Start by marking “Abraham Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln

(In Their Own Words)

Abraham Lincoln tells the exciting story of the life of the sixteenth president of the United States using his own writing and speeches. Children will hear Lincoln's story as if they were really there.
Published December 28th 2000 by Scholastic Reference

Start your review of Abraham Lincoln
Paul
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This biography was a very high quality book be ause, it zooms in on the detail about parts of Lincoln's life. One part of the book is only based on his childhood and how he earned money (the book in the part of the childhood went very fast). But the book talked about birth to death. From being a lawyer to be president. Every detail helped me understand more about Lincoln.
Liam
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was okay because I am not really a fan of politics so that's kind of why I gave it 3 stars. Although I really don't like the book it told you that Lincoln was killed at the theater called Fords theater, he was killed at the time 7:22 April 15. That's why I gave this book 3 stars.
Larissa Fauber
Who could've guessed that the boy born in a one-room log cabin in Kentucky would become the president of US? His face is on the pennies and five-dollar bills. Numerous books have been sold about him. Films with a box office of over $250,000,000. What's so fascinating about his life?
description

To start with, he's a hero.

When young, his family couldn't afford his studies and, if counted, the amount of time he spent at school wouldn't be longer than 2 years . However, Lincoln set about educating
Taylor Shannon
This book covered the life of Abraham Lincoln. It began with his life as a young boy and followed his journey to becoming President of the United States. I enjoyed this book. This book would be useful to give to a student who is looking to learn more about presidents, or enjoys nonfiction or biographies.
Mary  L
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a quick, informative read that is perfect for children. It gives a brief, light, general overview of one of the most beloved Presidents life.
Lacey Ellison
Annotation:

Abraham Lincoln (In Their Own Words) is a biography about the sixteenth president of the United States. The book is written by a third person narrator, and it includes some of President Lincoln’s own writing and speeches. Lincoln was born in Kentucky and lived on a farm with his family, but his family moved often. When he was 9, his mother died, and his 12 year old sister took over for her mother by doing the housework. Lincoln worked hard on the farm and didn’t enjoy it as a child.
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"More books have been written about Lincoln than any other American," says Sullivan in his biography of our sixteenth President. Not all of them are well done - but this one is excellent and deserves a place on the shelf next to Freedman's Caldecott award-wining Lincoln: A Photobiography (Houghton Mifflin, 1987). Sullivan defines primary and secondary sources, then describes the life and times of Lincoln with a liberal sprinkling of quotes from the President and those who knew him. Excerpts from ...more
Marcie
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series of books (In Their Own Words) has value, despite being very sanitized children's books (ages 8 -12), due to the standard of using primary sources for its material. I am sorry to say, but after reading this, I am more convinced than ever before that the Civil War could have been avoided, maybe if Lincoln had a more forceful personality? And because of his murder, the South was never healed and repaired as he had intended... Apparently no one smart was alive and in leadership at that ...more
Dayna Smith
This is a series of nonfiction biographies of famous people. The books are written in a way that is easy to understand and are full of pictures, illustrations, and graphics that are sure to intrigue young readers. The series includes: Helen Keller, Abraham Lincoln, Lewis & Clark, Paul Revere, Pocahontas, The Wright Brothers, and Thomas Edison. These are great books to introduce readers to nonfiction.
Shelli
Wonderful small chapter book for younger and older readers filled with memorable information about Abraham Lincoln as a person, politician, father, and president during our nation’s most challenging time in history. George Sullivan did a nice job of describing politics in a way that children can understand and even enjoy learning about. A must have for any elementary through high school library.
Elle
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: informative, kids
This was a short, sweet, easy-to-understand biography of Abraham Lincoln for kids. It includes a lot of quotations and interesting facts. A large portion is a summary of the Civil War and what he did during that time, up to his death. His wife and children are not a big part of the book. It is definitely specifically about him. It was very interesting and I liked reading it!
Callie Stillion
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. Even though it is over 100 pages, it needed some more information added. More things about him and his family`s life together should have been put in.
Abraham Lincoln had a really, really cool life. Even though there was a lot of loss in his life, especially because his sister died at an early age an diseases took 2 of his son`s lives.
Overall, pretty good book!
Ss Ho
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gives a lot of facts. I like how it clearly tells what is happening.
George Sullivan copies some of the more famous quotes, and
never gets off topic. He also strongly writes the emotions of everyone
as well as wonderfully describing every character and event.
Crystal
A very human portrait of the man and the president (and his family).
Hazel
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-book
gbhjjbjbj
Damian
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a very informational book. It talks about what he did as a child, teen, adult, and up to when he died. I highly recommend it for people who want to learn about Abraham Lincoln.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 54155 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 2.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Amy Yount
(Chapter 12: Recommended Reading)
Gi Woo
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book doesn't let me get interested. But when I read the book really carefully and understanding, I think it will be a good non-fiction book.
Mandip Kaur
Shreya
Apr 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• So Much Closer
George Sullivan is a best-selling nonfiction author with more than 100 books to his credit. He lives in New York City.

In Their Own Words (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Betsy Ross
  • The Wright Brothers
  • Thomas Edison
  • Harriet Tubman
  • Helen Keller
  • Christopher Columbus (In Their Own Words)