Start by marking “After Caroline” as Want to Read:
After Caroline

After Caroline

The highly acclaimed author of Amanda mesmerizes readers with a haunting, suspense-filled new tale. After a near-fatal accident, Joanna Flynn is plagued by strange dreams. When she is repeatedly mistaken for someone named "Caroline", Joanna travels to Oregon to try and unravel her connection to this mysterious woman and unearth the secrets of her life.
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published August 30th 2005 by Bantam (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about After Caroline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Caroline

April
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book that I read by Kay Hooper, and considering it was finished within 24 hours of me having started it, I guess I enjoyed it. :) However, that being said, I did have some problems with it -- for example, the dreams that Joanna had that were of Caroline, that turned out to be true... that was never resolved.

I did like the romance between Griff and Joanna, but I saw it coming from miles away.

The actual mystery part was rather anticlimactic compared to the rest of the story. I g
Dina
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Listened to audio book as I drove back and forth to school, which made it bearable. Probably not a listen for a long drive! The premise of the story is good - woman in auto accident, dies, is revived on the scene. Electric line falls across her vehicle and she is electrocuted, and revived. Lead up tot eh story was actually pretty good also. She connected with the soul of a woman who was murdered and set out to find out who the woman was and why she was murdered. This probably would've been a fin ...more
Diane Wachter
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Two women who look enough alike to be twins are involved in car wrecks at the same instant. one survives, the other doesn't. But the survivor is compelled by dreams to travel across country to search for the truth of the others life and death.
Anna Mcfadden
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanna Flynn from Atlanta almost die twice in a matter of minutes on a slick
Oil patch highway. The doctors said not only that she was lucky to be alive, and that she would also have suffer no lasting effects, but little did they know how wrong they would be. For that night the dream began...
"It was only of a house perched high above the sea, of a ticking clock and the lingering scent of roses." It drove Joanna crazy by waking Joanna with a sense of panic and of time running out . The terror she
Carol
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and add to the fact that Kay Hooper is one hell of a writer almost deserves a five star review. Written in 1996 it brought back memories of books by Phyllis Whitney and Victoria Holt, I read as a young woman. Compelling characters along with some tension, passion and mystery all the makings for a great read. Enjoy.
Jeanine
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Sexy moody with mist whirling everywhere. Lots of rocky cliffs and sinister dream images. Published in 2005 it is current for that time period. Hard to believe one strange woman (a look alike to one of the town's leading ladies) could gather this much information but it was a plot device needed to move the story along. I was given this book by a friend who liked it and I enjoyed it as well.
Randy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable if be it slow paced mystery novel. A case of mistaken identity goes haywire when someone is murdered. This is not one of Hooper's FBI novels, but it could be the closest thing she has written to that series.
Patti
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Just an okay mystery. Love affair was highly improbable and not believable.
Gary Hutchinson
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eav s you hagi ng one he sapponte ohe

wise s good reaI enjoyed his hook it is your your usual tast pace hooperbookth is neon g do
D. .
Ea
Kathy
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
To me an okay story. Grabbed me at the beginning but then I put it down. Finally finished it and was somewhat surprised for the whodunit.
Kristy Woodland
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Could not put the book down!
Marilyn Saretsky
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Audio. I loved the story line of this book BUT the author threw in a lot of cheesy sex that did not add to the story.
Dee
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Intriguing mystery.
Writing oversimplified.
Brenda
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was really boring, and the murder mystery turned out to be really anticlimactic, for me. Everything about this book was mediocre.
Beverly
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
A good writer, but a sugary sweet story. It drags a little and it was hard to keep listening.
Marcia  Haskell
'Joanna Flynn was lucky to be alive. Twice in a matter of minutes she almost died on a patch of oil-slicked highway. But when the doctors told her that she would suffer no lasting effects, they were wrong. For that night the dream began...

It was only of a house perched high above the sea, of a ticking clock and the lingering scent of roses. Yet night after night it awoke Joanna with a sense of panic. Its terror lingered throughout her days, urging her to do something—but what?

Then two strangers
Sara
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Erin
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I’m not sure how this book ended up on my reading list, possibly I thought it was by another author? But it had been on there for so long and sounded slightly interesting, so I gave it a go. For this genre, I’m sure this is a good book. It was fairly well written, but I don’t usually read this genre, and now I remember why.

