Start by marking “The Urantia Book” as Want to Read:
The Urantia Book

The Urantia Book

You have just discovered the literary masterpiece that answers your questions about God, life in the inhabited universe, the history and future of this world, and the life of Jesus.  The Urantia Book harmonizes history, science, and religion into a philosophy of living that brings new meaning and hope into your life. If you are searching for answers, read The Urantia Book! ...more
Hardcover, 2097 pages
Published June 1st 2008 by Urantia Foundation (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Urantia Book, please sign up.
Jack But I didn't read it 'high'...I've now read it twice!!! And am even more convinced of it's epochal contribution to the enlargement of our concepts of …moreBut I didn't read it 'high'...I've now read it twice!!! And am even more convinced of it's epochal contribution to the enlargement of our concepts of reality...it's fantastic...!

Now...what's your problem bub??(less)
Jekyblue God no. I know people who find and read only the "good parts" but it's a tough slog through dense, contrived, "biblical" language.

Start your review of The Urantia Book
Heidi
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
About the Urantia Book
Posted on GoodReads September 18, 2009

This is my favorite book. I have been reading it, on and off, since 1972. It is the most complete, informative, reassuring, stimulating, mind-blowing, and inspiring book I have ever read. This book becomes a best friend that you always want near at hand. I have read it cover to cover a couple of times, and I have read sections over and over. I always interpret it in new ways, gaining new insights with every read. The Urantia Book has be
Lisa Withrow
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-influential
My mom was in a Urantia study group, at her church, in the '70s. I read some of it then, at 14 I asked her, "You do realize this book says we evolve from aliens don't you?"

I found it after she died, while cleaning out her house, and read it cover to cover. I loved the margin notes and highlghts she had left. It is an amazing read. My favorite sections are the history of Earth (Urantia) and the intricate story behind the 20+ years of Jesus' life not covered in the New Testament.

Long story short
Mitchell Tsai
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Saved my life. Main reason I didn't suicide in 1986 at the beginning of a 12-yr suicidal depression 1986-98, and one of the main reasons I became spiritual after growing up in an atheistic/agnostic family.

Almost completed replaced other cosmologies in my beliefs (Caveat: My early training as a mathematician & scientist...means that I hold many inconsistent views of reality simultaneously). Overall, I have a 99+% belief in this not-channelled, but esoteric work.

It's one of the VERY RARE books whi
Michael Westbrook
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
100:4.4 "In physical life the senses tell of the existence of things; mind discovers the reality of meanings; but the spiritual experience reveals to the individual the true values of life. These high levels of human living are attained in the supreme love of God and in the unselfish love of man. If you love your fellow men, you must have discovered their values. Jesus loved men so much because he placed such a high value upon them. You can best discover values in your associates by discovering ...more
Sverre
I thought that a detailed critique, on a rational level, should be presented for such a major “revelatory” religious work but this will be short and to the point. I studied the Urantia Book (UB) in the 80s and for a brief time it impressed me to the point where I felt it had much to offer and should indeed be regarded as worthy of serious consideration to help guide mankind towards a better spiritual and social existence. The UB has many admirers but it has largely been ignored by academics, the ...more
Stephen Beam
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Urantia Book is the only book I've read over and over again, each reading more amazing than the last.

I'm not going to attempt to describe the contents - it is in the public domain - grab a copy and become a citizen of the universe of universes.
Grayson
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
First of all, this book is not for everyone. It deals with the creation of our universe, the history of man, energy, time, space, and the reason for the fabric of our existence. I feel this book is way ahead of it's time. Now many of the ideas presented in this book contradict Christianity and virtually all dogma in some form or another. This book is very long and I will be reading it for many years to come.

