Start by marking “No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children” as Want to Read:
No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children

No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children

The shocking treatise that was a bestselling international media sensation upon its 2007 publication in France now makes its eagerly anticipated English-language debut.

A mother of two herself, Maier makes her deadly serious, if at times laugh-out-loud-funny, argument with all the unbridled force of her famously wicked intellect. In forty to-the-point, impressively erudite
Published August 4th 2009 by Emblem Editions (first published May 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about No Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Kids

Start your review of No Kids: 40 Good Reasons Not to Have Children
Amanda
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Corinne Maier sets out to give people 40 good reasons to not have kids in this short book. Maier herself is a mother, and believe she can give these arguments without needing to be told she'll change her mind once she has kids, something most women who don't want children hear (myself included). So I read this from the perspective of already having my mind made up on this matter. The "you'll change your mind when you get older" is the most common answer to "I don't want kids". Early in the book, ...more
Lisa X
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Let me first say, I have kids and already made my mind up to have children (obviously) but I still had to read this book! I don't know why, perhaps because I wanted to prove to myself that the decision to have kids was a mistake and perhaps I could bestow my newly found wisdom on someone else to save themselves from a bleak existence for 18 years. I'm glad I really didn't find that in this book.

This book wasn't what I expected. I thought Maier was going to give 40 good reasons not to have child
Melanie Schumacher
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book when you don't want to have children and find yourself in the stress of dealing with everyone else in the world that has a viewpoint on WHY you don't want them. It gives the reality point of view of what it takes and what it takes from with having kids, and the things that you've already thought about but "socially" aren't supposed to say in public to others.

If you don't want children - this book is a must read!
Molly
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
You know, I have not heard of many books embracing this theme, so I was very excited to read it. But... the writing seemed scattered and unorganized, with alot of repetition and heartless-ness. I mean, the reason for not wanting to have children is not summed up with "because people who want children are stupid," which seems to be what she is saying. It was refreshing in subject matter, but disappointing in execution.
Joanne
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this a while ago and found it very funny and tongue-in-cheek; this is not a serious book for people trying to decide whether or not to have kids. It's a pretty short book with very cynical, sarcastic overtones, which will be a breath of fresh air for our child-worshipping, baby-bump obsessed culture.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I've always known I didn't want kids and so chose to be childfree (rather than childless).

Maier makes some great arguments to not have kids. For me, nothing about having kids appealed to me and I was never interested in it. I had no desire to go through a pregnancy and actually give birth. Plus I like my time being my own and wasn't willing to be responsible for someone else. Better to admit it and make the decision before having kids.

The book is translated from French so I found it a bit awkwar
Drops_of_jupiter
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome so far! I am happy that a parent no less is admitting what I have thought about kids for so long!
Miss Ryoko
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Pre-reading thoughts: I am sure I will agree with all 40 reasons

What I loved most about this book was Corinne Maier's unapologetic approach to her forty reasons. This is a woman who has two children herself, and she is not afraid to speak up and speak out and be completely and utterly honest with the harsh reality that comes along with having children, no matter how many people would audibly gasp at her audacity to say what they're all secretly thinking.

Many of her reasons are 100% accurate as
Valerie Sherman
Sep 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to reading this woman's perspective on living a child-free life, but I have two gripes: (1) many of her reasons are repetitive and (2) the explanation for her reasons is often rambling, too sweeping, or unsupported by evidence.

That said, I did enjoy the book overall mainly for her hilariously bitter turns of phrases, which I think she can only get away with because she is French. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Breastfeeding is slavery."

"Child-parent dialogue is insa
Wendy
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
If you are looking for the answer on whether or not to have children, you won't find that here. You will find some fun humor and a few good points on why choosing a childfree lifestyle is preferable to the so-called "prison" of parenthood. I do credit her for having the guts to admit she regretted having children and was counting down the days until she could send them away.

It's a quick, funny read and has some good lines.
Tricia
Sep 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a great book! A much needed alternate viewpoint in a "baby/kid-crazed" society. She makes some great points, many of which you don't even think about. It is pretty funny at times and is refreshingly real. The only downfall of this book is that the author sometimes comes across as bitter, and some of the points run a bit long (going a bit off-topic).
Kyleen
Jul 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Extremely bitter rant from a European psychoanalyst/mother. Interesting concept (finally a book by a mother who is is brave enough to admit her regret of having children), but this was just so pretentious to me. I've read much better arguments for not having children by childfree authors, whose ideas I feel were way more grounded.
Linda
Jul 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
An over the top, sarcastic and pessimistic whine fest. I picked up this book thinking she was going to bring up rational, good reasons as to why people choose not to have children. Instead, this book is a disgusting jumble of judgmental and stereotypical rants that have no depth or factual basis - certainly not recommended.
Holly C
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice change of pace from the society driven idealization of motherhood. It's not what the celeb magazines make it out to be and may not be the right destination for everyone.
Krista Lukas
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
This is a great book on the reasons not to procreate and an excellent social commentary for both parents and those who “prefer not to have kids“ (from the book).
Sara
Feb 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Thoughts on "No Kids..."

It was more of a pamphlet than a book.

Some of the points were badly articulated, which resulted in some head-scratching.

If you read this and you don't have kids (by choice), it was the equivalent of a right-winger listening to Rush Limbaugh every day, or a leftie who enjoys watching The Daily Show. Not exactly challenging or mind-expanding.

