Start by marking “Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling” as Want to Read:
Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling

Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling

As a game designer or media storyteller, you know that the story is everything. However, figuring out how to tell it interactively - can be challenging. This work provides examples of contemporary games that rely on different technologies - and learn the storytelling lessons to be garnered from each of the past methodologies.
Published October 6th 2004 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling

Miranda Verswijvelen
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good seminal work on the differences between static storytelling and interactive storytelling.
Krzysztof
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Crawford is a well-known idealist in the gaming industry, and nowhere does it show more than in this book. The whole purpose behind this book is Crawford criticizing games in favour of interactive storytelling, and then "selling" his way of crafting interactive storyworlds - all the while stating how difficult it is, but also how much more "artful" than video games.

His analysis of the industry circa 2004 goes to show that he has been a recluse since 1992, and has looked down on games since, or m
Paul
I thought this edition was greatly improved from the first. It cleaned up a lot of the slower parts of the first edition, and organized the chapters in a much more coherent manner. It is a good introduction to interactive storytelling for anyone who is interested, but doesn't really know what it's all about. I would highly recommend it if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Chris Crawford is a fantastic writer. I love his cynical, grumpy-old-man style, which I think is a lot how he is in rea
Stephane
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting take on interactive storytelling even if I find that some of Mr Crawford's conclusions or avenue of attack are flawed. Many sections of the book almost read like a design document and as such are probably the most interesting.
Where I believe Crawford is the most off is in his attempt at re-creating the written novel while saying that this is the wrong way to go (at very least, it sure feels that way in that the systems are focused on text entry -or reverse parsing- and paragraph cons
Marek Andreansky
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read about the logic behind interactive storytelling.

I personally found the first chapters of the book most interesting as they described the theory behind creating an truly interactive story.

Sadly, I must admit that I skipped most of the other half of the book as it contained programming instructions on how to automate storytelling - this topic does not interest me currently so it wold be a waste of time for me to read it. I may however return to it later so it is good to know I
Rebecca
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, game-design, writing
I'm going to have to re-read this when I am back to working on my interactive narrative projects. There's a lot here, and some of it explains why the interactive narrative story I was working on didn't go so well.
Fabio
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great reading for anyone interested in interactive storytelling and what we can do with it. Worldly acclaimed game designer Chris Crawford just knows what he's talking about.
Dan