Start by marking “Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm” as Want to Read:
Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm

Harry the Poisonous Centipede: A Story to Make You Squirm (Harry the Poisonous Centipede #1)

Harry is a curious, mischievous young centipede who gets himself in all kinds of trouble when he disobeys his mother and makes the forbidden trip up into the dangerous world of "hoo-mins".
Published 1996 by Collins

To ask other readers questions about Harry the Poisonous Centipede, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry the Poisonous Centipede

Rebecca McNutt
May 06, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Strange and eccentric but funny little middle-grade novel; Harry's adventures are vividly described and filled with colorful characters, vivid imagery and wonderfully-drawn illustrations. This book was a lot of fun to read and I highly recommend it.
Susan
Feb 08, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Read to my daughters - ages 4 & 6. They both quite liked it. Nearly every chapter ended with a cliffhanger of sorts and it drove my daughters crazy when I put down the book without reading "one more chapter!"

As a child, I spent a couple of years living in a tropical country with poisonous centipedes. I was bitten a couple of times, once in bed in the middle of the night (!!), and was reluctantly amused by the centipedes' anthropomorphization. My daughters were much more sympathetic to the yo
Soh Kam Yung
Mar 07, 2012 Soh Kam Yung rated it really liked it
The adventures of Harry the poisonous centipede, who befriends George, another centipede, learns how to swim and discovers the dangers of going up the 'down pipe' and faces the greatest danger of all: hoo-mins.

It isn't often a 'yukky' creature becomes the star of a book. While you have to remember to separate truth from fiction, this book does weave them together into an entertaining story.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 26, 2010 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: Specifically I am collecting this publisher's list under the title of "First Modern Classics" aimed at younger readers originating from the UK house. The titles on this list, which started in 2009, all by British authors, are a unique selection for North American readers, though a few international classics are included. Lynne Reid Banks is mostly known in NA for her Indian in the Cupboard series. I had heard of this book but never actually seen it.

Harry, his best friend Geor
Jeannette Baeza
Sep 12, 2016 Jeannette Baeza rated it it was amazing
My son (age 10) is currently reading this book. He cannot wait to log onto his reading app everyday to find out what happens in the adventures of Harry, George, and Belinda. This is a huge accomplishment, because trying to get him to read used to be a losing battle in my home.
Logan Braden
Nov 05, 2009 Logan Braden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite his mother's warnings to stay close to their home deep inside the earth, Harry the centipede is anxious to visit the "no-top-world," where centipedes are "not the biggest thing around, by any means--or even the fastest!"
His mother's scary stories about "flying swoopers," "furry biters," and the dreaded "Hoo-mins" are not enough to stop the curious centipede from joining his mischievous friend, George, on forbidden upward. The two have some close calls with monster creatures, but manag
Barbara Lovejoy
Dec 15, 2012 Barbara Lovejoy rated it really liked it
I wasn't going to read this book as my 5th book from the Reading Promise Booklist because it didn't sound that interesting to me. Am so glad I gave it a try. It is a delightful book that not only taught me some interesting things about centipedes, but also about relationships. I feel kids (and adults!) will enjoy this book. Note: I was surprised to discover that the author of this book is the bestselling author of Indian in the Cupboard.
Dree
Feb 01, 2011 Dree rated it really liked it
A very cute book about Harry, a young poisonous centipede. He and his friend George have adventures, much to Harry's mom's Belinda's chagrin.

I read this to my older son a few years ago, and now read it to my younger guy. Again, older son managed to listen to much of it.

The highlights: the descriptions of hoo-mins and Centipedish words.

Maria Francescon
Apr 08, 2013 Maria Francescon rated it really liked it
A winner for young kids who are fascinated by poisonous or dangerous creatures. Harry is indeed a poisonous centipede, but with curiosity and the ability to get himself into a tight place similar to his audience. Perfect as a read aloud for 4 to 8 year olds.
Luis
Apr 19, 2009 Luis rated it it was amazing
Harry is a Poisonous Centipede and dosent really pay much attention to what peopl tell him.He's the fastes centipede and has extra legs like his mom.Read about his adventure.

You can get this book at Ms.Lacy libary.

I recomand this to any body who likes fatancy.
Beth
Feb 13, 2015 Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: 3rd-grade
Cute story that third grade students would enjoy. I know that my daughter read it when she was younger and really liked it. Be aware of the fact that bugs have to eat, and it might upset the more sensitive reader.
Gina Pecoraro
Apr 16, 2010 Gina Pecoraro rated it really liked it
Great book to read aloud!
Brigette
Sep 03, 2014 Brigette rated it really liked it
SOH Book Group, Sept. 2014
Tina
Jan 29, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
As a kid, I really liked this book. I thought telling the story from a centipede's point of view is really interesting.
Papia aziz
Jan 11, 2010 Papia aziz rated it it was amazing
This book is really catchy!!!!!!
Victoria
Apr 15, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
I love this book. I read it with my class and they loved it too. It's a great story about friendship and family.
Tara
Finished reading this book, and the next morning saw a centipede crawling right next to the head of my bed... Creepy!!
Nana
Mar 10, 2016 Nana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor
My first grade teacher read this to my class--it was so funny!
Maureen
Oct 08, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it
Isn't it horrible when friends get you into trouble? Harry may be poisonous but that doesn't make him invincible. And with his friend George, they push the limits of what they can get away with.
Emmylou
My current TRA (teacher read aloud) A great book for talking about looking at life from another perspective.
Fizzmas
Sep 21, 2007 Fizzmas rated it really liked it
This is one of the best children read alouds I have ever come across.
Heather
Feb 27, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
what's not to love about Harry!! Great read to read over & over again!
ah
Oct 31, 2013 ah rated it really liked it
I love love love love love it!
brilliant!
Shanjida begum
harry is too scared to go iinside the hoomans house
Caleb
Oct 19, 2015 Caleb rated it it was amazing
Cute story and concepts that centipedes would think of our world. I would recommend it for young readers.
Hannah Givens
Read this when I was a kid, and actually remembered it pretty well. It's cute and gross, the perfect combination for kidlit.
Jessica
May 17, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Easy bedtime read aloud for L. Our third time through finished tonight, though it had been awhile since the second. I still think it's cute.
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Corey
Corey rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
  • The Half-a-Moon Inn
  • Trouble River
  • The Mouse of Amherst: A Tale of Young Readers
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Henry Huggins Collection (Henry Huggins, #1-4)
  • Selling Hope
  • A Rat's Tale
  • Harry's Mad
  • The Barn
  • Larger-Than-Life Lara
  • Journey
  • The Last Treasure
  • Paddington: Here and Now (Paddington, #12)
  • Misty to the Rescue (Mermaid S.O.S., #1)
  • The Moonlight Man
Lynne Reid Banks is a British author of books for children and adults. She has written forty books, including the best-selling children's novel The Indian in the Cupboard, which has sold over 10 million copies and been made into a film.
Banks was born in London, the only child of James and Muriel Reid Banks. She was evacuated to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada during World War II but returned after
More about Lynne Reid Banks...

Harry the Poisonous Centipede (3 books)
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede's Big Adventure: Another Story to Make You Squirm
  • Harry the Poisonous Centipede Goes to Sea