The contents of this book came to be through "channeling." For those of you who don't kno
Spike Gomes
My first memory of the Urantia Book was as a child marveling over the thickness and heft of the book in the reference section of the public library. Of course, being a child I didn't really understand the contents of it at all. Later as a scholar of religion, I procured a copy for myself, as I gathered quite a few of the various sacred texts of the world. I made a single attempt to read it back then, but the sheer density and obtuseness of the first few papers had me laying it aside and there it ...more
Mikey
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Depending on ones point of view it either:
1)imaginatively expands on the broader aspects of possible reality throughout the Universes of Universes and the history of earth from a religious/scientific worldview
2)Corrects many of the false beliefs regarding G_d, history, religion and politics, science etc. and especially focuses on correcting the beliefs about Jesus, his life, his mission, the purpose of it all with regard to salvation and the true religion that Jesus intended his followers to h
W.C.
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frightening. So you've got this book mostly written in the 30s by a bunch of freaky weirdies. And it says some awesome stuff like "And God spoke and said the proton is one thousand times the mass of an electron" and other totally out-of-nowhere-ness. Most people focus on the overwhelming cosmology at the beginning of the book, or the biography of Christ at the end; both those sections just drag after a while and don't have much to add. I got into the middle sections, the philosophical/scientific ...more
Kristen Johansen
Nov 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Paper 64 is very telling.....eugenics are definitely not a good thing and Europeans are not better stock because they did not stay in Africa to breed with the "lesser stock". Also, the book is absolutely loaded with 3-dollar words that often could have very easily used simplified alternatives. My gut rejects this as tripe no matter where it came from.
Mark Branham
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I know how fortunate I am to have been relatively free of so-called religious "stuff" when I came upon this book back in 1980. I count this freedom from dogma as the main reason I was able to read this book and judge it on its own. It has certainly changed my life, and will do the same for anyone who assimilates this book into their own life. While you must do your own work and make your own progress, the rewards are infinite. Too many people will come to this with preconceived notions of what r ...more
78speed
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the most amazing, powerful, transforming and enlightening book on the planet. That this is not the most lightweight read would be an understatement. If you get into this book, you'll be reading it for life, and the more you read the more amazing the whole picture becomes. And once the significance of the book itself (a one-of-a-kind epochal revelation) is grasped, one's perspective of this crazy backward planet earth in time and space, will be changed forever.
Aaron Schiffer
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've had the distinct pleasure of having one branch of my group of friends, actually believe this and form book study groups around it. So fun. But so reminiscent of Christianity and its Bible studies, it makes one shudder. The third part is where it really gets going, elaborating on the history of the universe and of man, and the fourth part about Jesus is pretty in depth. Just don't drink the Kool-Aid and it's fine. The fact that it IS Kool-Aid for some people is scary though.
Owlseyes
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who dictated this Cosmological, Philosophical, Religious.... sort of compendium to W. Sadler is still a mystery.

Mind-boggling, yet worth-pondering. Some aspects of science approached are too advanced for the time it was dictated (from mid 1920's till 1950).
A-bookworm
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, let me say I have NOT finished this book, which I know is wimpy since it's only 2,132 pages, pages thinner than onion skin. But I would like to meet the person who can sit down and read this from cover to cover w/o having to take long breaks, because this book is a mind bender. Whether you are a staunch believer in any religion or a total atheist, if you delve deep enough into this book it will leave you thoroughly rattled.

Secondly, let me say this has been well reviewed under a shor
Edd Knowles
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Brother Dave Jesusonian
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Truth-seekers, Theologians, Ministers
Recommended to Brother Dave by: a co-worker in Nov 1975
This is my most perused book for nearly 40 years to date. I still read and share some selections everyday. This is a very advanced, complex, 2097 page book which few mortals will want to initially peruse cover-cover. So, I suggest you look at http://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-s... and start reading at any place of interest or of your expertise. This Fifth Epochal Revelation of Truth was indited into English by supernal beings circa year 1935, and given to help advance all peoples and religions ...more
Rachaelbg Bertos Haviland
Read this cover to cover about 10 years ago. Hmmmm. Found it very interesting, had some strange dreams while reading it, don't really know how to rate it, or review it. All I can say is I would love to be in a room with the group of people who wrote this book, have a drink, and a long conversation.....
T-Tèche
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let me just say that I had to read and re-read these pages because of the content. So intense and prolific. I felt, at times, that this book came from a higher source. I recommend this book to everyone, definitely a must-read.
Sekhemetshathor
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing

For the week starting Sunday, June 21st:

June 21

The intellectual earmark of religion is certainty; the philosophical characteristic is consistency; the social fruits are love and service. [The Urantia Book, p. 1126, par. 5:]

June 22

Many who are inwardly sure about God fear to assert such feelings of certainty because of the multiplicity and cleverness of those who assemble objections and magnify difficulties about believing in God. [The Urantia Book, p. 1126, par. 6:]

June 23

It requires no great de
J.Z. Murdock
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had this book for decades before I learned much about where it came from. It is an amazing book to read just to wonder about it's validity or origins. Then I found out its origins.

From a functional point of view, there is not much in this book to elevate you spiritually. I doesn't have the answer. But that being said, to each their own and you have to make up your own mind.

