Start by marking “Face Down Upon an Herbal (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #2)” as Want to Read:
Face Down Upon an Herbal (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #2)

Face Down Upon an Herbal (Susanna, Lady Appleton #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  268 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Face Down upon an Herbal marks the return of Susanna, Lady Appleton, an Elizabethan woman who literally wrote the book on poisons. While her husband is away on a diplomatic mission to Scotland, Susanna is summoned by Queen Elizabeth to work on a new book of botanical decoctions at Madderly Castle. But when the herbalist learns that a pugnacious Scots baron has been found m ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by St. Martin's Press (first published March 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Face Down Upon an Herbal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face Down Upon an Herbal

Gretchen
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wasn't overly impressed with the first novel in this series but I like to try to give a series two books before I decide to continue. I won't be continuing with this series.
I don't find anything likable about either Lady Susanna or her husband, Sir Robert. It's hard to read a book, especially a series of them, if you can't find anything to like about the main characters. At least for me it is.
Amy
Second book in the series, but my first attempt at the "Face Down series. Cozy mystery, I wasn't particularly drawn to any of the characters, though I do love this time period in history. If another one comes my way, I may try it.

From the Publisher

Kevin
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Elizabethan England, light mystery
Second in the "Face Down" murder series, set in 16th century England. This one involves more of the politics of the day, between England and Scotland. I liked the story -- well enough to buy the third in the series, anyway -- but the plot didn't strike me as being as complicated as the first book in the series, and I was pretty sure who the culprit was long before Lady Appleton.

The second book in any series always strikes me as the most challenging. The first book in any series introduces new ch
Violette Woods
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was the title that got me.

As a rule, I never read a book from the middle of a series -- even a loosely related series, where it's not necessary to read them in order. But the title absolutely grabbed me, and I bought it instantly.

Best decision I made that entire day.

The heroine of the book is a strong, vibrant, smart woman who uses her intelligence and wits to not only stay alive in a treacherous situation, but also to sniff out a killer and bring that killer to justice.

Heartily recommend th
William
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book, but the author needs to cut back on the use of obscure words. At some points, I was stopping every couple of pages to Google some word I had never heard of. I ended up having to look up 34 words, several of which took half an hour searching on-line to find a website that gave a definition. If she finds it necessary to use words that are this obscure, at least there should be a glossary of words at the beginning or the end of the book, as is done by some other authors such as Melv ...more
Andrea
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lady Susanna Appleton continues to delight! This installment in this series has Lady Appleton being sent on a mission by the Queen. She is told that she’s going to assist in the writing and editing of a new herbal but the bodies start piling up pretty quickly and Susanna wonders why she was really sent. This book also featured a lot more of the Appleton’s ward. Overall, a fun and engaging installment in this series.
Sarai
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
This is the first book I have read by this author, though it was obviously not the first in the series. I liked it well enough but my one complaint would have to be that it's not much of a murder mystery when all the suspects get killed, leaving you with only two people to choose between. It's on the lighter side, easy to read quickly, and the characters were interesting.
Jamie
still an OK series. I like the fact that Lady Appleton is so blunt and takes charge, not afraid to voice her opinion or stand up to men. especially in a time where women aren't given a second thought to really anything.
Paige
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A cozy historical mystery set in Elizabathan Britain. Herbalist/sleuth Lady Susanna Appleton is sent to a Scottish castle to solve the murder of a baron who has been found dead face down on an Herbal (book of poisons) written by Lady Susanna herself.
Imelda
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book. The characters were more in-depth, great details as to living in the medieval period, interesting references to the law, and just a great storyline. I'm ready to read more by this author.
Lindsey
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining Elizabethan mystery told from the perspective of a female herbalist. Although I do enjoy the Ursula Blanchard series better (just the style I guess), I will be looking for the rest of this series.
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent murder mystery.
Meg Mims
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Great second book in the series, strong plot and weaving of historical details about herbs and a woman's role.
Sharon
Aug 13, 2010 rated it liked it
An enjoyable series and in this one the plot really thickens.
Lizzy
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
cozy mystery in medieval times
Maureen E
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, historical
An Elizabethan mystery, featuring a woman detective. While I find that aspect of it a bit dubious at times, it’s a fun read, and one of my favorite periods of history. [Sept. 2011]
Connie
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the book. Easy reading.
Amy
An interesting mystery. I like the character of the sleuth, Susanna, Lady Appleton. Herbal lore is also interesting.
Fred
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story with explanation of how a monk determines a murderer using ancient techniques.
Beka
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am really beginning to enjoy Ms. Emerson's mystery. She's a bit of a feminist, but the mystery is good and the story is clean. I will definitely continue reading these pleasant herbal mysteries.
Lois
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
2nd in a medieval series. Lots of history in there without dragging the story down. Good storyline.
Ellen
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lady Susanna Appleton #2
Charlene
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great series with lots of Elizabethan history. Lady Susanna a great character and determined with her search for the truth
Bonnie
Though this mystery has history woven into it, I found the style contrived. The plot was good, though and I'll probably read another in this series.
Dani
Trish
Aug 14, 2011
Marcia
Jul 24, 2012
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Stone-Worker's Tale
aka Kaitlyn Dunnett, Kate Emerson, Kaitlyn Gorton

Kathy Lynn Emerson began writing as a child: a newspaper for her dolls and then a rambling adventure series featuring characters from all her favourite television shows. On reaching adulthood, she moved from New York State to attend college in rural Maine. Here she met her future husband in the first week. They married two weeks after graduation and
More about Kathy Lynn Emerson...

Susanna, Lady Appleton (10 books)
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • Face Down Among the Winchester Geese (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #3)
  • Face Down Beneath the Eleanor Cross (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #4)
  • Face Down Under the Wych Elm (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #5)
  • Face Down Before Rebel Hooves (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #6)
  • Face Down Across the Western Sea (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #7)
  • Face Down Below the Banqueting House (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #8)
  • Face Down Beside St. Anne's Well (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #9)
  • Face Down O'er the Border (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #10)