Start by marking “Christian Unschooling: Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ” as Want to Read:
Christian Unschooling: Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ

Christian Unschooling: Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Finally, a Christian homeschooling book that allows you to think outside the box.
Christian Unschooling: Growing Your Children in the Freedom of Christ utilizes the essays of Christian, unschooling parents from across the United States and Canada to reveal a new way of homeschooling-one that is respectful of the child, the parents and the way God created children to be.
Pa
Published July 1st 2003 by Champion Press (WI) (first published March 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Christian Unschooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christian Unschooling

Katie
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the title, but ultimately disappointed by the book. It is obviously written from a somewhat defensive point of view, aimed at chalkboard-in-the-kitchen conservative evangelical homeschoolers. The elementary errors of spelling and grammar were not reassuring, nor was the author's informing us that while she was afraid of math and science, her 6th grader was able to count out an entire roll of coins! I do think unschooling can work for some families but probably not nearly so ma ...more
Havebooks Willread
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Havebooks by: Misti
Shelves: homeschooling
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I recently finished the most challenging homeschooling year I've experienced (year number 15!) and I needed some renewing of my mind and attitude. Even though we finished this school year a few weeks ago, I kept noticing my children continuing to pursue learning with their free time and that made me want to look into the idea of "unschooling" a little bit. Misti recommended this little book which outlines some of the elements of unschooling and includes several ...more
Sheila
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read this years ago, at a time when I was trying to convince myself that unschooling and Christianity were compatible. While I don't think this book promotes unschooling in its purest, most radical form, its saving grace is that it will introduce Christians to kinder, gentler, more relaxed ways of being with their children than they will hear from the Dobson crowd.
Brianne
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
This was a great book for me to read. While I am not adopting a total unschool approach to our homeschooling method, this book helped me realize a lot of important things. It helped me realize that it's okay to relax! It opened my eyes to the fact that a lot of learning takes place naturally. It helped me see that my children will always have things they're interested in, and that if I allow them to pursue those interests, their learning of a great amount of subjects encompassed in those ones wi ...more
Amber
This book helped me gain a little more knowledge of unschooling, at least as it is implemented by some Bible believers. The book makes me think of Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days by Nancy Lande, which I read as I was starting out learning about homeschooling years ago. Lande's book gives essays and perpectives from multiple families using many different methods about their varied homeschool days -- Brown's book provides essays from various families within the "Christian unschooling" subset of ...more
Kate Hyde
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unschooling
I am a Christian, and I plan to unschool my daughter (who is now 3). I didn't know there was a community out there of Christians who unschool, so I'm very happy to know that there is. I had never thought of it before, but it makes sense that children in Biblical times were unschooled. I was especially encouraged to hear Isaiah 54:13 -

"All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children."

This obviously doesn't mean that God will be the teacher in a classr
Emily
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I admit to being an "educated" college graduate who hasn't discovered my passion and is only beginning to learn how to learn. I definitely learned how to "do School," but I am finally immersing myself in learning and following my heart. Since I need my time now to do this, I need my kids in the best school environment for the free babysitting, but I may pull them out so we can explore this amazing God-given world eventually!
Becca
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book, though I don't think unschooling, in its purest form, is the path we will choose. I do want to include some of the concepts, like making learning revolve around things that interest my kids, and develop their passion for life. Very good book to read even if you have no intention of unschooling.
Susan
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool, christian
This is at least my third time reading this & I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was, after absolutely loving it the previous times I'd read it... I'm not sure if I'm just more knowledgeable about homeschooling in general now or if I just didn't really need to read it one more time!

This was a much-loved book for me at one point, anyway!
Leiloni Schulz
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book sheds the light on unschooling as there is a lot more to it than people think. There are also many ways to do it and there is no wrong or right way. One of the authors in a short essay in the book describes it as "Child led learning."
Staci
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Although I don't think unschooling is for me, I really enjoyed this book! It was thought provoking and opened my eyes to what unschooling really looks like and that it can be a positive way to grow your children!
Ariana
Sep 11, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: borrowed
Although unschooling is thought of as practically anarchy among many conservative Christians, this is a very good argument for giving children freedom to both learn and to know Christ.
Alicia
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
LOVED the essays by parents! good topics even if semi flawed writing. recommend for Jesus peeps
Jessica
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great set of essays outlining the many different ways 'unschooling' can manifest itself. Very God centered and encouraging.
Joy
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very Inspiring!
Vicky
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I get more and more convinced this is what our family needs, and this book was no exception. Good, easy to read, lots of anecdotes and sound theology.
Jenifer Riddle