Start by marking “Three Names of Me” as Want to Read:
Three Names of Me

Three Names of Me

Three Names of Me A girl adopted from China explains that she has three names--one her birth mother whispered in her ear, one the baby-sitters at her orphanage called her, and one her American parents gave her--and each are an important part of who she is. Full description
Published January 1st 2006 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Three Names of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Names of Me

Start your review of Three Names of Me
Shu Xiao
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wonder when did this adoption story happen, because whenever the birth mum appears in the book, she is dressed as if she is from the 1920s. I can't find any woman dressed like that in China now, and I believe women from the 1980s didn't look like that either. In the end, Ada lists what she thinks would have been different about her life if she'd grow up in China, and she says: “School would have been so much harder. I'd have to memorize all those characters with just the right kind of strokes ...more
Kathryn
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I was drawn in by the gorgeous cover illustration (it is probably the best in the book, but some others are nice, too) but the story tries WAY too hard, IMO. It's like the author set out to write a story about Chinese adoption--like there was some sort of teaching tool here that just happened to be wrapped in a story, rather than simply BEING a story and allowing the "lesson" to unfold.
Brittany Hinton
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very informational book. It talks about things that happen in real life, and could be very helpful to children. I don't personally have any experience with adoption, so this was an eye-opening book.
April
Nov 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book.

I found the illustrations sort of creepy and distorted, but the main issue was that it made China seem like this ultra-exotic place (a place which is still apparently 100 years behind Current China in terms of clothing.)

The story was choppy, and while it brought up real issues like people staring at her and her American family (because they don't match), it weirdly glossed over that issue ("I don't like being stared at. I like hot dogs.") What?

