Start by marking “A Good Enough Parent: The Guide To Bringing Up Your Child” as Want to Read:
A Good Enough Parent: The Guide To Bringing Up Your Child

A Good Enough Parent: The Guide To Bringing Up Your Child

In this book, the preeminent child psychologist of our time gives us the results of his lifelong effort to determine what is most crucial in successful child-rearing. His purpose is not to give parents preset rules for raising their children, but rather to show them how to develop their own insights so that they will understand their own and their children's behavior in di ...more
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Enough Parent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Enough Parent

JaNel
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Based on Freud which makes a lot of sense sometimes, and, others, just is a lot of crap. Having said that, I really enjoyed the chapters on play found in Part Two.

Favorite quotes and ideas:

*The sign of successful child-rearing is the child's ability to cope.

*p. 172 "A parent's deep conviction that a child will eventually do well, however long it takes, is the best protection against the need to push him to achieve or to be disappointed when he fails...or to the giving of false praise when it is
Jodi
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: child psychologists
I have read several books on parenting in order to do the best I can in raising my children. This book was referenced in a wonderful article I read lately (cannot remember the name of the article thought) and so I picked up this book. It was hard for me to get into because it was more like a psychology text than a parenting handbook. There were a few points though that I picked up about investing our time in our children and remaining calm when things don't go according to plan. The Sleeping Bea ...more
Danna
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite parenting books. It isn't a popular one, but it should be! I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I don't think it is the most user-friendly parenting book. Parts of it dragged, and overall it was a little too long. Bettelheim's approach and ideas were great though, and that far outshines the flaws in the book.
Julie
May 01, 2014 is currently reading it
Some good stuff; other ideas strange and not useful. I like this:

p. 172 "A parent's deep conviction that a child will eventually do well, however long it takes, is the best protection against the need to push him to achieve or to be disappointed when he fails...or to the giving of false praise when it is not truly deserved."
Rachel
when I tried of reading the book, I skipped to the end where there were some really useful thoughts about Santa, the Easter Bunny and how children repay us or feel guilty for being the recipient all the time. So, while it is not a book I recommend, generally, it did give me a piece of the parenting puzzle which I had not got from other parenting literature.
Pepe
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psicologia, pedagogia
Trovato in un cassonetto per la raccolta differenziata della carta e salvato dal macero assieme ad altri. E' necessario talvolta mettere in discussione il proprio ruolo di genitore, e questo libro non permette indifferenza ma qualche dubbio lo pone.
Toletole
Un libro con ideas interesantes y un amplio tratamiento de los juegos, aunque por su lenguaje, en algunos pasajes excesivamente técnico para mi gusto, se me hizo árido y me llevó mucho tiempo acabarlo.
Maggie
Sep 28, 2014 marked it as to-read
Recommended not as a parenting book but because it provides a 'profound understanding of children.' Yet to read.
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my two most cheriched parenting books!
Liz
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs to read this book regardless of whether you have children or ever plan to have children.
CAPANNA DURMONT
Ho registrato un libro su BookCrossing.com!
Amber
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a totally different parenting book from any I've ever read. It has completely changed my whole philosophy on parenting.
Elizabeth Hunter
May 27, 2019
Francesco
Sep 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy
  • The Discipline Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Better-Behaved Child From Birth to Age Ten
  • What Stories Does My Son Need?: A Guide to Books and Movies that Build Character in Boys
  • The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette: 50th Anniversay Edition
  • Your Six-Year-Old: Loving and Defiant
  • Kaddish
  • The Child, the Family, and the Outside World
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The Elfin Ship (Balumnia, #1)
  • Patterns in Comparative Religion
  • I no che aiutano a crescere
  • Tools of the Mind: The Vygotskian Approach to Early Childhood Education
  • Duérmete, niño
  • Il compagno
Bruno Bettelheim was an Austrian-born American child psychologist and writer. He gained an international reputation for his views on autism and for his claimed success in treating emotionally disturbed children.