However, to read it from the beginning, can do things to your mind. People tend to browse this book and discount its use
Leonard Wayne
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
First of all, this is just a book and it is not for everyone. Sound doctrine is essential for a Christian’s discipleship and growth because what we believe determines how we live. The entire Christian life depends on sound doctrine: we can’t worship God or grow in holiness or serve others or share the gospel without it.Now many of the ideas presented in this book contradict Christianity and virtually all dogma in some form or another.
This book is very long and it is only a book. I will be readi
Christopher Selmek
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finally having finished this book feels like a milestone in my life. I can honestly say it has answered all of my questions about God, the afterlife, and Jesus, while presenting even more material for thoughtful reflection than I could have asked for. The incredibly sophisticated vocabulary, combined with the fact that the entire book is internally consistent, convinces me that no single human could have written it. The proof is in the reading.

Now that I know about the celestial hierarchy and th
Jade
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I became aware of this book from a Netflix comment on a movie I did not watch, and now cannot find. The comment perked my curiosity, but the book did not deliver. Does it answer all the questions in the universe? No. Does it explain everything that ever was and ever will be? No. It is the great uniting force that once you read it you will be utterly enlightened? No. This book is a few thousand pages of saying absolutely nothing, and trust me I am incredibly adept at saying nothing in a verbose m ...more
Stephen Simpson
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A very difficult book to review/summarize. On one hand, it's a batcrap-crazy collection of pseudoscience, pseudohistory, and pseduoanthropology. As a religious/spiritual work, it's not any worse than the core works of many religions that boast millions of members today and are generally regarded as "real" religions, and there are some pretty insightful passages and concepts within.

At a minimum, it presents an interesting and engaging cosmology, so even those who utterly reject the religious/spir
Nyoman Kiavano
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
You want to be enlightened? Read this wonderful yet very difficult to comprehend book. But beware, because all the information that contained in this book will blow your mind into a state that you will never imagined!
Darrell
Jan 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
"God the Ultimate implies the attained realization of the synthesized absonite-superpersonal, time-space-transcended, and eventuated-experiential values, coordinated on final creative levels of Deity reality."

Introduction

Supposedly communicated to humans from aliens/angels between the 1920s to 1950s, the Urantia Book (or Urantia Papers) uses a lot of unnecessary jargon, so it's difficult to understand. At over 2,000 pages, it's also very repetitious. They could have easily cut out 1,000 pages or
anChored tRain
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always give chance for anything to be true
THIS IS ONE LEGENDARY BOOK for scientists, fiction lovers, Christians and Atheists alike.
The first part is complex and brutal, I understand 70%
The second part is an amazing mind-blowing system of spiritual beings
The third part is a lil bit racist, but it just speaks from a biological perspective
"good strains, bad strains".
The fourth part is the new testament extended edition, with Jesus biography from life to death

Conclusion:
This book is the most OP
Revella Notvanella
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another I will be reading and reading for some time--I don't get caught up in the 'Is it true, if

its true, or how its true' all that, for a Spiritualist, its one of the most resourceful books I've

found. Doesn't feel like blasphemy reading it or doubting certain parts and discarding others, its

still that useful. My favorite parts:

Gods Relation to the Individual

The Local Universe Mother Spirit

Energy, Mind and Matter

48-54,The Morontia Life (Makes me feel like an Amoeba, lol, but hell thats why its
« previous 1 3 4 next »
urantia 6 39 Jul 22, 2017 12:54PM

• Goosebumps, Books 1-4
  • Move into Life: The Nine Essentials for Lifelong Vitality
  • Voyagers II: Secrets of Amenti - Volume II of the Emerald Covenant CDT Plate Translations
  • The Ambidextrous Universe
  • Edgar Cayce: The Sleeping Prophet
  • The Urantia Book Simplified (Finding God 14)
  • A Planet Called Treason
  • La chica del semáforo y el hombre del coche
  • 職業としての小説家
  • No pienses, corre más
  • Rendición
  • No pienses, corre
  • The Two Babylons
  • Ra Material
  • Jerusalén (Caballo de Troya, #1)
  • Quran: The Final Testament, Authorized English Version With Arabic Text, Revised Edition Iv
  • Tolstoy
Urantia Foundation was established in 1950 to be the custodian of the inviolate text of The Urantia Book and to ensure that the book's teachings are spread, with the help of readers and fraternal organizations, to all people. This site is provided as a service to the community of Urantia Book readers and in no way implies responsibility for any individual, religious group, or social organization.

U

News & Interviews

“39:4.13
There is no material reward for righteous living, but there is profound satisfaction — consciousness of achievement — and this transcends any conceivable material reward.”
2 likes
“In the forests man has always deteriorated; human evolution has made progress only in the open and in the higher latitudes. The cold and hunger of the open lands stimulate action, invention, and resourcefulness.” 2 likes