I think the only thing of
Stacey B.
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had to read this for my diverse children's literature class.
Hannah Holthaus
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was really great. It talked about a young Chinese girl who was adopted when she was a baby to an American family. This young girl, now known as Ada, has had three names throughout her young life. She knows that her birth mother, someone far away in China, whispered her first name in her ear at the hospital when she was born but she does not remember it. Her second name was given to her at the orphanage, and her third name is her new adopted name. Sometimes Ada gets sad w ...more
Nicholas King
Shelves: children-s-books
Again, this is another great book for children to read today. The book is an interesting story many children can relate to. Whether you are Asian, adopted, or just have had multiple parents (or have known someone who has had multiple parents) you can definitely relate to this book. The book is a very cute story and the illustrations almost look like photos. The main character, Ada, doesn't feel too different from everyone else around her. She also mentions how she doesn't liked to be stared at i ...more
Liv Nash
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary-books
This is a really great book for all children because it can help children who were adopted from other countries feel more at home and have a connection. It can help them to accept and embrace their culture. For children that aren't adopted, it can help them understand the culture and background of their friends, peers, or even family members that were adopted. A lot of times, children that are adopted from other countries have their first name changed by their adopted parents, like Ada, but kee ...more
Susan
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wasn't really into the art style and the story felt disjointed and off putting. I wonder what other Asian Americans think of this, because there are certain parts & phrases that really sounds like a white person wrote it. I understand it's supposed to be from a child's perspective, but I don't know anyone growing up who talked like that, even Chinese Americans that are considered "thoroughly Americanized". Maybe it's an age thing and the book is meant for age 6 and under? It felt a bit like an a ...more
Alexis Henson
Shelves: children-books
This is a very nice book with beautiful illustrations. It is a good book to share in the classroom because it gives kids an insight into a life very different from theres (or maybe relatable for some). It's a story about a girl born in china who was left at an orphanage and adopted in America. She has 3 names, the one she doesn't remember from her birth mother, the one the woman in the orphanage gave her, and the name her adopted parents gave her.
Hannah Lockington
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good look into what you usually don't think about with adopted/fostered children. Reaction: this book was really sweet in embracing multiple identities. This could be used in the classroom when you have an adopted student who knows that they are adopted and could really embrace all of their past choices and families. It could also be used to explain a different family structure in the family unit if none of your kids are adopted.
Brenna Shull
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book and how it showed the importance of peoples names. It reminded me of when my teachers would have us make "about me" posters. The illustrations and dedication demonstrate that this books was wrote from insider knowledge and can be used in the classroom because it is culturally correct. I would use this book in the classroom because it discusses adaption in other countries and could be helpful to my students who have been adopted.
Tyne Mather
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book made me think about other kids that I have met that were adopted. This gave me a new perspective because it showed that the girl was sad but also happy with how her life turned out. As a future teacher, I would use this book to show how families are different. Kids can be adopted and be in a happy family. Other kids struggle with the idea of adoption and this book explains it in an easy way.
Lyla Muhlenkamp
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite extraordinary. This little girl had three names throughout her life: the name her birth parents gave her, the name the orphanage gave her, and the name her adopted family gave her. I think this book portrays the message really well that you should accept who you are. This little girl had three names and she was proud of it. This book was phenomenal and would highly recommend for the classroom.
Sarah Brandt
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book touches on a very important subject. The book talks about a young girl who was adopted from China who uses all three names she has to describe herself. She talks about the name she received from her birth mother, the caretakers at the orphanage, and her adoptive parents. She talks about how each name is important to her and makes her who she is.
Katie Ewing
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl that was born in China and was given up for adoption. She was adopted by a family from the United States. She reflects on how she had a name from her birth family, a name given to her in the orphange, and a name given to her in America. Great book to help explain adoption to a child. Also, great to explain that China had a law only allowing two children per family.
Elyssa DeAngulo
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book opens up windows and mirrors for children. A child who is adopted is able to see themselves in a mirror and their feelings about how they still my yearn to be a part of their native country. Windows are opened up for students who are not adopted and are able to see the importance of an adopted child's background.
Trevor
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A great story that taught me a lot! I think it's great for all children to read and especially those that were adopted or fostered. The book follows a young girl who was adopted and is recalling her journey and her three names. She talks about cherishing all of them and her new family. It's illustrated beautifully and a wonderful 1st hand experience to read.
Tarin Cosby
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little girl who is from China and was adopted into an American family. She talks about her experiences and how those relate to the three different names that she has had. This is a great book for children who have been adopted, or for children who need to learn about adoption. This book is a great way of explaining how families can be different.
Evan Roberts
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are interesting the illustrations cover 2 pages. This book talks about the main character dealing with the process of having 3 names. This story is about a child dealing with adjusting from moving to America from China. This book would be a great introduction to foreign countries and cultures.
Kylie Matusiewicz
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book really makes you think. Not everyone is born to a family that can support them or is capable of raising a child. As a young child, the main character knows how to learn how to get around but eat name she has been given is so special. Each of the 3 names is associated with places she has been even those she hardly remembers.
Rachel Turner
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Ada has three names. Wang Bin is what the caregivers called her at her Chinese orphanage. Ada is the name her American parents gave her. And there is a third name, a name the infant Ada only heard whispered by her Chinese mother.
Alyssa Hunt
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story goes through a little girl named Adas' life. She remembers her first name her mother gave her, her second name, and even her third. The story follows Ada through her new life with her adopted parents and her connections with her life in China
Brianna
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three Names of Me is a touching book about a child who has three names throughout her life. The first one was the name her birth mother gave her, the second was the name the orphanage gave her, and the third was the name that her adoptive parents gave her.
Jenna Parsons
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it gives a different perspective on adoption and people looking different in their classroom. I think that this is important to help individuals understand adoption and how it could be change who a person is. A great read, but may be hard to follow for young readers.
Kristen Lunsford
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is cute and different than most books I have read before. This book gives an overview for children who are curious about why their parents look different than their child. It is also neat how the culture is involved throughout this book.
Alli Smith
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I found this book so heart-warming. It is about a little girl who is adopted and all the different names she was given. I thought that this book was great because her adopted family embraces everything about her including her different names and to me I find that phenomenal.
Bailie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super cute book about a child who has different names every where she goes. This book reminded me of adoption in a way as they have to mend their life as well as possibly their name for others to pronounce. This book is great for culture diversity for a classroom.
Keaton Bailey
Shelves: children-s-books
A wonderful book about a new perspective most people don't typically think about This would be really good if you had a foreign exchange student in your class. This book shows the story of a girl, the names she goes through, and how they shape her.
Kaitlyn
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a beautifully written story that can be used to teach children about adoption and even culture. I love how Ada is connected with every part of herself and feels a deep connection with each name that she has been given.

• Enemy Pie
  • Seven Spools of Thread: A Kwanzaa Story
  • When Marian Sang: The True Recital of Marian Anderson
  • Ian's Walk: A Story about Autism
  • The Man Who Walked Between the Towers
  • Why the Spider Has Long Legs (Folk Tales From Around the World)
  • When Pigasso Met Mootisse