Start by marking “The Evolution of Useful Things: How Everyday Artifacts-From Forks and Pins to Paper Clips and Zippers-Came to be as They are.” as Want to Read:

How did the table fork acquire a fourth tine?  What advantage does the Phillips-head screw have over its single-grooved predecessor? Why does the paper clip look the way it does? What makes Scotch tape Scotch?

In this delightful book Henry Petroski takes a microscopic look at artifacts that most of us count on but rarely contemplate, including such icons of the everyd
Published February 1st 1994 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about The Evolution of Useful Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evolution of Useful Things

Alex Ankarr
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have a paperclip obsession then boy howdy do I have the book for you!
Jen
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
My last book of 2012.

This book is less a "hey this is how things came to be" and more "hey this why form follows function is a bunch of malarkey and form follows a lot of things--often failure."

This book was not what I thought it was. But that's not always a bad thing. In fact, I think I got a lot of bang for my buck by it not being what I thought it would be. It made me think more and analyze more. Less trivia, more thought.

How things get designed and how they come to be is sometimes lost in th
Alex Ankarr
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loooooove this one. Only a little bit nuts.
Beth Barnett
May 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
The subject matter is definitely interesting, but the author's writing style is dry and not suitably engaging. I had to force myself to continue at times to get through boring sections.
Alan
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Patient seekers after minutiae
Recommended to Alan by: Having heard the author speak
The title and the physical design of this book echo—and intentionally, I'm sure—those chosen for paperback editions of Donald Norman's The Design of Everyday Things (née The Psychology of Everyday Things), at least in the edition I read. Norman's landmark work receives its due in the Index and Bibliography of Petroski's, and these two works do scratch very similar itches, but I'm convinced that the physical similarity of design is here neither Norman's nor Petroski's, but rather that of some mar ...more
Heyrebekah Alm
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is far more interesting than one might expect from reading the back cover. The author argues that form does not follow function and necessity is not the mother of invention. Instead, the major inspiration for invention is correcting the failure of previous inventions. Makes sense to me, although I always thought "form follows function" was more a rule for good design--as in form SHOULD follow function--rather than a truth about design. All of that theory gets a little boring and repeti ...more
Carmen something
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was ok
His later text is much better edited. I'm not saying that Engineers can't write or edit, I'm just saying that the 65 pages spent on knives, spoons, and forks was--oh, dare I?--bland.

Frank Stein
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book can't help but change the way its readers looks at the myriad of minute things that surround them. The author has an uncommon ability to notice all of the little ways in which our objects are designed to satisfy human wants and convenience, and, even more importantly, how often they fail to. Henry Petroski's main argument is that every object's "form follows failure," namely, that every invention is related to some perceived shortcoming of its predecessor. Like a good engineer or innov ...more
Becky
This was more a collection of individual examples of design accreted under the concept that designers try to correct previous failings. I enjoyed some of the storylines, such as the fork and the post-it note, much more than the others. In other chapters I had a hard time remaining engaged.
Kelly
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
On occasion, the reader can be caught up in an interesting process of new form through failure or necessity (for example, I had never thought to attribute the relatively short existence of McDonald's McDLT to the environmental shift away from polystyrene packaging at the time) but through most of the book the writing is too dry to truly grab. Some of the information could be fascinating, but unfortunately much of it read like assigned homework from a sell-back-immediately-at-the-end-of-semester ...more
Trena
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Trena by: Bill Bryson, At Home
I assumed that my now love for non-fiction was a matter of age. That reaching my 30s (and now 40s) gave me a gravitas that lead me to weightier subjects. In reality, I'm pretty sure it's a function of the current writing style for non-fiction. Reading this now nearly 20 year old book reminded me how plodding, boring non-fiction got its reputation.

Petroski's content is decent, and some of the stories are quite fascinating, particularly the cover story on the paper clip and the evolution of silver
Katerina Provost
Slow in some places but overall an extremely intriguing book! Loved it.
Kamal
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design
This is the second of Petroski's books that I have read now. I have got to say, I'm not impressed. He is a weak writer and an even weaker historian, but I suppose that is to be expected since he is an engineer, and a very noteworthy one at that. I suppose that I am particularly disappointed because the subject matter of Petroski's books are so very appealing. I love the idea of creating a history of the forgotten or ignored things of everyday life. Bravo to him for actually attempting to do this ...more
Aimee
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Petroski refutes the idea that form follows function, instead showing how form actually follows the failures (real or perceived) of previous technology. Although he is sometimes repetitive in making his point, his case studies of paperclips, forks, zippers, etc. are fascinating. Petroski writes with dry humor and a sly turn of phrase that made me smile frequently while reading this otherwise fairly scholarly work.

I also learned that Dayton is famous for something other than the Wright brothers a
What I wanted was a close examination and demonstration of arcane objects that were once a part of everyday life. Instead, I got this man's theory as why humans alter an object in the first place. Which is possibly the most banal reason I can think of: because it wasn't good enough.

I think you'd have to be a complete cloud dweller to actually take the whole "form follows function" doctrine seriously. All them dang modernist buildings got roofs that leak.

