Start by marking “Duck! Rabbit!” as Want to Read:
Duck! Rabbit!

Duck! Rabbit!

New York Times bestselling children's book!

Smart, simple story that will make readers of all ages eager to take a side: From the award-winning author of Little Pea, Little Hoot, and Little Oink comes a clever take on the age-old optical illusion: is it a duck or a rabbit? Depends on how you look at it! Readers will find more than just Amy Krouse Rosenthal's signature
Published March 11th 2009 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Duck! Rabbit!, please sign up.
Beatrice You can't because Goodreads is for reviewing books and seeing which books you would like to read, not for reading books.

Start your review of Duck! Rabbit!
Susan Mortimer
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 3-7
Shelves: lis-565
What a fun book! This is a story of two (off-stage) people looking at the same object and seeing two entirely different things (is it a duck, or is it a rabbit?). The beauty of this book is that the object we are looking at is such a simply illustrated form, and it will be quite easy for younger children to look at the picture and immediately identify it as one or the other. The fun comes in throughout the subsequent pages, as both of the people offer up compelling evidence to convince the ...more
La Coccinelle
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is like reading a PG version of a Goodreads comment thread... except that people concede that the others may have had a point!

It's a quick read. The strength of the book really lies in its premise. The illustrations aren't all that impressive; they're not something that would make me pick the book up again, in any case.

Duck! Rabbit! is fine as a novelty, but it isn't especially interesting. I'd recommend checking it out from the library before you buy; it might be a little unsatisfying for
Shiloah
Creative! Is it a duck or a rabbit?
Kathryn
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
5 STARS FOR CONCEPT, THREE FOR EXECUTION. Love the concept of this story! I think I was just expecting a bit more. Would have been fun to see a variety of animals like the duck/rabbit doing various things, but I still feel this is a really important story to share with kids--shows how we can have different perspectives on an issue and there is not necessarily a "right" and "wrong" involved.

I still prefer a book from my childhood, called "It Looks Like This" with a variety of mice looking through
Tukunjil Nayeera
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-lit
Cute and fun! ^_^
Tasha
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two off-page voices argue back and forth about whether they are looking at a duck or a rabbit. Children will probably first see only one of the animals, but when a piece of bread appears almost in the ducks bill they will see the duck. Then when the carrot is offered to the rabbit, they will see the rabbit. This is a great visual puzzle that will get children ready to look at more complex optical illusions. The book is infused with humor that will keep any youngster from feeling badly if they ...more
Stef Rozitis
I really loved this book, because in the simplest and most playful way it calls into question point-of-view and discourse. YES!!!! Show children this as early as possible in life and then encourage them to use that way of seeing on every other text they ever come to!!!!

I think for the very earliest age-group you would struggle to come up with a better book than this!
Rossy
Nov 01, 2015 added it
Shelves: children-s
LOVED IT!
Two characters are discussing whether a picture they see is a duck or a rabbit. It's the classic optical illusion, but it's matter of perspective. When they add certain things to support their point of view, the other adds something too and you actually see both!
Personally, I am team rabbit! :)
Kate
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cute and funny childrens book about how different people can see different things depending on their perspective and environment. ...more
Amy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: My niece
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Duck! Rabbit! is one book that I knew was just not going to be something I would naturally pick out to read to the kids. The cover shows the entire plot of the book, for pity sake! I thought it was going to be insubstantial, overdone, and ridiculous, and it was. But I can see why this book does appeal to kids, especially to kids that are my nephew's age (pre-school). I can also see how this book can help kids in that age range learn to see things from different perspectives.

Nevertheless, I was
Stephanie
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Rosenthal, Amy Krouse. Duck! Rabbit! illus. by Tom Lichtenheld. Chronicle Books. Trade. ISBN 978-8118-6865-5 $16.99. unpaged. (Preschool, Primary).

Duck! Rabbit! is told by two unidentified characters in first person narrative each believing the animal is a duck or a rabbit. Sparse, bold, simple text is found in the upper top left and right hand corners of each page. "Hey, look! A duck"! "That's not a duck. That's a rabbit"! "Are you kidding me? It's totally a duck." "It's for sure a rabbit."
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Is is a duck or a rabbit? A subtle optical illusion storybook.

This is a cute book that is all about the gimmick. It was fun to read with my nephew who took a few pages to understand what was going on. We read this digitally and it was fun to turn on the narration. My nephew especially loved that since he has trouble remembering how to pronounce words, even words he knows.

I'm not sure I bought into the gimmick though. It always
Aimee Dars
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Based on a drawing made in 1899 by American psychologist Joseph Jastrow, Duck! Rabbit! is told through a conversation between two people who come upon a creature. One of the people is convinced they are seeing a duck; the other a rabbit. On each page, the duck/rabbit illustration is the same, large, white, outlined in bold black, but the foreground or background pages with each spread, until maybe, just maybe the observers see something different.

Duck! Rabbit! is a funny presentation of how
Connie
Dec 07, 2009 rated it liked it
We don't see the narrators of the book. All we see of them is their conversation as they debate the exact taxonomy of the strange creature pictured on the cover. Is it a duck getting a drink of water? Or a rabbit cooling his ears? Maybe the duck wading in the swamp - or is that a rabbit hopping through the grass?