If you read this and you DO have kids, there are lots of possible reactions. I don't have kids, so it's not up to me to try to guess
Lisa
Oct 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Perhaps if I was French I would have loved it. But I'm not. I agree with Corinne Maier on one thing, not having kids is a great idea. The way she wrote about it was cynical, ugly and sometimes ridiculous. Some of the things she referenced were confusing. But as I am not a French citizen I cut her some slack. It was her delivery and her tone that rubbed me the wrong way. Sure the idea was fantastic but she sounded like a pissed off teenager with a bad sense of humor who wanted to get back at her ...more
Colleen
Dec 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Nothing I hadn't really thought of before, but a super quick read and entertaining nonetheless.
Sara
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Over-the-top and judgmental, but mildly comforting to hear the voice of someone who doesn't assume motherhood is a given.
Roslyn
Jun 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Funny but not very factual.
Ingrid
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Funny and thought provoking
Erin
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
It was nice to read a parent manifesto I actually believe in, but sometimes Maier was WAY too militant about her anti-kids stance. Even for me.
Jenny
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
#25. The rest was throwaway.
Tricia
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
that is was going to be much funnier....it droned on too much to be funny....
Deb
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
A weird mix - half hyperbolic and half serious. All of it rather suspect for a woman with two kids of her own.
Saba
Jun 07, 2010 added it
She says all that I cannot out loud!
Fuzzydice108
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would 100% recommend this book to anyone who is on the fence about wanting to procreate. Being a parent is an option, not a mandatory thing we have to do.

I really enjoy that the author is a woman who chose to have kids—however, a woman who sadly would choose to not take the parenthood path if she could have a do over—in my opinion this makes the book appear to be less biased; there is honestly and truth within these pages.

Below are some of my favorite points that stood out. I could have put in
Caitlyn
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
5 Good Reasons Not to Read This Book:

1. Her tone is so condescending and negative that it affects her credibility — especially as the whole thing just reads like a rant she sat down and wrote in two hours when her kids pissed her off after a long day at work. I have read Reddit comments which are better organized, more thoughtful and more insightful than this. I even tried to read it for the dry humor people ascribe to it, but honestly it wasn’t even that funny, either.

2. Why bother calling it
Leigh
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
All my life I was basically conditioned (by society, not my parents surprisingly) that I was to get married and then have children when I grew up. Back in my school days even divorced parents were a scandal. But as I grew older I gave up first on the idea of marriage and eventually the nagging thoughts about adopting a child went away completely when I was given an adorable six month old rabbit to care for. What was supposed to be a few months until my co worker found a new home has turned into ...more
A.
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
I am definitely not baby-crazy. I am, myself, childless, and I've never had the drive to have children, so I thought that this book might be a fun read for me. If nothing else, it would be nice to hear someone else explain the logic so that I could use it in debates. I can even take bitter and cynical; that's totally my wheelhouse! I gave this book the benefit of the Rule of 50, hoping that it would eventually redeem itself. But, no. It just ... it just picked apart everything about being a pare ...more

• Madres arrepentidas: Una mirada radical a la maternidad y sus falacias sociales
  • Contra los hijos
  • La mejor madre del mundo
  • Heroínas
  • Nadie duerme
  • Días sin ti
  • Minimalistamente. El poder transformador de lo simple
  • Señoras que se empotraron hace mucho
  • No madres: mujeres sin hijos contra los tópicos
  • Guía para el vegano (Im)Perfecto
  • My Life on the Road
  • Vegetarianos con ciencia
  • Un autre regard - tome 2
  • Beauté fatale : Les nouveaux visages d'une aliénation féminine
  • Instrumental: A Memoir of Madness, Medication and Music
  • How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them
  • Arroz Tres Delicias: Sexo, raza y género
  • El último de los thaûrim
Corinne Maier est psychanalyste à Bruxelles et à Paris et essayiste.

Ses essais s'attaquent au travail, à la famille et à la patrie. Plusieurs de ses publications se jouent de la langue de bois contemporaine qui uniformise les discours. Psychanalyste, économiste, sociologue et historienne, elle est l'auteur de livres fortement inspirés par Jacques Lacan, Roland Barthes et Michel Foucault. Elle est

News & Interviews

“De fet, la lectura és l'enemic més gran de l'èxit. El malentès és total: els nens a qui de veritat els agrada llegir acaben sent uns guillats, en sóc la il·lustració perfecta. Quan era petita no m'interessava res més: ni l'escola, ni la música ni els passeigs ni les vacances. Per això sóc asocial i incapaç de 'treballar en equip'. ¿La veritable passió per la lectura fa que la gent sigui inapta per al repartiment de bens? És clar, exagero una mica, però els nens als quals els agrada llegir de veritat acaben sent suplents de la intel·ligència, esporàdics de la cultura, formiguetes del nen de l'edició, bibliotecaris o periodistes per encàrrec mal pagats i mal considerats. De tota manera, són gent massa instruïda per a les professions disponibles al mercat. Per a aquests amargats eterns, qualsevol reunió d'empresa és una tortura, 'enfilar un projecte' una càrrega insuportable, una reunió d'avaluació amb un manàger és el xoc entre dos mons. Aquests desclassats són nombrosos, però condemnats a l'extinció, perquè els joves cada cop llegeixen menys, sobre tot els que han tingut formacions 'prestigioses' en grans universitats o en altres centres.” 1 likes
“L'historiador Philippe Ariès ho formula de la següent manera: "El sentiment de família, el sentiment de classe i tal vegada el de raça apareixen com les manifestacions de la pròpia intolerància davant la diversitat i del propi patiment per la uniformitat".” 1 likes