Start by marking “Moonshiner's Son” as Want to Read:
Moonshiner's Son

Moonshiner's Son

Twelve-year-old Tom Higgins is learning the craft of making whiskey. Even though Prohibition forbids the production and sale of alcoholic beverages, Tom is determined to be a good apprentice. He is, after all, a moonshiner's son. His father has raised moonshining to an art, and Tom wants nothing more than to please this rough, distant man.
Then a preacher comes to the wil
Published February 1st 2003 by Aladdin (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Moonshiner's Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonshiner's Son

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me*
Hated it. The book was poorly written with all the 'ain'ts', and 'stinkin', and stupid talk. Like, by the time that I was finished with it I starte thinkin' in my heed likk em. See how annoying that can get?!!! And the plot form was SLOW and dull. Tom was flat as card board. What a Gary Stu?! I will tell you, school makes me read the dumbest books ever.
AnnaScott
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I had originally expected. Set during the beginning of the Prohibition in the mountains, this story tells of a rural mountain community who makes their living primarily off of moonshine. And then a preacher moves to town with his wife and daughter and starts a mission. His favorite topic, though, is the evils of liquor, which does not go over well.

I loved Amy, June, and Tom. Mrs. Taylor and Mrs. Brown were lovely as well. Preacher Taylor seemed ridiculous to
Amy
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-for-school
I didn't like it at all. Even from the very first chapter I was irritated by the characters. The writing was boring, dull, slow, "cheap" and weak. There wasn't a proper climax and I didn't sympathise with any characters. Tom was an idiot, Amy was pathetic, Pa was stupid, the Preacher was infuriating, and Mrs. Taylor was the only person I actually found myself liking a bit more than the others.
I feel quite bad getting so worked up about this, but I honestly I thought this book was rubbish.
Leah Good
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tom lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains with his quick-tempered father. Moonshining is their way of life. That way of life starts to turn upside-down when a new preacher comes to town, bringing with him a hate of moonshining and a pretty but fiery daughter. Will they change the way Tom sees his life?

Don't let the title of this book turned you off. My parents gave it to me for Christmas several years ago and I enjoyed it. It is a clean and unique story.
Ellie Van
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tom is always striving to please his hard to please father, June. Will this get in the way of what Tom really actually wants? Definitely recommend Moonshiner’s Son, must read for middle school ages and up!
Beth
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I appreciated the nuance view it gave, not just alcohol=bad.
Linette
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Enjoyable read.
Skye
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Sweet story. I enjoyed it.
Dawn Roberts
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Character development was thin.
Betsy
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A young adult novel set in the Appalachian Mountains.
Michelle
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has stuck with me. It's an interesting look at prohibition and religion and learning to stand up for your beliefs. Though I read it a month or so ago, I sometimes think of the characters. It's a good book.
Cam3.14
Jan 04, 2017
Gabe
Jan 30, 2013
Kendall
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2016
  • A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Bound for Oregon
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Sacajawea
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Stink Alley
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Keeping Score
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • Teresa of Calcutta: Serving the Poorest of the Poor