The language is very simple, which makes it ideal both for reading to a small child or for an early reader to read to you. My niece was able to read it prior to starting the first grade,
James Klagge
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, children
This is a children's book that plays with the idea that shapes can be ambiguous. An early 20th Century psychologist, Jastrow, invented the figure that looks like the head of a duck and/or the head of a rabbit (the duck's beak being the rabbit's ears). This was popularized by Wittgenstein's use of it in his Philosophical Investigations, in the course of a discussion of seeing something AS something--what exactly IS the difference between seeing this as a rabbit and seeing it as a duck? The figure ...more
Kristine
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
now when i'm in a store with ellie and she ducks behind something to hide from me I just say, "Duck!" and I hear a little "Rabbit" come back at me. I know I've met a fellow children's lit reader when the exchange draws a knowing smile. A cute introduction to optical illusion sort of drawings.
Arin
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
A big hit at preschool storytime! This humorous book is a great introduction to ideas of perspective, point of view, even optical illusions. We took a vote based on the cover on whether the picture was a duck or rabbit, and then periodically re-voted throughout the book.
Linda
Want to start a conversation with young children about people having different points of view? This is the book. Fun and funny, and a fabulous ending.
J
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cool book, cool concept.
Sherry
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cant believe this one isnt logged here! Read it to a class today for WRAD. ...more
Abigail
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books Exploring Perspective & Visual Orientation
Author Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrator Tom Lichtenheld team up in this amusing picture-book examination of perspective, as two unseen narrators argue about whether the creature before them is a duck or a rabbit. It all depends upon how you look at it, as it happens...

Justly praised as a means of explaining differing perspectives and opinions to younger children, I think Duck! Rabbit! also works very well as an exploration of visual orientation. It's an interesting thing, how one "reads" an
Alison Strandell
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect for letting kids think creatively and ponder different perspectives.
Evie Milburn
Title: Duck! Rabbit!
Author: Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Illustrator: Tom Lichtenheld
Genre: Online Book
Theme(s): imagination, animals, creativity, differences
Opening line/sentence: Hey, look! A duck!
Brief Book Summary: This is a story about two children looking up at the clouds. The two children see the cloud as two different objects. One sees it as a duck and the other sees the cloud as a rabbit. By the end of the story both children see the other animal in the cloud.
Professional Recommendation/Review
YUE LE
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: predictable
Title: Duck! Rabbit!
Author: Rosenthal, Amy Krouse, author.
Illustrator: Tom Lichenheld
Genre: picture book, predictable book, Board book
Theme(s): different views
Opening line/sentence: Hey, Look! A Duck!
Brief Book Summary:
Is it a duck or a rabbit? Depends on how you look at it. In the book there is pictures of a duck and/or a rabbit. Sometime it looks like a duck but sometime it looks like a rabbit!
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Publishers weekly
The team behind The OK Book again plays
NTE
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read for CBR6

In Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenhelds Duck! Rabbit!, we start off with an unusual conundrum: Nobody is really sure what the main character actually is. Were pretty sure its an animal. Of some sort. Weve got it narrowed down to two, but thats as close as we can guess. S/he could be a duck see there? The bill, and the bread eating? or S/he could be a rabbit only witness the carrot snack and the long, pointed ears. Theres really no telling, I suppose. In the end, it all comes
Leslie Nunez
This is a very cute and funny story, super fun to read.This book is about two characters, who are never revealed, arguing about whether the animal they see is a duck or rabbit. The pictures are very simple, with just a picture of the animal (duck or rabbit) in the center and the words of the two characters we don't see on each side of the page. When I first looked at the picture of the animal, I definitely thought it was a duck, but as one of the characters kept pointing out how much it looked ...more
Libby Hutchison
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully written traditional children's book and was a very good read. It was a rather short story, however it contained a very much deeper meaning than just the words written in the book. This story is seen from two different perceptions. One voice in the book sees the main character as a duck while the other voice in the book sees the main character as a rabbit. The story goes back and fourth, each voice speaking what they thing the rabbit/duck is doing at that moment.

I believe
Rachelle
Feb 03, 2014 rated it liked it
"Duck! Rabbit!" reminded me of the optical illusions classmates and I could not get enough of in upper elementary and middle school. I loved being able to see two pictures in the same drawing. Focusing on one element over another could make the brain see either a young or old woman. Just like those illusions, I liked it when I could see both the duck and the rabbit.

This book reminded me of another picture book I've read titled, "Exclamation Mark." I wasn't surprised to learn that the same author
Katherine Wilson
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a children's picture book with 2 children as the voice of the book fighting over whether they see a duck or rabbit. Depending on the way you look at the picture, the student's perception can be different. At the end of the book, they change their minds and think the opposite of what they thought throughout the story. This book could be used in several ways during the classroom. Children could make verbal arguments for whether or not the animal is a duck or rabbit by using the pictures. ...more
Hayden Drescher
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Duck Rabbit is a simple book with a complex lesson. Every page has the duck-rabbit optical illusion being argued over by 2 voices that either thinks the animal is a duck, or a rabbit. They both argue their assumption based on what is doing, what is looks like, what sound it makes, where it is, and many renditions of those in one; all by only looking at the head of the animal.
This book is such a clever way of teaching lesson(s) on perspective and debate. I would use this book in a middle school

• Not a Box
  • Big Bear Hug
  • Rhyming Dust Bunnies
  • Duck on a Bike
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • 50 Below Zero
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Spork
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Shark vs. Train
  • It Came in the Mail
  • Ten Black Dots
  • Stick and Stone
  • Rocket Writes a Story
  • Dog Loves Books

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something