Start by marking “Den of Wolves (Empress of Rome #1)” as Want to Read:
Den of Wolves (Empress of Rome #1)

Den of Wolves

(Empress of Rome #1)

THERE IS A SHE-WOLF IN THE SHADOWS…

It is 44BC and the rival clans of Rome are driving the Republic towards a violent, blood-soaked end. The jealous Claudians covet the power of the Julians, who are kings in all but name.

A tiny infant utters the prophecy of a goddess. If the darkly beautiful thirteen year old Livia Drusilla marries her bastard cousin, eleven year old Tiberi
Published 2008 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Den of Wolves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Den of Wolves

Start your review of Den of Wolves (Empress of Rome #1)
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Jan 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: couldnt-finish
What did I think? Bad..just filled with nothing but raunchy sex...and peeing on someones face is a turn on? Gahh..typical male fantasy book I guess and not for me.
Tara Chevrestt
I'm fond of saying..."If you are going to entertain me for 4 days (aka 600 pages), you better grab me from the get go." I do have a very short attention span and I hate extremely lengthy paragraphs describing dresses and trees and clouds. (YAWN) I will say one thing in this book's favor. It did grab me from the get go even tho I thought it was kind of weird.

Why weird? The narrator is 100 years old. (He also narrates book 2 so I guess he is about 115 or 120 at that point.) That's strange itself,
Mary
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ancient Roman politics was deadly serious - in every possible way. This was a very interesting and well written ongoing series of historical events. I was left feeling that no-one was safe, from the lowest slave to the highest of the ruling families. No doubt all too true.
Natasa
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Full of twists and turns, this book shall kept you intrigued and the historical aspects of the book were magnificent. Well researched and well told.
Jenn Phizacklea
Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read half of this book and then quit. Perhaps the truth is it’s just not for me - but here are my notes jotted while reading it.

I enjoyed twenty percent of this book, and disliked the other eighty percent. That’s a hard ratio to read, because just as I got sick of it, a good bit would happen that was well written, so I would keep reading.
But then I didn’t anticipate liking this book - it’s a type of novel I would never, ever have chosen for myself - a friend wanted to know how much of it is t
Gözen Durmus
Jun 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-books-i-have
Kitabın vaat ettiği hiç bir şey yoktu. Çerez olarak okunacak bir kitap bile değildi.
Sladjana Jankovic filipovic
Odlicna! Volim ovakve knjige!
Soa
Oct 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Редкая мерзость.

После прочтения ощущаю смесь дискомфорта, раздражения и разочарования. Я считаю, что это самый что ни на есть ничтожный пример вульгарного чтива. Мне трудно разобраться в односторонней любви и невыносимо признавать по-настоящему омерзительные поступки данных персонажей. Именно омерзительных - просто не смогла подобрать нужного синонима для описания подобного. И честно, не догадываюсь и, даже, не могу предположить, кому будет по вкусу эта работа.
Откровенно говоря, я долгое время н
Reader Girl
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I love historical novels from this era. I found this one interesting as it takes the perspective that the women of this era who seemingly had no rights to speak of and were at the mercy of their fathers/husbands, still shaped history, though through alarmingly and sometimes horrific means. There is a lot of sex in it and mostly it seemed unnecessary. A lot of potions etc that seem unlikely as symptoms are more severe than a lot of the 'drugs' available today. Overall though I enjoyed the book an ...more
Amy
Gave this book a second try and while the language was still more crass than needed I was able to get through it a bit better. Sitll far too much talk about people loosing control of their bowels and bladder

The only reason I gave this book any stars at all is for the depth of the historical research. I read this as an ebook, and there were no little markers to show when the thought stream changed tangents. I found that the book was very sexual, and crass. I continued to read it because of how mu
Julie Cohen
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This book me a very long time to read, and I just could not bring myself to care for much of it. It is disappointing because I actually really like the way Devenish writes, I just found the saga too long and monotonous. I realised how frustrated I was when I was just starting to get invested in It and a character got killed. I stuck with it, but ultimately was extremely glad when I finished it. I'd happily give something else Devenish writes a go, but won't be pursuing this series.
Brittany
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a good story and I'm a sucker for historial fiction anyway. My only real complaint is that it was very long and it became a bit repetitive. It was hard to follow with all the characters having very similar names (I understand this is how it was in ancient times but wow, it was difficult!)

Thank god for the family trees at the start.
Rozonda
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I have been able to follow this book because I have a deep knowledge of the characters depicted and when they appeared (specially the secondary ones, intended to be immortals and appearing long before their time)I knew exactly who they were. But if you lack this knowledge, you' ll simply get lost. Great idea, developed in a very confusing way.
Aeron
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A shocking tale of the extremes women will go to, to make sure they're prophecies ring true. Full of twists and turns, this book is like an ancient Roman roller-coaster which doesn't stop until you scream for more! Then there's Nest of Vipers... A deliciously wicked read, I loved every page.
Cass johnson
Sep 26, 2010 added it
Recommends it for: All lovers of Historical fiction
Recommended to Cass by: self

ThAT SOMEONE IS ACTUALLY WRITING FICTION ABOUT ANCIENT Rome and we ladies are loving it
Isis
Jovan
Feb 11, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Zeleni kontinent
  • What a Gentleman Desires (Redgrave #3)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • The Flower Book
  • Shakespeare: The World as Stage
  • The Daredevil Snared (The Adventurers Quartet, #3)
  • Fortune's Favorites (Masters of Rome, #3)
  • The Paying Guests
  • A Dreadful Murder: and other criminally compulsive tales
  • Turning the Stones
  • The Turn of Midnight (Black Death, #2)
  • Blood & Sugar
  • The Twelve Children of Paris (Tannhauser, #2)
  • Fetva
  • The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard
  • Rembrandt's Mirror
  • The Girl in Red
  • Sheet Music
Luke Devenish lives with his partner and pets in the historic town of Castlemaine, in the heart of the beautiful Goldfields region of Victoria, Australia. Originally from Western Australia, where he often returns, Luke grew up in the Perth Hills where he attended Eastern Hills Senior High School and Curtin University in the 1980s. He moved to Melbourne to pursue writing opportunities in 1988 and h ...more

Empress of Rome (2 books)
  • Nest of Vipers (Empress of Rome, #2)