Start by marking “Fifty Key Thinkers on History” as Want to Read:
Fifty Key Thinkers on History

Fifty Key Thinkers on History

Fifty Key Thinkers on History is a superb guide to historiography through the ages. The cross-section of debates and thinkers covered is unique in its breadth, taking in figures from ancient China, Greece and Rome, through the Middle Ages, to contemporary Europe, America, Africa and Australia; from Bede to Braudel; Marx to Michelet; Ranke to Rowbotham; Foucault to Fukuyama. Each ...more
Published August 31st 2000 by Routledge (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fifty Key Thinkers on History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty Key Thinkers on History

Start your review of Fifty Key Thinkers on History
Rob
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn into the 'Fifty Key' series from Routledge by Steve Pressman's excellent contribution on Economists and the company's similar volume on political thinkers which is very accessible. This is another worthy edition to the canon but I'd place it alongside the volume the firm commissioned in International Relations as it's a far more dense affair and likely to be more pleasing to academics than the general public. One issue is the choice - never an easy job - but we are talking about the ...more
Beth
Apr 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book which is surprising because I am not a historian. But I found that reading each biography gave me an interesting perspective on history. I did have to read them in chronological order, not the alphabetical order they were presented in, as jumping back and forth among time periods confused me.

I was also very surprised to see two large time gaps, one between BC and AD (I think it was right after Bede but I already returned the book to the library and can't quite remember)
Argene Clasara
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good introduction for Philosophy of History. Short biographical notes of the thinker were included to establish context. Concise ideas supported by examples of the thinkers were also included. At the end of each section, the reader will find criticisms on the thinker written by the author and other thinkers.
Sinu Rose
Sep 04, 2012
Martin Mccann
Sep 24, 2011
Menber Francis
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2017