Start by marking “The Siren's Dance: My Marriage To A Borderline: A Case Study” as Want to Read:
The Siren's Dance: My Marriage To A Borderline: A Case Study

The Siren's Dance: My Marriage To A Borderline: A Case Study

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This memoir follows the relationship between the author (a psychiatrist) and his wife, Michelle, from its tumultuous beginning in 1985 to their ambivalent last good-bye three years later. The subtitle "a case study" attempts to maintain a professional distance from this devastating relationship, but it's all too clear that the illness from which Walker's wife suffered came ...more
Published June 26th 2008 by Booksurge Publishing (first published September 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Siren's Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Siren's Dance

Moira Russell
Apr 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Highly dubious with regard to medical and psychiatric details, and horribly sexist, to boot.
Joe
Oct 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was recommended to me by a person in the "non-BPD community" - i.e., those individuals who like me, were fated to get involved with a person who has this illness. I had told her that a major reason I stuck with my person was because of the passion and love in the relationship.... which was how it got recommended. I am not the only such spouse swept off their feet by a vibrant beautiful person; this is a commonality, unbeknownst to me..... so, was my relationship like this???? the answe ...more
Rebecca
This was a very interesting read. If I had to find fault with the book it was the account was almost too succinct. I do find it disturbing that he was allowed to date a patient while a senior med school student and now is working with emotionally disturbed teenaged girls. Spelled out, he doesn't seem to have appropriate boundries when it comes to his judgement.
Deb
Nov 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, this guy can't write. Seems like he took the diagnostic criteria straight from DSM IV and made up dialog.
Jen
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are an amazing number of people with this disorder out there...Given to me by a friend trying to explain their co-dependent & addictive relationship. Hard to help your friends without understanding the problem.
J. Cee
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tori
I noticed this at the library looking for something else. It was very interesting. I see a lot of complaints in the reviews that it was too short, but I thought it was a great length to cover his experience. I was interested in reading it because of someone I had been around in the past and wondered, but his wife's case seemed so extreme that I really couldn't tell what a milder case might look like from this book. The copy I read has a copyright of 2003. It would be interesting to see an update ...more
Whitney Canales
easy, interesting, one-day read. the book gives no real insight into the mind of someone with borderline personality, but the story is intriguing, almost unbelievable, and you really get a feel for what it's like to deal with someone who has a very severe case of the disorder. i thoroughly enjoyed the book, and would recommend it if you want something quick to read. the author's writing style is very matter-of-fact and not annoying at all.
Steve
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read to improve my own memoir writing skills as I am writing about a similar subject. Found the story absorbing but the characters flat. I wanted to know more and experience more emotion while reading. This is what I want my book to express. Short chapters were accessible but at the same time too brief. I felt the shortness of the book left me wanting more depth.
Brandon
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-written account that shares an uncanny resemblance to my own emotionally-taxing experience with my borderline ex. Some of the moments were incredibly triggering for me to read. As far as I know, this is the only book I've found written for the spouses of borderlines. My break up was so horrible. This book was a welcome read.
Connie
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fascinating true story that psychiatrist's themselves fall victim to infatuation and love, to their own demise.
Angie
Feb 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I found myself holding my breath to see what the next page would bring in this sad but true story . Quick read - difficult to put down .
Robin
Dec 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone living with a psycho!
I learned that my last husband very likely suffered from this disorder, which I had long suspected!
D.
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting - which is very unusual for me. I couldn't put it down! It was an extremely interesting true story. Highly recommended!
Maura Zagrans
Feb 14, 2017
Helen
Dec 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
“Everybody always leaves me in the end, don’t you know that? I tell you all the time. You will too. How can anybody love me when I can’t even love myself? I take the people that I love the most and I hurt them the most. I am so scared you will leave that I want to give you a reason to leave me. It is impossible to love me enough.” 0 likes