a basic Nietzsche outline after reading Hesse’s book, Demian. In spite of all the pictures and word bubbles, it’s a lot to digest. Do I agree? Do I disagree with Nietzsche? Still thinking about it.
Trupti Haldankar
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'I will never again read an author of whom I suspect that he wanted to make a book, but only those whose thoughts unexpectedly became a book.'

This book gives the simplest form for better understanding of Nietzsche.
Ashur
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been longing for a series like this and it served me well. The truth is in the title: It's an introduction, not a comprehensive text. However, it does recommend comprehensive texts. Very helpful for someone like me with large holes in their education.
Clive Hazell
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice job

Covered the basics yet still maintained the radical edge. Good section on those he influence and his accurate timely prognostications.
Kevin
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good for beginners
Sebastian Kayser
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review

Great art work and simple but in depth intro to this philosopher and ideas along with personal struggles and demons.
mr Bryan Connor
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insight into the mind of this great philosopher.
Ron Johnson
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nietzsche

An excellent short introduction to Nietzsche’s basic motifs. Includes a short overview of those he has influenced (e.g. Foucault, Derrida...).
Dean Brooks
Good introduction, although quite obtuse at times. Illustrations servicable.
VS NARAYAN
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction of Nietzsche

You can easily comprehend the theories raised by hin.

The diagrams are funny but conveys the meaning.

A must Reader

Sid Gustafson
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thus Spoke Nietzsche

This review of Nietzsche and his philosophy reveals many attributes and views that are applicable to contemporary society, an efficiently presented treatise.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Lacan
  • Introducing Consciousness
  • Introducing Fascism and Nazism

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Fascism and Nazism
  • Introducing Genetics
  • Introducing Jesus
  • Kafka
“Q. Why do you write? A. I have found no other way of getting rid of my thoughts.” 2 likes
“Will is seen as the source of all suffering, since willing never brings contentment, but only further desire!” 1 likes