Start by marking “The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1)

The Raven Prince

(Princes #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  16,973 Ratings  ·  1,106 Reviews
There comes a time in a woman's life when she must do the unthinkable - and find employment. For the widowed Anna Wren, that means taking a job as female secretary for the Earl of Swartingham.

Secretaries are always male - never female - as Anna well knows but the real downfall of her career is the realization that she is falling in love with Edward de Raaf - the Earl. But
Kindle Edition, Reissue Edition, 393 pages
Published November 1st 2006 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about The Raven Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Raven Prince

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like the ugly ducklings to have their happy ending
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Julie (Mom2lnb)
The Raven Prince was a sweet, sensual, delectable book that I've had sitting on my tbr pile for years now! In a way, I don't regret that, because I read it at the right time. This lovely story took what could have been dark and melancholy subject matter, and made something upbeat and whimsical, yet no less moving.

Anna and Edward are characters that get shoved into closets and overlooked when it comes to romance novels. They are both over thirty. Neither is drop-dead-gorgeous. Neither are shinin
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

The Raven Prince is the first book in the Prince’s Trilogy and my first read by author Elizabeth Hoyt, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised! I enjoyed the uniqueness of this story in that neither of the characters could be considered even remotely conventional, and this in a time when being anything less was nigh unto blasphemous! Also, there was a Beauty and the Beast fairytalesque feel to it that was done so well one could easily believe in this story and its wonderful characters.

A widow
Shin Mon Thway
Relisten - May 12 2018

I can’t even tell you how much it’s pleasurable to listen and see the characters come alive for one of your favorite books. 😌 I read this book years ago when I was still reading MF romance (I still read some MF historical romance from time to time but it’s quite rare). I vividly remember how I was blown away by the authenticity and genuineness of the protagonists at that time. Both MCs are neither astonishingly beautiful nor impeccably perfect. But those two imperfect chara
Baba
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historicals
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

Edward said to Anna:
"I am in you, and you are holding me. There is no going back from this moment."

4.5 stars.

LITTLE BATTLEFORD, ENGLAND, MARCH 1760
I don't want to give away too much and of course I don't want to spoil your reading experience. That's why my synopsis will be super short. Suffice to say that Edward de Raaf, the fifth Earl of Swartingham, meets Anna Wren while falling off his gelding--oh, please excuse me, Edward--you did not fall off, you were unseated. *cheek
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Sigh. I'm not one for struggling with unbelievable plots in historical romance - I mean, I did read and liked some of Tessa Dare's novels *giggles* - but in The Raven Prince my disbelief was so tightly linked with my irritation at the hypocritical heroes that it certainly ruined any enjoyment I could have felt.

Perhaps I'd have been less disappointed if I hadn't pinned so many hopes on Anna, who was smart and sarcastic in the beginning, but sadly I've spent the remaining pages cursing, where did
Pepa
Reseña completa: http://masromance.blogspot.com.es/201...
Ha sido empezarlo y leerlo en un par de días, teniendo en cuenta que es relectura, no puedo dejar de volver a darle las 5 estrellas
Siendo sincera, le sobran escenas hot, lo admito... y el tema del final se termina de forma muy abrupta. Pero me da igual. Creo que es de esas novelas que tienen todo lo que me gusta encontrar, chispa entre los protagonistas, luchas dialécticas con ironía, momentos tiernos, momentos de carcajada, y una historia
Sophia Triad
This is another incredible historical romance book that I had the pleasure of reading. And I devoured it happily at one sitting.

Anna is a spirited young widow who lives with her mother in law and their orphan poor maid at their humble home. Their financial situation is getting worse. So, Anna decides to get a job. Since Anna is highly educated (for a girl), she manages to score a job as the fifth Earl of Swartingham’s secretary.
They will not start on the best terms. Because of her, the Earl, Edw
Lisa Kay
description
★★★★★ Man-oh-man-oh-man-man! Elizabeth Hoyt knows how to tell a story! I loved every enchanting word of this one. In a genre chocked with redundancy, Ms. Hoyt has written a RomanceLandia fairy tale and distinguished it with strong, compelling characters; the fascinating main protagonists, a devoted hound, an insightful mother-in-law, the average villagers, the lowest servants, the devoted friends, and last, but not least, the disgust-worthy villains – they all leap off the page. She has peppered
Jilly
Huh. It was cute and had some funny moments.

The monkey is right. It was fine. Not life-changing or anything, but okay.

But, sheesh, talk about unrealistic, "out there", not-in-a-million-years would this happen stuff. There was a lot of crazy things going on in this story. Even so, I could give it points for never getting boring.

Okay, maybe it wasn't THAT crazy, but still.
Juliana Philippa
UPDATE: First read in May 2011; reread in January 2017 and was just as good and endearing as I remember. What refreshing leads!! Really love both Anna and Edward.