Any book that has a statement like this “Dinner would have been better with you as dessert” is certainly going to illicit a few groans throughout, and it did. I suppose I coul
Linda
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Joanna’s car slips on a rainy road in Atlanta, and goes off in to a field, where Joanna has a near brush with death. Shortly afterwards, she beings to have troubling dreams about a woman named Caroline in a town named Cliffside. Then, she is stopped on the street in Atlanta by two different people who call her Caroline and look as if they are seeing a ghost. Being a research librarian, she hunts for towns named Cliffside and with the help of other clues, discovers that Caroline was killed in an ...more
Jamie Price
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was wrapped up into this book from the first couple of pages. I read a third of this book the first night I started it. Basically Joanna miraculously survives a horrible wreck that includes a long spinning, flipping wreck that ends up leaving her trapped without a scratch in her car. During the rescue unfortunately an electrical pole falls onto car and electrocutes her. Fortunately rescue workers bring her back to life but she starts having dreams and when she is mistaken for a dead woman, she ...more
Louise
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think this is the last Hooper novel that I'd missed reading. After Caroline was better than Amanda but still not as good as Hooper's Bishop Special Crimes Unit novels!

From back cover:

"Two women who look enough alike to be twins. Both involved in car wrecks at the same time. One survives. One doesn't.

Now, plagued by a bewildering connection to a woman she never knew, driven by an urgent compulsion she doesn't understand, Joanna Flynn travels three thousand miles across the country to the pictur
Linda
This was my first book that I read from Kay Hooper. I enjoyed it so much I started to read the Bishop series. This romantic mystery had a different type of plot and the author made it a very interesting read. Two women, Caroline and Joanne, are connected through an accident. Caroline, who lives at the opposite end of the US dies; at the same time Joanne is in a car accident but she survives.

Joanne is left with conflicting feelings and purpose...just why does she feel drawn to Caroline and the fa
Marcia  Haskell
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
'The moment Amanda defied her rich and powerful father to marry Bobby O'Leary, Big Max disowned her. Even now, with Bobby dead and Amanda mired in debt, he refuses to forgive her.But Caleb, the new man in Amanda's life, is determined to mend fences between father and daughter. He also has a far more personal mission—to make Amanda and her family his own. But when she learns how close he is to Big Max and the secret Caleb's been hiding, there's every chance she could walk away.As a pastor, Caleb' ...more
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oregon
Atlanta, GA resident Joanna Flynn dies in a car accident, but is brought back to life. Three thousand miles away in Cliffside, OR, Caroline McKenna, who resembles Joanna so closely in looks, that they could be twins, also dies in a car accident at the exact same time, but does not survive. That's when Joanna begins having the dreams that eventually lead her to Cliffside, to find out the truth behind Caroline's death, and what lies beneath the peaceful exterior of the town Caroline once called ho ...more
Kenzi
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Two woman share the same face, the same build- so much so that people of Caroline McKenna's town would go as far as to think Joanna Flynn could be her reincarnated. But when she comes to town to investigate, it fastly becomes clear Joanna is anything like the vulnerable, insensitive mother Caroline had been.
Joanna is determined to hunt down the killer while finding love along the way. But will that love rescue her in time before her times of cheating death are over?
Amazing book- and recommend
Ferne
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a page-turner! I've read Kay Hooper's offerings before but this is now definitely my favorite title by this author. I tried very carefully to figure out all of the pieces as the author finished the presentation. I was successful with some pieces of the puzzle but there was one piece of the puzzle that I definitely didn't see coming... If you missed reading this earlier book by Kay Hooper, I suggest you try to locate a copy. It will not disappoint! :)
Diane
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Book was ok but you have to start by accepting the idea you can dream of a real place you have never been or heard about and suspend your disbelief. It turned out to have a light not totally satisfying romance amidst a mystery the main character solves by traveling across the entire country. I would be willing to try another book from this author because over all I enjoyed the writing style just did not totally love the new age idea of dream details proving to be real.
Carol
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Joanna Flynn is almost killed in a car accident when a high voltage power line falls on the car and electrocutes her. She is saved and starts to have repetitive dreams that force her to try and figure out why the recurring dreams are happening. She travels 3000 miles across the country to try and find out the why behind the dreams and helps the small town sheriff solve 3 unrelated deaths or are they.
Kind of different but the story was good enough to keep me interested!
Kim
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
A contemporary gothic which utilizes the gothic elements in an even-handed manner. The clue to the puzzle is introduced far enough into the story that it doesn't get to be a burden and moves the plot through quickly to the story's climax. This was the first Kay Hooper I'd read, and I'll more than likely be looking for her other titles.
Emily Higgins
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
After a car accident in which she has to be brought back from death, Joanna Flynn starts having dreams that haunt her. She manages to find out that her dreams are tied to a woman on the West coast who died at the same time that Joanna had her accident. Joanna goes to the other woman's home to find out the meaning of her dreams. An intriguing mystery.

• Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Out of the Dark
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Reap The Wind (Wind Dancer, #3)
  • Cold Target
  • Unforgivable
  • The Secret Sister
  • Now You See Her
  • After Twilight
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • Out of Sight (Court of Angels #3)
  • Cutting Loose (Steele Street, #8)
  • The Survivors
  • Scent of Danger
  • Strangers In Paradise
  • Ghost Moon  (Bone Island Trilogy, #3)
  • The Cabin (Carriage House, #2)
  • Edge of Danger (T-FLAC, #8)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan