Start by marking “Learning as a Way of Being: Strategies for Survival in a World of Permanent White Water” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Offers a thoughtful critique of the roots of management education and argues that institutions of higher learning must teach managers how to integrate the discipline of learning into their very being. Such learning must be marked by strong self-direction, willingness to take risks, and integration of the learning that life teaches outside the classroom.
Published April 9th 1996 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Learning as a Way of Being, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning as a Way of Being

Dr. Chad Newton, PhD-HRD
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Peter Vaill's book describes a philosophy about lifelong learning which states that in order to survive in today's constant changes to organizations, people must adopt a sense of self that relies heavily on an active, perpetual pursuit of knowledge. That pursuit keeps them afloat of the strong dynamics stemming from constant change and any stressors involved with personal change. In order to overcome one's resistance to change and increase lifelong learning capacities, Vaill suggested that peopl ...more
Jeff Lampson
I have long respected Peter Vail in the OD community and looked forward to reading this book. The man is brilliant. I read this book primarily on planes and while traveling and I found Part I to be too heady for me and thought it was a bit laborious.

I loved the section on systems thinking and his descriptions of learning environments and approaches in corporate America was hilarious. I really benefited from the chapter on System learning. I think this is such an important and by and large a LAC
Kim
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
I read this book after I finished my PhD in adult learning and before I wrote Getting Messy. I liked his reflections on learning as a messy, creative, venture into the unknown. He's in the business world and the book has that flavor (of being "business-like") but I still liked it.
Jan Höglund
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Peter B. Vaill introduces seven qualities, or modes, of learning as a way of being, which overlap and interrelate in countless ways:

1. Self-directed learning
2. Creative learning
3. Expressive learning
4. Feeling learning
5. On-line learning
6. Continual learning
7. Reflexive learning

Vaill also discusses institutional learning, and points out how it is the very antithesis of learning as a way of being. It's a thought provoking book!
Dana
Jun 17, 2007
Leana
Jul 04, 2014
Joe Houde
rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2016