Absolutely fabulous - probably one of my all-time favorite romances (5 stars)
I cannot believe that I have spent so long avoiding Elizabeth Hoyt! I tested whether I had been right in thinking she wasn't the romance author for me when I read Wicked Intentions a week and a half ago ... and discovered that I had been so, so wrong! From re
Julianna
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Sensuous Historical Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" The Raven Prince was an enjoyable read which I thought had some rather unusual elements. As I read the first chapter or so of the book, I was reminded of one of my all-time favorite romances, Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels. While The Raven Prince does bear some resemblance to Lord of Scoundrels, it is still very much it's own distinctive story. Much like their counterparts in Lord of Scoundrels, Edward can be rather temperamental and boorish, while Anna is
Whitney Atkinson
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this book because I found it on a list of feminist romance books and I wanted something smutty but something that wouldn't make me hate myself. If anything, i'm not mad about it. Sure, there's plot points and dialogue and pitting women against each other and microaggressions I could point out, but overall, I think this book does a lot to challenge women's roles in society. Also the love interest had a dog who was amazing. So. I'm biased.
Tammy Walton Grant

One of the problems with reading a very popular romance novel after everyone on the planet has already read it, is trying to find something to say about why you loved it that isn't the same as everyone else. Everyone has already talked about story, the depth, the meaning, the writing, the Beauty and the Beast angle, the main characters, the steamy scenes - what's left?

I loved this everything about this book. It's going on my favourites shelf - where I keep the books that I re-read and l
Shin Mon Thway
Wow .. again and .. wow!!!

What a revelation!!! I read this book in one day so my face was practically glued to it. This was my very first Elizbeath Hoyt’s novel and I'm very glad that I chose this book as my first. I discovered this book under an article about the hottest, dirty romance novels and the title caught my attention as well as the description of this book. I've always been fascinated by the historical romance novels and it's a bit difficult to see nicely constructed love stories with

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

THE RAVEN PRINCE was the Unapologetic Romance Readers' December book of the month pick, and I barely scraped by, finishing the book on December 29th. But I did scrape by, and am proud of it! I was initially excited that RAVEN PRINCE had run, because I really liked the other book I'd read in this trilogy, THE LEOPARD PRINCE, and this one was supposed to be even better.

Here's the thing about Elizabeth Hoyt - she's really hit and miss. When sh
Nuria Llop
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relectura
Una relectura que he vuelto a disfrutar y a la que le he vuelto a encontrar los mismos inconvenientes, pero son pocos y de escasa importancia. Excepto uno: los fragmentos del cuento que introduce cada capítulo y que no tienen relación con el contenido del mismo. Aunque la moraleja que contiene el cuento, que es la misma que la de La Bella y la Bestia (la belleza está en el interior y las apariencias engañan), sea también el mensaje que nos transmite la novela de Hoyt, creo que son demasiado exte ...more
Bubu
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, hr
I just accidentally deleted the review that I had been writing for the past hour. And there I had already written so much.

I'm totally bummed!
Princess under cover
This might be my 3rd reread of the book since that first time I discovered the author over a decade ago.

Some of the plot is not very believable, a bit too contrived, but the story tugged on my emotions, and that's always a sign of a well-written story.

Anna is the perfect mix of ladylike forebearance and patience and wit while also a woman who goes after what she wants. Edward is a great "large, brooding, man's man" trope of a character, rather blunt and hard but with a soft heart and tender feel
Blacky *Romance Addict*
4,5 stars :)

Well I found a new historical writer for me <3 This book kinda reminds me of Lord of Scoundrels, both heroes have problems with their looks, but the heroines only see what's inside them <3 A lovely, funny, romantic story of an earl in need of a secretary, and a young widow in need of a job :) He has a temper, and she has one to match XD They are attracted to each other and fiting it, and I must say I loved every scene while they were working at his house XD great dialogue :)
We
Jen
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Jennifer Leighton

I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said in the hundreds of fabulous reviews for this book, but I will say Edward was HOT HOT HOT! Smallpox scars and all. Anna's a extremely lucky lady, indeed. A very well written book and I loved how the Raven Prin
Susanne

Historical Romance - 3.5 stars!
With his hands at the back of his head, squeezing water from his hair, his muscles stood out in sharp relief. The sun glinted off his flexed arms and chest, and his black underarm hair curled damply. Rivulets of grimy water, mixed with blood from ewe, ran down his chest and arms. His low-slung breeches clung to his hips and thighs, delineating the bulge of his manhood. He looked quite pagan.
I so wanted to love this book. I really did. But for some unknown reason
Zoe
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
OK I am going to say something that is very unpopular here: I did not like this book.

I believe that this book was Elizabeth Hoyt's first book, and a very popular book, too. My first read from Hoyt was The Leopard Prince, which came after this book. I was blown away by the way she tells a story, I still believe that she writes on a different level than a lot of the writers out there and is very talented.

But I didn't think this book was all that special. I disliked the heroine Anna intensely. I
Sam (AMNReader)
4.5 - one little plot point (and no, not the device at the end-is it wrong I was really hoping for that?) was too distracting for me. While the writing was purposeful and tight (in other words, REALLY good), as well at funny at times, I also have the beautiful/artistic factor, and here for me, I didn't notice that to be a strength (maybe on a reread!).