So, I enjoyed learning about forks and zip
S.
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
solid Harper-Collins / Vintage ebook from 1994; comparable to big six industry 'rewrite books' wherein doctorate or academic explains topic (in this case, engineering of household items) to layman's audience. paperclip, zipper, forks, wheelbarrow, you get the picture.

perhaps not such as a smash hit as 'how things work' (text rather than diagrams, mostly), but certainly competent, workmanslike prose 4/5
John
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, library_books
Disappointly dull - occasional oases of interest in the desert-like trek to the end. Also, rather dated, I hadn't realized the book is nearly 20 years old until, near the end, the author laments the end of his work phone setup, with its "row of lighted buttons" for outside lines, and mentions his rotary dial phone at home!

Not particularly recommended.
William
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Fascinating snippets of the evolution of useful things (see especially the development of the Big Mac wrapper as well as the soft drink can). For the most part, however, the narrative can sometimes drag a bit too slowly.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
As much as I like the biography of a thing idea, I'm afraid I didn't love this. I think Petroski just isn't my cuppa.
Jim Razinha
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting, but limited in scope. Good observations that very little is revolutionary...most is evolutionary.
Val
Did not finish. Not a good fit for me.
Josie
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: partially-read
Need to come back to this and finish it later.
Raluca
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
The friend who lent me this book credits it with forming his way of thinking like an engineer. It's didn't work *quite* like that for me. Petroski's simple, well-built and oft-repeated thesis is that, in designing / inventing / engineering objects, form rarely follows function. Neither the relatively simple paper clip, nor the massively complex railroad engine are "meant" to look or function the way they do. Instead, everything evolves through trial and error, through subsequent improvements (wh ...more
Kyle
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Disappointing. A Petroski should be exhaustively, extensively researched, in more detail than anyone would ever want (I'm looking at you, The Pencil). This book is a series of kinda interesting tidbits about various items in our lives, but none of them as well researched. That might be fine, if each of those tidbit was combined with some grand, continuous threads throughout the entire book - perhaps, about the evolution of useful things. But here Petroski's writing style hurt. I sometimes felt l ...more
Warren Benton
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
"Everything around me is artificial, repurposed things from nature."

"Nearly always when a new feature appears it has earned its place by defeating an older one."

This book is not the most riveting read.  It does, however, give insights into designs of things we now take for granted.  Discussing silverware, paper clips, and many other daily used items Petroski talks of their evolution.  For some of the items, he may have original patent illustrations or old photos.  I think this book would be inte
Randall Harrison
Meh, not really what I expected.

This book is much more a story about the philosophy and evolution of invention, design and engineering than about the useful things themselves.

Would have liked it a lot more were it more about the latter and less of the former. That part was interesting up to a point but was overwrought here. That stuff was not as interesting to me as the parts about the useful items themselves.
Erik Volk
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
At times very interesting and insightful and well written. At times, I had to force myself through somewhat boring, dry and relatively uninteresting chapters. All in all..an interesting book but I liked the chapters on the actual origin of specific things like eating utensils, paper clips, etc. Perhaps, I was deceived by the title and was expecting all chapters to focus on the evolution of specific objects rather than theories about form and function of items in general.
Anson Cassel Mills
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Petroski’s thesis is that form follows failure rather than function, though his own illustrations reveal that form follows any number of things, including cultural change and artistic taste. Petroski is a classic meanderer. Probably more readers will be less interested in his theoretical musings than in his specific descriptions of how forks, zippers, and paper clips developed, especially since Petroski is often lackadaisical with his transitional sentences.

David Shinabarger
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
History of the thousands of every day objects never gets old. I'd say this read like a sequal to the Design of Everyday Things and is a good intro into industrial design and overall product design. Especially as a framework of inventions and products resulting in solving immediate problems and figuring out ways to improve upon that initial design for something even better.

Now all I want is a fork with a dull knife on one side for cutting food.
Jerrid Kruse
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A detailed history of seemingly mundane artifacts. Rather than form following function as we so easily believe, the author claims that form follows failure (functional, economical, environmental, aesthetic, etc). Of course this failure is subjective and that any design that falls too far from the norm will be rejected (at least in the short term). The various types of failure drive the evolution of technology.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Correction 3 18 Oct 18, 2017 09:14PM

• The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
  • Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death
  • A Short History of Rudeness: Manners, Morals, and Misbehavior in Modern America
  • The Fallen Sky: An Intimate History of Shooting Stars
  • Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel: Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages
  • Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England
  • Collider: The Search for the World's Smallest Particles
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • The Pleasure Instinct: Why We Crave Adventure, Chocolate, Pheromones, and Music
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve Tales From the Dark Side of Discovery
  • Why Can't Elephants Jump?: And 113 Other Tantalising Science Questions
  • Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature
  • Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
  • Absolutely Small: How Quantum Theory Explains Our Everyday World
  • The Weather of the Future: Heat Waves, Extreme Storms, and Other Scenes from a Climate-Changed Planet

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Henry Petroski is a civil engineering professor at Duke University where he specializes in failure analysis.

Petroski was born in Brooklyn, New York, and in 1963, he received his bachelor's degree from Manhattan College. He graduated with his Ph.D. in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1968. Before beginning his work at Duke in 1980, he worked a