So why a 4.5, Sam? (view spoiler)
Erika
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erika by: Rizka & Rane : Thanks girls! *hugs*
Pheewww... what a mind-blowing read. It was...

iPhone Fail Pictures, Images and Photos

If I may give an advice - based on my own experience - reading it in public place is not a wise thing to do.
Ian
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like their men in stockings, and women in chemises.
Recommended to Ian by: Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Edward de Raaf, the Earl of Swartingham has a problem. After yet another secretary has fled from his service he desperately needs a replacement. But finding someone willing to put up with his abrasiveness and temper is proving difficult.

Impoverished widow Anna Wren desperately needs a job to keep the wolf from the door. She is even willing to put up with the Earl to earn some much needed money and manages to con her way into the job.

With small-pox scars from childhood, most women find Edward r
Mo
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this one. I love a strong heroine.

Of course, he doesn't have fair hair in the book ... Raven ... hint there Mo? What the heck. It is Friday night. I am tired after a long week of work!

"A good garden can always be restored ..."

“Oh, how she wanted this man! She wanted to hold him like this tomorrow and fifty years hence. She wanted to be by his side every morning when he woke, she wanted his to be the last voice she heard before she fell asleep at night.”
Blodeuedd Finland
I was unsure about the grade but I am just gonna go all bitchy on this book. Truth be told, I sat there reading and nitpicking and never truly connected. Did it make me want to read more by this author...no. Would it make me pick up more books by her if I found them at the library, no, and that really means it should get a 2. Which is still of course an ok grade.

So many things irritated me with this book. The first time Anna sees and hears Edward she thinks of one thing..is that how his voice so
Chan
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gobbled this up
description/

Writing: Sometimes the writing didn’t fit the era. I didn’t always get that 1700’s feel. This was disappointing.

characters: Anna and the Earl are both widowed. Anna is a forward thinker and challenges the societal norms. The Earl is taciturn, but enjoys a challenge.

Storyline: Anna and her mother-in-law were left in a financial hole. Anna has to work to provide for her family and she weasels her way into the Earl’s employ. The Earl is shocked to find a female sitting at his secr
Daniella
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

Take all my 5 stars, Elizabeth Hoyt! You definitely deserve it because The Raven Prince is nothing but perfection itself. Oh my goodness, I'm crying now as we speak. Damn.

I never thought I would read this book, actually. I'm not particularly fond of its themes; prostitution is a very big turn off for me, and the hero going to a brothel is my biggest pet peeve of all. That's why I'd shied away from this until I was convinced by a friend that it's really worth the time and effort.

And it really is.
-y.a
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr
I have heard of this book for a long time, but I didn’t have a heart for it because I thought it was some kind of angst novel filled with petty drama, annoying heroine, manwhore, mistress, miscommunication, blahblahblah that guaranteed to piss me off.

Okay, I was totally wrong:/ *facepalm*

In fact, the Raven Prince has a great mix of banter, likable MCs, steam, and adorable supporting characters. And it seems to offer something new apart from other typical HR drama:

1. The heroine actually compr
Unapologetic Roma...: Hoyt, Elizabeth // The Raven Prince 41 31 Dec 29, 2017 09:59AM
Historical Romanc...: BOTM January 1 to 15 - The Raven Prince (Georgian) 18 28 Jan 16, 2016 10:09PM
The Raven Price 1 63 Dec 22, 2012 10:57AM
Romance Lovers fo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt: 09-Feb-12 128 66 Feb 19, 2012 10:40AM
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Untie My Heart
  • Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • Yours Until Dawn
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)
  • The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • Not Quite a Husband (The Marsdens, #2)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Princes (3 books)
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • The Serpent Prince (Princes Trilogy, #3)
“Do you think 'Duke' is a good name?' she asked.

His face blanked for a second before it cleared. He glanced at the dog in consideration. 'I don't think so. He would outrank me.”
63 likes
“Where are we going?” she asked.

“Mr. Durbin’s sheep have begun to lamb, and I wanted to see how the ewes are doing.” He cleared his throat. “I suppose I should have told you about today’s outing earlier.”

Anna kept her eyes straight ahead and made a noncommittal sound.

He coughed. “I might’ve, had you not left so precipitously yesterday afternoon.”

She arched a brow but did not reply.

There was a lengthy lull broken only by the dog’s eager yelp as he flushed a rabbit from the hedge along the lane.

Then the earl tried again. “I’ve heard some people say my temper is rather . . .” He paused, apparently searching for a word.

Anna helped him. “Savage?”

He squinted at her.

“Ferocious?”

He frowned and opened his mouth.

She was quicker. “Barbaric?”

He cut her off before she could add to her list. “Yes, well, let us simply say that it intimidates some people.” He hesitated. “I wouldn’t want to intimidate you, Mrs. Wren.”

“You don’t.”